trailblazer

Osaka Marathon 2017 26 Nov 2017

Posted (edited)

The 7th edition of Osaka Marathon is confirmed to be on 26 November 2017 (Sunday). This is different from the usual October dates, thereby reviving the November race date season which was last done in the year 2012 edition  (see http://www.osaka-marathon.com/2012/schema/gist.html )

http://www.osaka-marathon.com/2017/info/gist/index_en.html  (available in Chinese and Japanese language too).

Race course details and video can be watched at https://www.osaka-marathon.com/2017/info/course/course_movie.html which helps in race execution tactics and see how the actual ground is on race day. No silly nonsense such as route released few weeks before event day like certain big scale local running events here are notorious for.

Here is a video of Osaka Marathon 2015 edition recorded by a previous participant which showed the actual scene and experience 

A full marathon 42.2km and a challenge run of 8.8km are available.

Number of participants limited to 32000 (30,000 full marathon and 2000 challenge run)

Full marathon Details

1) Start time (9am, Japan time) and end time by 4pm (7 hours cut off timing)

2) Start point at Osaka Castle Park and end point at INTEX Osaka (near Hyatt Regency Osaka Hotel)

Full marathon race fee is 13000 yen for international runners (excludes compulsory donation of at least 1000 yen)

Challenge Run Details

1) Start time (9am, Japan time) and end time by 10:50am

2) Start point at Osaka Castle Park and end point at Osaka City Hall

Race fee for challenge run is 6500 yen for international runners (excludes compulsory donation of at least 1000 yen)

Registration starts on 7 April 2017 (Friday) and ends 12 May 2017 (Friday, 5pm)!

All the best who is balloting for a slot to Osaka Marathon and this is becoming increasingly popular after Tokyo Marathon!

My personal thoughts: Having done this twice in year 2014 and 2015, I give the whole race organisation high ratings from race registration process to the race pack collection (lots of booths to visit, freebies/samples to get if you take etc, big food fair, free wifi in the race expo venue), actual race experience (very fast/smooth baggage deposit to your designated truck, excellent crowd/volunteer support, food/drinks stations, very colourful and speedy costume runners) and post race (race volunteers giving runners VIP treatment and also the food fair after finishing the event)  :) 

Almost forget about the colourful rainbow medal and you can see how the medal design has evolved from the first edition until year 2016 at http://nws-tbz.livejournal.com/156539.html (my blog post to compile the medals from 2011 to 2016)

Edited by trailblazer
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

We had a common year of 2015 running osaka marathon ....:thumbsu:

I remembered that was your first time running in Osaka and you did a pb timing there from your blog post. 

This is one of my fave Japan racing experience. (other than Kyoto Marathon last year) 
Giving it a miss this time round, instead I will be joining the Yokohama Marathon in October this year. 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, trailblazer said:

I remembered that was your first time running in Osaka and you did a pb timing there from your blog post. 

yah man... and i know u did well too.. and it's pb as well if i dun rem wrongly... 

3 hours ago, ern815 said:

This is one of my fave Japan racing experience. (other than Kyoto Marathon last year) 
Giving it a miss this time round, instead I will be joining the Yokohama Marathon in October this year. 

that's good... i heard Yokohama is as good in the race organisation... do share more with us...

Edited by AutumnRunner

5 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

yah man... and i know u did well too.. and it's pb as well if i dun rem wrongly... 

No lah, I didn't pb for both editions of Osaka Marathon. Just had lots of fun, busily enjoying the crowd support and maximise time spent at the food/drinks stations :lol:

Sidetrack a bit, there are numerous Japanese full marathon events which one can try registering at popular events, JTB Sports Station, AIMS World Running Calendar etc.  I also notice that this year Osaka Marathon clashes with Mount Fuji/ Fujisan marathon 2017 (same date).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, trailblazer said:

No lah, I didn't pb for both editions of Osaka Marathon. Just had lots of fun, busily enjoying the crowd support and maximise time spent at the food/drinks stations :lol:

Sidetrack a bit, there are numerous Japanese full marathon events which one can try registering at popular events, JTB Sports Station, AIMS World Running Calendar etc.  I also notice that this year Osaka Marathon clashes with Mount Fuji/ Fujisan marathon 2017 (same date).

ok now I remember you mentioned about all kinds of food at the stations which I totally didn't notice... hahah...

they had changed the date to a month later... and it clashes with lots of other events... wonder why they want to change...

