Sign in to follow this  
ikoumary

New member here

Hi all, I am new here, just started the run since June 2016, only done 2 times of 21km (second was on last Saturday Sundown) and 1 time of 10km.

Trying to beat my own 21km to time within 2hours for 21km, definitely need the advice from the seniors here and the valuable information from the past forum.

Hope to get motivation from here :)

Yong

Hi Yong,

Congratulations on finishing the Sundown Half Marathon, and most importantly, kick-starting your running journey!

To get faster and stronger, you would need to commit more time, more mileage and more discipline - something which you will must be done with patience to prevent burnout and the risk of injuries.

Firstly, learn some simple rules to training and running first, so that you don't overdo it. Click the link here!

These are some tips that I have for you:

1) Have a strong base

For example, if you are already running more than 3 times a week - good for you! That would average out to a weekly mileage of 20+ KM - a pretty good start for beginners :). That would be sufficient if you want to race a 5KM or 10KM comfortably. However, to run a sub 2 hours half-marathon, an average weekly mileage of 50KM (at least 5 runs a week) is needed. Additionally, you should be comfortable clocking this minimum weekly mileage to allow your muscles to adapt to the new load that you are introducing to your body. 

2) Increase mileage by no more than 10% a week

As your body is adapting to the new training load, it is important to note that you shouldn't overdo it. If you are running 10KM a day now, increase the daily distance every week, and have alternate weeks where you drop your mileage to allow for adaptations. For e.g, increase for 2 weeks, rest 1 week, increase 2 weeks, rest 1 week.

3) Incorporate speed workouts on alternate days.

Learn to get uncomfortable to feel comfortable. Tempo runs, fartleks (speed play in Swedish), track intervals are some examples of speed work. I will give a short example below:

Tempo run

Tempo runs are named so because you run at a 'comfortably hard' pace, and this pace is close to your desired half-marathon race pace. For example, if you are aiming for a 1:45 half-marathon, it would work out to a 5 minute per KM pace. Learn to run 10 to 15 seconds slower than the race pace from 8 - 12KM. This will improve your metabolic fitness and makes your body better at handling lactic acid at this pace. Your easy run pace should be 1 to 2 minutes slower than your race pace. To calculate your training pace, use the calculator here

Fartleks

These are unstructured speed runs where you play with your speed, alternating between various speeds during your run. After a warmup, you play with speed by running at faster efforts for short periods of time (to that tree, to the sign) followed by easy-effort running to recover. This workout is good because it allows you to vary the length of your speed workout - used on days you don't feel too good. By varying the intensity of your workouts, you will burn more calories than you would by keeping a steady pace. Your workouts become more efficient, because you burn more calories during your workouts without increasing the amount of time devoted to the workout. These runs tend to be stress-free, so run hard and easy according to how you feel and don't be dictated by your watch. 

For example, you can try this out for starters:

A 30 minutes workout can be split to:

3 minutes warm up

1 minute fast, 1 minute slow

3 minutes cool down

Intervals

These workouts put the P in pain. A majority of us hate doing this because of how tiring and painful it gets - but it's essential to improving your timings. During these workouts, you learn to run near your threshold levels - which means that you would be breathing really hard, and are able to sustain the effort for a short distance only. You’re running above your red line and at an effort where you are reaching hard for air and counting the seconds until you can stop—a controlled fast effort followed by a truly easy jog.

For example, you can try this for starters:

15 minutes warm up jog, dynamic stretches

800M X 5 with 2 minutes recovery at 10K pace (if your easy is 6 minutes per KM, your 10K pace should be around 4:30 to 4:45/k)

15 minutes jog recovery

4) Head for the hills

Hill training is difficult and not many of us want to do it because of how hard it is to run up a hill, but it has many benefits. These benefits include building crucial muscle endurance, leg strength and running economy! You don't have to run up hills fast, just do it according to your effort. Read our article on how you can become a better hill runner here!

Perhaps you would like to follow some articles from our website - www.LIV3LY.com to find out how to be a better and faster runner!

5) Core workouts

These are important because you want to build strength in your glutes and hips to be able to withstand the constant pounding on your legs. Workouts like planks, push ups are good to be incorporated after your runs!

6) Run on grass

Personally, I train on grass for my easy runs because it feels harder due to the soft ground. In addition, training on grass is better for your legs as it builds muscles in your legs that would not be built if you were to run on pavement. Energy return running on grass would be close to zero, you will breathe harder and you will be forced to kick your legs further - but the long term benefits trump pavement running. 

A typical week for you would go like this:

Monday - Easy 75 minutes / 10k - 12k

Tuesday - Speed workout (Intervals)

Wednesday - Easy 75 minutes / 10k - 12k

Thursday - Speed workout (Tempo, Fartlek)

Friday - Rest or 20 minutes recovery

Saturday - Easy 75 - 90 minutes 10k - 15k

Sunday - Long run, 2 hours - 2.5 hours 15k - 18k

These are some of the many tips that I have - which I feel are the most important and should be made known to you before you continue on your journey to getting faster. You can also visit our website for articles on how you can improve your running! Other websites like Runner's World, Asia Trail Magazine, Trail Running Magazine are other go-tos for excellent tips.

Other runners here would be able to provide you with their experience as well, so listen to what they have to give and offer you! Most importantly, listen to your body, trust in the process and take things slowly. Great things require patience, and you only have one life, while there various races out there almost every week. 

Good luck on this arduous quest to improvement! It will be hard but I am sure you can do it :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ikoumary said:

Hi all, I am new here, just started the run since June 2016, only done 2 times of 21km (second was on last Saturday Sundown) and 1 time of 10km.

Trying to beat my own 21km to time within 2hours for 21km, definitely need the advice from the seniors here and the valuable information from the past forum.

