I know there have been some operational issues in Sg but no way as bad as UK. Here are some of the common delays by the overland trains:
- Strike (there's always a strike over pay every year by one of the unions - rail guards, drivers, platform staff....)
- Suicide (perhaps happens every other year near the London area)
- Leaves on the track - can cause slippage
- No rail guard / no driver (for some reason they were late)
- Wrong snow (London rarely has a lot of snow) - which can clog up the engine
- Signalling issues (get that frequently)
Am always thankful when I can get from A to B in a timely manner. Yes SMRT is way more reliable than UK underground/overground. UK trains are all privately owned! So probably why it can be unreliable.