26 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

no hattrick already... hahah...

oh... so where else are you planning to go try for PB this year?

3 hours ago, beast said:

oh... so where else are you planning to go try for PB this year?

still haven finalized the details yet... a lot to consider this year...hahah

47 minutes ago, yh90 said:

Trying my luck on this.haha.

so confirm go if get slot?

3 hours ago, yh90 said:

Wow... HK, Gold Coast, Osaka.

You are on a roll for overseas run bro, though I don't know where you are finding your finances for so many overseas run haha.

6 hours ago, yh90 said:

wah... sure bo??? if this goes through (which is most likely according to what I heard), then you would be running 3 overseas marathon in 2017.... wahhhh

2 hours ago, beast said:

You are on a roll for overseas run bro, though I don't know where you are finding your finances for so many overseas run haha.

savings??? just save less lo for 2017.... at his age if he can afford, I think it's good.. to try to give it a go... I can sense that YH has a big goal in mind...

3 hours ago, beast said:

Not a problem if he is willing to go budget on both flight and accommodation, he should be able to complete 3 overseas running events for the year. Most importantly, it is the annual leave entitlement that is a constraint for most people having a full time job here.

40 minutes ago, trailblazer said:

Not a problem if he is willing to go budget on both flight and accommodation, he should be able to complete 3 overseas running events for the year. Most importantly, it is the annual leave entitlement that is a constraint for most people having a full time job here.

yes, leave is another issue... unless he goes for less than 1 week for each... 3 x 5days.... that would take up all/most of his leave...

4 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

savings??? just save less lo for 2017.... at his age if he can afford, I think it's good.. to try to give it a go... I can sense that YH has a big goal in mind...

3 hours ago, trailblazer said:

Even if he does go budget, he would need at least 4K for all the 3 runs? HK, Gold Coast and Osaka are not exactly very cheap places to travel as well.

Assuming he just travel there for the run and does some sightseeing pre/post run, he only needs to take about 3 to 4 days for a 5-6 days trip for each run. So in total about 9 to 12 days for the 3 runs, which will not wipe out all his leave lah...worst case take unpaid leave haha.

4 hours ago, beast said:

Even if he does go budget, he would need at least 4K for all the 3 runs? HK, Gold Coast and Osaka are not exactly very cheap places to travel as well.

Assuming he just travel there for the run and does some sightseeing pre/post run, he only needs to take about 3 to 4 days for a 5-6 days trip for each run. So in total about 9 to 12 days for the 3 runs, which will not wipe out all his leave lah...worst case take unpaid leave haha.

don't forget he might have some carried forward annual leave...

44 minutes ago, medic said:

don't forget he might have some carried forward annual leave...

Or maybe he is in management level already so more than 21 days of leave...

Or self-employed so leave is not an issue?

actually I do have some friends who travel to run and then come back on Monday already.... so basically only use up 2 days of leave?

10 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

actually I do have some friends who travel to run and then come back on Monday already.... so basically only use up 2 days of leave?

if 4 days go Japan...bo hua....but where did they go?

6 minutes ago, medic said:

if 4 days go Japan...bo hua....but where did they go?

go there one day before collect race pack... sleep... next day run marathon... then go sightsee around the area, next day sightsee half day, pack up and fly back.....

21 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

go there one day before collect race pack... sleep... next day run marathon... then go sightsee around the area, next day sightsee half day, pack up and fly back.....

I think only for runs nearby bah...

If fly Gold Coast or Japan for a run, really very bo hua to just be there for 4 days (Fri-Mon) and come back, travelling alone takes 2 days liao...

• Like 1