Hope to get motivation from here :)

Yong

Welcome to the running community Yong... everyone is learning here at the same time so do share your experiences so far too... I am sure you would be able to find most answers you require if you face any issues... so which is your next race??

• Like 1

Thank you for the encouragements and the useful information shared with me.
Being frank, I did not expect to get any response, I am glad to received 2.

AutumnRunner, I should be going for Newton Challenge though I do not know when will the run be yet, I will keep my spirit up and train for it :)

4 minutes ago, ikoumary said:

Thank you for the encouragements and the useful information shared with me.
Being frank, I did not expect to get any response, I am glad to received 2.

AutumnRunner, I should be going for Newton Challenge though I do not know when will the run be yet, I will keep my spirit up and train for it :)

wahahha... running takes a lot of discipline thus encouragement is really necessary...

Newton Challenge is usually held in end Oct, usually as a good prep for the Standard Chartered Marathon... still many more months to go... just curious, why this and only this race?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

wahahha... running takes a lot of discipline thus encouragement is really necessary...

Newton Challenge is usually held in end Oct, usually as a good prep for the Standard Chartered Marathon... still many more months to go... just curious, why this and only this race?

Haha, just because I participated it last year, and it was my first half marathon I ran, and it was quite pleasant to run, less crowded, and a lot of food after the run (was comparing it to Sundown... because I only participated in these 2 marathon event)

Yes, it is still many months to go. I was thinking to take a 10km run in between, do you have any good suggestion?

2 hours ago, ikoumary said:

Haha, just because I participated it last year, and it was my first half marathon I ran, and it was quite pleasant to run, less crowded, and a lot of food after the run (was comparing it to Sundown... because I only participated in these 2 marathon event)

Yes, it is still many months to go. I was thinking to take a 10km run in between, do you have any good suggestion?

I am not really a 10km runner so unable to comment on recommendations... but I would say there are more 10km runs than HM or FM thus there should be a wide variety to choose from...

10 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

I am not really a 10km runner so unable to comment on recommendations... but I would say there are more 10km runs than HM or FM thus there should be a wide variety to choose from...

Thank you.
It is ok, I shall try out one of them :)

12 minutes ago, ikoumary said:

Thank you.
It is ok, I shall try out one of them :)

you can go to the forum's local race to have a glimpse of the available runs...

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ikoumary said:

Hey, you might want to try these upcoming events with 10Ks as a category. I have participated in them personally and they are well organized, from ample water stations to scenic routes

1) The Performance Series (Various dates)

2) Mizuno Ekiden (Relay Race, so get some friends to run with you! 19 August 2017)

3) Army Half Marathon (If you're a NSF, ORD, ROD etc, the HM is only $12 - $15 based on previous years and the 10K will be cheaper :))

4) The Green Race (this race is held entirely in the trails, so it will be technically harder and tough because of the changing terrain, but you won't regret it as you get close to nature! I did this last year and loved how small the race was in terms of registrations and community spirit)

5) HomeTeamNS Real Run (the previous years edition was held in Sentosa, with 1/4 of the route on sand - making running extremely tiring and difficult. This year, it would be at a different location, so stay tuned for updates! However, the organization is well done and you can expect to have fun here)

6) ISCA Run (quite a small race, but competitive nonetheless. Pretty mundane route but well organized too. Don't expect much though)

*****7) LIV3LY Up! Virtual Run (this is not a PHYSICAL event where you have to be present at location to run - but it serves as motivation for you to train for upcoming races! If you are the sort to prefer running alone, with no time and location restrictions, you can take a look at this :). )

*****This is a new initiative by LIV3LY, and I'm putting this forward so that you are aware of it. So if you prefer the other races instead, go ahead! 

Edited by LIV3LY
additional information

18 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

you can go to the forum's local race to have a glimpse of the available runs...

Thank you AutumnRunner :)

18 hours ago, LIV3LY said:

Hey, you might want to try these upcoming events with 10Ks as a category. I have participated in them personally and they are well organized, from ample water stations to scenic routes

1) The Performance Series (Various dates)

2) Mizuno Ekiden (Relay Race, so get some friends to run with you! 19 August 2017)

3) Army Half Marathon (If you're a NSF, ORD, ROD etc, the HM is only $12 - $15 based on previous years and the 10K will be cheaper :))

4) The Green Race (this race is held entirely in the trails, so it will be technically harder and tough because of the changing terrain, but you won't regret it as you get close to nature! I did this last year and loved how small the race was in terms of registrations and community spirit)

5) HomeTeamNS Real Run (the previous years edition was held in Sentosa, with 1/4 of the route on sand - making running extremely tiring and difficult. This year, it would be at a different location, so stay tuned for updates! However, the organization is well done and you can expect to have fun here)

6) ISCA Run (quite a small race, but competitive nonetheless. Pretty mundane route but well organized too. Don't expect much though)

*****7) LIV3LY Up! Virtual Run (this is not a PHYSICAL event where you have to be present at location to run - but it serves as motivation for you to train for upcoming races! If you are the sort to prefer running alone, with no time and location restrictions, you can take a look at this :). )

*****This is a new initiative by LIV3LY, and I'm putting this forward so that you are aware of it. So if you prefer the other races instead, go ahead! 

Thank you for the various ideas :)

I will definitely look into them.

Have a pleasant day!

34 minutes ago, ikoumary said:

Thank you for the various ideas :)

I will definitely look into them.

Have a pleasant day!

36 minutes ago, ikoumary said:

Thank you AutumnRunner :)

Sure... take your time to look at them... can choose in terms of venue (city or suburban), fees, terrain, etc...many factors to determine why you want to run that race...