lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon - 2-3 Dec 2017

Yup I hope so my Nike app is wrong. But then again lot of runners get the same distance like me as I can hear them during the run. It seems like forever after the 35km mark. My brain is so confused to chong or not to chong. My app says 37km and it's just 5km more to finish but the distance marker is so big that it can't be wrong. Pengsan!

Looks like I dodged a bullet as I didn't use the baggage service this year. When I finished I saw a huge line of people waiting for baggage. Shame they dropped the ball on that one. Other than that I enjoyed the race, the new route and the crowd support.

They really need to separate the FM runners from the rest of categories in the last few km. The walkers were slowing us FM runners down. 

I missed my goal time of 3:30 by 3min...hah. But it's still a 14 min PB. Must train harder next year 💪 

I've run this race (10kms) every year for 10 years, and this year was the worse BY FAR!

Whoever decided to have the 10km route on the same route as the 21 km route, and then start the 10km race at a time when we were held up by the 21km walkers, should be caned for stupidity!

I spent most of my race trying to weave a path through the "Sunday strollers" who were oblivious that another race was going on around them! The race marshalls should have been asking them to keep left so the 10km runners had a clear path on the right. 

As I'm approaching the end I'm thinking "this feels longer than 10kms...". Sure enough my GPS (and the GPS of others) shows 10.4kms.

Then at the end they change the route from instead of going in front of the Cricket Club like it's always been with the straight run to the finish line, they go on the other side, with a hard 90 degree left hand turn right at the finish. Not what you need at the end!

Worst time ever. Worst experience ever.

These clowns don't have much idea on how to organise and execute a world class running event. They may have just lost a loyal veteran participant with their incompetence.

End rant.

9 hours ago, Pearlina said:

Weather is good today! Not too sunny! E ecp route is much bearable now with e shorter distance. Love e uncle who use a spray mist @ e runners @ ecp. So innovative! Bananas and energy gels all gao-gao! 

at Parkland Green? 

6 hours ago, PandaC said:

Ya, my watch says 44.1km. But this is an IAAF event so they can't get it wrong, right?

GPS reception at CBD especially Robinson rd isn't quite good. Normally it will add extra few kliks around the CBD.

• Thanks 1

Haiz, feeling disgusted by the various cost cutting measures employed by SCSM through out the years. Gold labbelled IAAF!??? Far from it!!!

4 hours ago, prisangel said:

Small comment,  the clear plastic bag were handed out only at the baggage drop table. Sometime around 520, some crew with brain decided to hand out the plastic bag to the runners at the queue, the line moved much faster. They could give out those plastic bag at the racepack collection, I saw you can deposit your bag at the race pack collection expo perhaps I will do that in the future. 

WMM huh? We will Wait maybe another 5-10 yrs? =X 

the Organiser should participate in japan / Taipei runs and not sit in their arm chair thinking how to profit  out of the race 

10 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Done up my post race review of the SCSM2017. I had done a slight change to the format and focus on problems of the race. I took out some items too which have been repeating over the few reviews... Enjoy the read...

https://autumnrunner.wordpress.com/2017/12/03/race-review-standard-chartered-singapore-marathon-2017/?preview=true

Hi Bro AutumnRunner & Fellow Punggolian!!! Nice review u got there!

Did only 4:01. Was on 5min/I'm pace till 20km mark and pushing the pace to try and hit 3:30. But then can feel my right calves start to tighten. So started walking 2-3mins at every water station. Very important thing is to sleep the night before.

On the baggage queue, I hardly used them after queuing for 1.5hours during SCSM2011. It really disrupts your preparation as you can't warm up much standing in the queue. So what I did then is to bring along my ez link card if I'm taking public transport or bring along just my car keys.

1 thing have to comment. I was in pen A and saw the Kenyan half-marathoners in Pen B. Why can't they just start together with the elite full marathoners. Almost blocked them at 3km mark when they overtook me from the left.

Am wondering how many runners saw the notices to "Bin It" in your info leaflet, at the expo, along the route and the Green Ambassadors?

Because the roads were a disgusting mess for other runners, other users and the environment.

After a clean up of the ECP along the FM route AFTER the cleaners had been through, we found evidence of too many "sucky tossers" who sucked their gel and then tossed the tabs and packets into the grass/bushes.

I really don't get why there are so many "running tossers" :angry::(  Hope that you all put your trash in the bins provided that were plentiful.

image.png.f67bebd91a8c2a4ea3f78b6182069a9e.png

15 hours ago, jerrylam said:

Good write up bro, highlighting my gripe with the 'maze' after crossing the finish line and the 'challenge' of just making it into the race village. 

Thanks bro... somehow I think I missed out on quite a lot of booths cause of the maze and the sheer number of runners crowded on the small field...

14 hours ago, AdiZero said:

Thanks for sharing, i just saw this, very honest review of the race !

