jerrylam

Craze Ultra 2017 - 43km / 74km / 101km / 100 miles, 12th - 13th Aug 2017

1 hour ago, icebaby said:

For those doing Craze Ultra...have fun!

If you are aiming for completion, just remember, you can do this. Strategize how to stay awake, stay hydrated, be cool...and important note: blisters, spare shoes/socks...and pls learn from last yr....sudden heavy rain...make sure have poncho!

Will take inspiration from your 100 miles completion last year!! Thanks and appreciate the tips.

1 hour ago, AutumnRunner said:

if sudden heavy rain, I think find a shelter and rest there till it turns to drizzle?? haahh.... speaking from a non-ultra runner... :phew:

Unless there's lightning....otherwise i'll push on, heavy rain or not. 32 hrs for 100 miles is very tight actually...

1 hour ago, jerrylam said:

Unless there's lightning....otherwise i'll push on, heavy rain or not. 32 hrs for 100 miles is very tight actually...

Jerry it's very possible. Just strategize based on what your body can endure and take. Work within it.

Craze i didn't chiong. I just suay at the last 30km my thigh injury acted up. Plus the rain. So that portion took me more than 9hrs and barely make it to finishing time.

Seriously the pain was really one kind which I will never forget...and oh...u reminded me. Please bring panadol in case u encounter similar issue. But reminder, not advisable on panadol as it might make a person sleepy. However, i regret not remembering to any!

If got friends pace or support u thru it...it's good as they are the ones that make sure u keep awake and sane.

1 hour ago, icebaby said:

Jerry it's very possible. Just strategize based on what your body can endure and take. Work within it.

Craze i didn't chiong. I just suay at the last 30km my thigh injury acted up. Plus the rain. So that portion took me more than 9hrs and barely make it to finishing time.

Seriously the pain was really one kind which I will never forget...and oh...u reminded me. Please bring panadol in case u encounter similar issue. But reminder, not advisable on panadol as it might make a person sleepy. However, i regret not remembering to any!

If got friends pace or support u thru it...it's good as they are the ones that make sure u keep awake and sane.

Panadol...great advice!!! Panadol Extra has 500mg of caffeine in each tablet, so it'll help to keep me awake if i'm in any pain. But chances are, i'll tag along your pacer from last year as he's also running 100 miles this year. I'll rely on him to keep me sane and pull me towards the finish line LOL

yes.. do enjoy all uktras ...first timer n repeated ones...skipped this year craze ultra as doing green race 60km in end Aug ...i not hard core ultra enough hahaha

14 hours ago, simonleng said:

cya all at the start line, be it rain or shine. :D

3 weekends more bro!! I'm done with the long runs. Focusing more on cores and strengths training now. 

Edited by jerrylam

1 hour ago, kasyes said:

yes.. do enjoy all uktras ...first timer n repeated ones...skipped this year craze ultra as doing green race 60km in end Aug ...i not hard core ultra enough hahaha

If you convert more energy and time from humping to running....you'll be a hardcore ultra-man! LOL

oops...how u know about my cross train (xxx training) hobby??? too HARD to give up at the moment hahaha

7 hours ago, jerrylam said:

3 weekends more bro!! I'm done with the long runs. Focusing more on cores and strengths training now. 

To be exact, it is 2 weeks and 2 days more.

beside strength trging, I also need to go under the sun to tahan weather too :)

4 hours ago, simonleng said:

Yeah man. Last year, i almost died under the sun. I struggled from the intense heat all the way from 11am til 6pm, which i only gained my second wind to run after the sun sets. Thanks for the reminder for incorporating some dreaded heat training too hahaha

14 hours ago, simonleng said:

Living here for so many years already, I think this is the least to worry... the long runs are the most impt...

Edited by AutumnRunner

3 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Living here for so many years already, I think this is the least to worry... the long runs are the most impt...

The long runs are done by now. But the heat is indeed something to contend with. Doesn't matter how long we've stayed here, running through morning and past the hottest part of the day til sunset is not something many have experienced. Could be a shock to the body if one is not prepared for it as everyone's body and performance reacts differently to the intense heat, as compared to running very early in the morning or in the evening which is common. 

24 minutes ago, jerrylam said:

The long runs are done by now. But the heat is indeed something to contend with. Doesn't matter how long we've stayed here, running through morning and past the hottest part of the day til sunset is not something many have experienced. Could be a shock to the body if one is not prepared for it as everyone's body and performance reacts differently to the intense heat, as compared to running very early in the morning or in the evening which is common. 

true.... imagine the hottest days within these few weeks with harsh sun glaring down on us... and facing it for the 8hrs while running is really punishing... I think I can't do it....

what I meant initially by least to worry is cause I think we are more prepared than some who came from the States or European countries... 

5 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

true.... imagine the hottest days within these few weeks with harsh sun glaring down on us... and facing it for the 8hrs while running is really punishing... I think I can't do it....

what I meant initially by least to worry is cause I think we are more prepared than some who came from the States or European countries... 

Last year, the temperature in the afternoon soared to almost 39 deg. I've never experienced running under such heat til that day. There were a few Europeans that took part that day, but they were even more well prepared than many of us locals as i watched them zoom past me as if the heat as no effect on them. For 101km, a Brit guy came in 3rd for Men, while a Russian lady came in 1st for Women. 

2 hours ago, jerrylam said:

Last year, the temperature in the afternoon soared to almost 39 deg. I've never experienced running under such heat til that day. There were a few Europeans that took part that day, but they were even more well prepared than many of us locals as i watched them zoom past me as if the heat as no effect on them. For 101km, a Brit guy came in 3rd for Men, while a Russian lady came in 1st for Women. 

:thumbsu:... good luck to all who are taking part and wish many of you would achieve the PBs....

4 hours ago, jerrylam said:

Do some heat acclimatization runs; they will do you plenty of good. You can start tomorrow & all it takes is just 20-30 mins easy runs directly under the sun (12-2pm is the best). The trick is that the exposure to the heat has to be frequent enough, so you can do it every day during lunch time. Expect to see some effects after 10 days or so & stop the runs about 3 days before race. Remember, go EASY during these runs. 

28 minutes ago, philip said:

Do some heat acclimatization runs; they will do you plenty of good. You can start tomorrow & all it takes is just 20-30 mins easy runs directly under the sun (12-2pm is the best). The trick is that the exposure to the heat has to be frequent enough, so you can do it every day during lunch time. Expect to see some effects after 10 days or so & stop the runs about 3 days before race. Remember, go EASY during these runs. 

Thank you for the advice. 

15 hours ago, philip said:

quite hard for office workers loh... will do heat exposure on the weekends though

On 7/27/2017 at 5:18 PM, philip said:

Thanks Philip! I just did a 20km LSD under the sun last Saturday....really not easy. Planning for another 10km heat training this weekend. The kind of tortures we put ourselves under :hot:

3 minutes ago, jerrylam said:

Thanks Philip! I just did a 20km LSD under the sun last Saturday....really not easy. Planning for another 10km heat training this weekend. The kind of tortures we put ourselves under :hot:

I only did a 11km from 3 to 5 pm on last sunny sunday. hope it is good enough  for my event loh.

2 minutes ago, simonleng said:

I only did a 11km from 3 to 5 pm on last sunny sunday. hope it is good enough  for my event loh.

You can do another shorter one this weekend for confirmation..there's still a bit of time left.

40 minutes ago, jerrylam said:

You can do another shorter one this weekend for confirmation..there's still a bit of time left.

busy lah, so the next long run will be on actual day :)

16 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Good luck guys..... should have had a good tan running in the sun....

It's my annual full-day tanning event since 2014