Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jerrylam

Training and Preparing For Ultra Marathons

Nope, its over 6 weeks. So you have to divide by 6, giving you slightly over 3 hours a week. If you want a more accurate number, remove Finisher 3 (See Table 4) from the sum of all the X-training hours of the finishers as he's somewhat an outlier 

17 hours ago, philip said:

Nope, its over 6 weeks. So you have to divide by 6, giving you slightly over 3 hours a week. If you want a more accurate number, remove Finisher 3 (See Table 4) from the sum of all the X-training hours of the finishers as he's somewhat an outlier 

thanks. 3hours a week sound possible :)

2 hours ago, simonleng said:

thanks. 3hours a week sound possible :)

But bear in mind that your priority will still be the training runs. Clocking the mileage is primary while x-training is secondary.

22 hours ago, philip said:

But bear in mind that your priority will still be the training runs. Clocking the mileage is primary while x-training is secondary.

will do so. but i am trying out 100km, so i can train lesser :)

18 hours ago, simonleng said:

will do so. but i am trying out 100km, so i can train lesser :)

the more u train, the more well prepared you are... so the more the merrier...hahhah

And so, my maiden 100 miles is just slightly more than a month away. How prepared am i? Good question. Building up towards Craze Ultra, i've only ran a 48.5km LSD during the Craze Ultra reverse route familiarization last month, and i'll be doing a 50km trail ultra this weekend for long runs. As much as i would want to do back to back LSDs as part of my training, my schedules doesn't allow that unfortunately. If i'm not too tired, maybe i can squeeze in a 15-20km LSD the next day after my 50km trail. 

I guess this week is where i'll be peaking in terms of my LSD training. Will be tapering down from here on all the way til race day. I'll be incorporating shorter runs with higher intensity and also more core work outs after this. So will i be ready by 12 August? I really hope so. 

7 hours ago, jerrylam said:

And so, my maiden 100 miles is just slightly more than a month away. How prepared am i? Good question. Building up towards Craze Ultra, i've only ran a 48.5km LSD during the Craze Ultra reverse route familiarization last month, and i'll be doing a 50km trail ultra this weekend for long runs. As much as i would want to do back to back LSDs as part of my training, my schedules doesn't allow that unfortunately. If i'm not too tired, maybe i can squeeze in a 15-20km LSD the next day after my 50km trail. 

I guess this week is where i'll be peaking in terms of my LSD training. Will be tapering down from here on all the way til race day. I'll be incorporating shorter runs with higher intensity and also more core work outs after this. So will i be ready by 12 August? I really hope so. 

50km trg 4 weeks before craze ultra leh, not well train enuff meh?

3 hours ago, simonleng said:

50km trg 4 weeks before craze ultra leh, not well train enuff meh?

If it's for 101km, should be enough as my longest LSD when training for my 101km previously was 35km. But 100 miles...still unknown until race day. 

7 hours ago, jerrylam said:

If it's for 101km, should be enough as my longest LSD when training for my 101km previously was 35km. But 100 miles...still unknown until race day. 

Thanks for the tips, I shall try to clock a 35km trg for my 101km event this year then :) 

On 7/11/2017 at 6:57 AM, simonleng said:

Thanks for the tips, I shall try to clock a 35km trg for my 101km event this year then :) 

Jia you brudder!! Race day is now EXACTLY 1 month away!!! 

20 hours ago, jerrylam said:

Jia you brudder!! Race day is now EXACTLY 1 month away!!! 

yup, 4 weeks and 2 days more :) 

Just come across this. Interesting thread full of advice and tips. Insightful reading. :)

Will bookmark this and when I am ready to tackle an ultra again, may check back in for reference haha. For the meantime, I've decided to focus on FM distance and below until I can no longer continue to achieve marathon PBs... FM is already punishment enough for my body. Hahaha.

1 hour ago, prisangel said:

Just come across this. Interesting thread full of advice and tips. Insightful reading. :)

Will bookmark this and when I am ready to tackle an ultra again, may check back in for reference haha. For the meantime, I've decided to focus on FM distance and below until I can no longer continue to achieve marathon PBs... FM is already punishment enough for my body. Hahaha.

Sounded exactly like @AutumnRunner, i could have mistaken you guys as siblings or a couple LOL

9 hours ago, jerrylam said:

Sounded exactly like @AutumnRunner, i could have mistaken you guys as siblings or a couple LOL

Hmm.. to be exact... I think cause @prisangel met with a good PB recently and this has spurred her further to try for more... I past that stage of the curve and now trying very hard for a little improvement(if i am lucky)...

14 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

Hmm.. to be exact... I think cause @prisangel met with a good PB recently and this has spurred her further to try for more... I past that stage of the curve and now trying very hard for a little improvement(if i am lucky)...

Yep, I think that with more training, I have the potential to go faster than what I did at Gold Coast.

14 minutes ago, prisangel said:

Yep, I think that with more training, I have the potential to go faster than what I did at Gold Coast.

For sure u can....and u r still young so still has potential to... go for it..

12 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

@AutumnRunner bro, so finally you realized that you're almost plateauing with the current distances you're aiming to PB. Wait no more...jump onto the ultra bandwagon soon. More PBs and new adventures await!!!

6 hours ago, jerrylam said:

@AutumnRunner bro, so finally you realized that you're almost plateauing with the current distances you're aiming to PB. Wait no more...jump onto the ultra bandwagon soon. More PBs and new adventures await!!!

Ok...soon... I guess..... :thumbsu:

17 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

Ok...soon... I guess..... :thumbsu:

Alright!! Lai liao lai liao...i'll be eagerly waiting for Autumn's ultra debut soon!!

18 hours ago, jerrylam said:

Alright!! Lai liao lai liao...i'll be eagerly waiting for Autumn's ultra debut soon!!

Sounds like u are very happy if I dun PB anymore hor... 

no lah dear autumn...u guarantee at least 1 pb when u enter the ultra world...50 km?? want more - 60km (the green race ultra)??? no lah, think I under estimate u...100km??? 100 miles??? 200 km?? 200 miles??, hahahaha

On 7/10/2017 at 11:00 PM, jerrylam said:

objective achieved 3 weeks 5 days before CU2017. Time to taper down :)

2 hours ago, kasyes said:

no lah dear autumn...u guarantee at least 1 pb when u enter the ultra world...50 km?? want more - 60km (the green race ultra)??? no lah, think I under estimate u...100km??? 100 miles??? 200 km?? 200 miles??, hahahaha

Wahahah.... 

21 minutes ago, simonleng said:

objective achieved 3 weeks 5 days before CU2017. Time to taper down :)

Tapering period always feels good...