Ya hor, reading your blog reminds me, the official SCM merchandise at the Race Expo are very expensive, the apparels are all printed Dec 2017 Standard Chart Marathon, and now being DEC 2017 is just 1 month away to 2018, seriously once 2018 comes, the value of the printed apparels with the SCM 2017 wording is pretty much worthless as in out-dated, i dun understand why its still priced at so ex. I mean, at least give SCM participants a 20-25% discount, they should be able to clear off all the 2017 version of SCM fast, but they dun...serve them right for the poor sales.

Thanks for reading too.. I would like to bring out the truth experience runners face in each races so that they can make judgemental decision in next edition before paying...

I also felt the apparels were expensive thus I did not buy any although I quite like the singlet with Singapore printed on it..

14 hours ago, lumiq said:

Honest review from a blog that's not endorsed/sponsored by any company.

well done bro!!!

Thanks bro @lumiq... that's the main focus of my blog to spread the truth.. I would sing praises too if it's really well organised... 

14 hours ago, pebbles said:

Oh, but for me, ever since I kena "take forever to retrieve bag" 1x, I have learnt to run light. Messy after race never mind. It's really a case of 'once bitten, twice shy" .. ya, that means no hp for me lor.

Actually just like what we learnt in army days... waterproof everything and u can bring whatever you want to run... haaa....

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lady Ice said:

Am wondering how many runners saw the notices to "Bin It" in your info leaflet, at the expo, along the route and the Green Ambassadors?

Because the roads were a disgusting mess for other runners, other users and the environment.

After a clean up of the ECP along the FM route AFTER the cleaners had been through, we found evidence of too many "sucky tossers" who sucked their gel and then tossed the tabs and packets into the grass/bushes.

I really don't get why there are so many "running tossers" :angry::(  Hope that you all put your trash in the bins provided that were plentiful.

I saw one runner who pinned the tag behind his singlet!

i didn't see any banana or trash ambassadors though. I made it a point to throw all my trash into bins, including carrying my banana skin for 5km. Haha

32 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

Thanks bro... somehow I think I missed out on quite a lot of booths cause of the maze and the sheer number of runners crowded on the small field...

I took one look at how crowded the entrance to the race village is and decided not to enter at all. It was a good decision since I have an additional hour to "waste" queuing for the baggage collection. 

6 hours ago, yc_hsieh said:

Hi Bro AutumnRunner & Fellow Punggolian!!! Nice review u got there!

Thanks man... how do u know I am a Punggolian.. stated in my race review? Wahaha...

1 hour ago, Lady Ice said:

I saw it and also seen some runners havong this pin behind their singlets... because of you, i held on to my empty.paper cup and wait till I see a rubbish bin along the route before throwing it in.. there was once I asked a bystander to help me throw in a bin at the bus stop...

I still felt the large bins at the hydration points are not far apart from one another.. they are too near one another... and the last bin is still too near to the hydration point.. you can see many cups within 500m from the last hydration table proved that runners took their time to drink and walk while drinking.. while the last large bin is like at most 100m away...

12 minutes ago, wonderfulblevic said:

I took one look at how crowded the entrance to the race village is and decided not to enter at all. It was a good decision since I have an additional hour to "waste" queuing for the baggage collection. 

Same here.. if not for writing the blog, I will skip the race village entirely...

Anyone notice the baggage collection long queue only happened at counter A to F. There are counters G to J and I notice the queue is quite ok. There were actually 2 bag deposit point. One at the Scape, another one behind Wheelock Place. Most of the runners must had went  into the Scape bag deposit area because of convenient. The shuttle bus drop off point was near to Scape as compared to Wheelock Place. But the organizer shall had relay the message across. This is just my observation.  

Edited by mover

1 hour ago, AutumnRunner said:

Actually just like what we learnt in army days... waterproof everything and u can bring whatever you want to run... haaa....

I always bring mini ziploc to waterproof my phone in case of rain . Eh sometimes runners are way too pampered. Want this want that. 

2 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

There was only one place that I put my trash throughout my 42.195km of running - into the bins along the route.

45 minutes ago, mover said:

Anyone notice the baggage collection long queue only happened at counter A to F. There are counters G to J and I notice the queue is quite ok. There were actually 2 bag deposit point. One at the Scape, another one behind Wheelock Place. Most of the runners must had went  into the Scape bag deposit area because of convenient. The shuttle bus drop off point was near to Scape as compared to Wheelock Place. But the organizer shall had relay the message across. This is just my observation.  

Yes. I asked the bus driver whether there will be two alighting points. He said only one at 313 Somerset. Since it's the nearest, obviously the majority of those who took the shuttle bus went to Scape. 

If I recall correctly, last year the Scape deposit location is only for Pens A-D. The rest at Angullia carpark. This year, I didn't see any such notification in the race guide.

Anyway this is just one factor that contributed to the mess. Plastic bag not given out during race pack collection, poor communication of instructions on how to fill the plastic baggage pack, insufficient trucks, poor baggage collection, storage, identification systems are some of the other reasons. Glad CNA reported on this. 

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/stanchart-marathon-scms-2017-complaints-participants-9464770

Edited by wonderfulblevic