jerrylam

Craze Ultra 2017 - 43km / 74km / 101km / 100 miles, 12th - 13th Aug 2017

jerrylam   

My favorite Singapore ultra running event will be back for it's 6th edition!! Start marking the dates on your calendars now, and let the training begin!

Date: 12th August 2017, Saturday 7.00am to 13th August 2017, Sunday 3.00pm 

Cut Off Time: 32 Hours

Distances: 43km / 74km / 100km / 100 Miles (161km)

Registration Fees: Registration+Fees+Table+-+Craze+Ultra+20

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CrazeUltra

Logo_revised_Tiny_-_Craze_Ultra.jpg

Edited by jerrylam

jerrylam   

Craze Ultra 2017 is officially updated on Facebook's event calendar, and below is the latest update from Running Guild:

We're currently in process of getting the necessary approval for the event. Registration will open asap after approval has been obtained. Meanwhile, you may want to check around if there are other Nuts who might want to join you :)

So, time to rope in fellow Nuts for this Craze event!!

1 hour ago, jerrylam said:

Craze Ultra 2017 is officially updated on Facebook's event calendar, and below is the latest update from Running Guild:

We're currently in process of getting the necessary approval for the event. Registration will open asap after approval has been obtained. Meanwhile, you may want to check around if there are other Nuts who might want to join you :)

So, time to rope in fellow Nuts for this Craze event!!

there are many out there joining you... maybe u wanna get more khakis for the 100 miles Nuts event..... typing it out just made me perspire liaoz...

jerrylam   
2 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

there are many out there joining you... maybe u wanna get more khakis for the 100 miles Nuts event..... typing it out just made me perspire liaoz...

Nahhh...nothing can be compared to how it feels after you've already registered and have no idea how to train for it or why you actually signed up for it at the first place hahahaha

16 hours ago, jerrylam said:

Nahhh...nothing can be compared to how it feels after you've already registered and have no idea how to train for it or why you actually signed up for it at the first place hahahaha

that's especially possible for ultras races.... just have to put in the miles for the training.....

On 22/02/2017 at 5:17 PM, jerrylam said:

Ya that's true. Perhaps Jason can give you a few tips? Or train with him??? Haha!

jerrylam   
On 3/2/2017 at 1:57 PM, prisangel said:

Ya that's true. Perhaps Jason can give you a few tips? Or train with him??? Haha!

I guess the most common way is to progressively increase LSD distance until can hit 50km-60km and above at a go....and to start planning fuel/hydration over a 30-32hr race. 

2 hours ago, jerrylam said:

I guess the most common way is to progressively increase LSD distance until can hit 50km-60km and above at a go....and to start planning fuel/hydration over a 30-32hr race. 

Hmm that is true.

Or perhaps try to cover about 70-75% of the total race distance in two B2B runs during the weekend? The shorter the recovery time in between, the better. Like sat morning + sunday morning or sat evening + sunday evening, or something like that I suppose.

For fuel, what sorts of actual foods are you able to digest during an ultra? If your body can't take real solid food at this point, you should try liquid or easy to swallow food that is high in energy, such as ice cream, I think. But you really should try eating when you run, during training, to prepare for this. Though lots of seasoned ultra runners I have spoken to, are able to eat and finish full meals containing things like rice and meat, and run like 2 minutes later, without indigestion.

Just some of the stuff I've learnt from my blog interviews.

Edited by prisangel

Can see that the rate of digestion varies on individuals and for ultras wannabes out there, please do try out your hydration for the 30hrs plus of running.... it's no joke and hydration becomes a very important criteria to enjoy or hate the race/distance...

jerrylam   
On 3/5/2017 at 6:13 PM, prisangel said:

Hmm that is true.

Or perhaps try to cover about 70-75% of the total race distance in two B2B runs during the weekend? The shorter the recovery time in between, the better. Like sat morning + sunday morning or sat evening + sunday evening, or something like that I suppose.

For fuel, what sorts of actual foods are you able to digest during an ultra? If your body can't take real solid food at this point, you should try liquid or easy to swallow food that is high in energy, such as ice cream, I think. But you really should try eating when you run, during training, to prepare for this. Though lots of seasoned ultra runners I have spoken to, are able to eat and finish full meals containing things like rice and meat, and run like 2 minutes later, without indigestion.

Just some of the stuff I've learnt from my blog interviews.

I've seen Jason and Esmond each finishing one pack of chap chai png just before flag off at Twilight Ultra LOL. At the 50km mark during Craze Ultra, i coudn't even finish more than 3 bites of the cup noodle. I relied mostly on gels, muesli bars and light snacks last year. So i don't think a full meal will be part of my strategy. 

Hydration and food strategy will probably be my biggest challenge as compared to the physical training. My longest run so far is 18 hours for 101km, and i might add in another 12 hours for the remaining 60km, assuming i can keep to my 10min/km pace over the remaining distance beyond 100km. I'm targeting 30 hours.... already sweating thinking about it hahaha.

jerrylam   
On 3/6/2017 at 9:08 AM, AutumnRunner said:

Can see that the rate of digestion varies on individuals and for ultras wannabes out there, please do try out your hydration for the 30hrs plus of running.... it's no joke and hydration becomes a very important criteria to enjoy or hate the race/distance...

The support stations are located between 8 - 10km from each other. As long as i have my bottles filled up at each station, i'll b fine. Furthermore, there are petrol kiosks, vending machines and 7-elevens available along large part of the route. Should be alright.

19 minutes ago, jerrylam said:

The support stations are located between 8 - 10km from each other. As long as i have my bottles filled up at each station, i'll b fine. Furthermore, there are petrol kiosks, vending machines and 7-elevens available along large part of the route. Should be alright.

that would mean a lot of "homework" to be done so that roughly will know where the kiosks and vending machines are... I rem going through this part of the exercise when I was planning to join the run some years back...

jerrylam   
1 hour ago, AutumnRunner said:

that would mean a lot of "homework" to be done so that roughly will know where the kiosks and vending machines are... I rem going through this part of the exercise when I was planning to join the run some years back...

I've ran the first 50km of the route and can remember what's along the way by heart. It's only the next 30km from Lorong Halus to Bedok Reservoir which will be new for me to explore and recce. So there's still work to be done.

7 hours ago, jerrylam said:

I've ran the first 50km of the route and can remember what's along the way by heart. It's only the next 30km from Lorong Halus to Bedok Reservoir which will be new for me to explore and recce. So there's still work to be done.

Go for it bro... I know you can....break your limits !! Yay....

jerrylam   

do up proper planning and training... I am sure it's adequate...

Still, the unknown is quite scary and the distance very intimidating....

beast   

do up proper planning and training... I am sure it's adequate...

A 100 miles training is never adequate. Unless quit job and train running full time?

1 hour ago, jerrylam said:

Still, the unknown is quite scary and the distance very intimidating....

true.... even 101km sounds scary to me already.....

39 minutes ago, beast said:

A 100 miles training is never adequate. Unless quit job and train running full time?

adequate in the mind at the minimum...

beast   
6 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

adequate in the mind at the minimum...

I never really feel that I am adequately prepared physically and mentally for any of my run.

Unless I run every day or every other day at 75 - 100% of the distance that I have signed up to run, which I never do due to work and other commitments.

But then if I am already doing that, I don't think I will be spending money to sign up for runs.

4 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

true.... even 101km sounds scary to me already.....

秋天赛跑者,
i think so too how abt we run 74km together this time round???

Edited by simonleng

jerrylam   
42 minutes ago, simonleng said:

秋天赛跑者,

i think so too how abt we run 74km together this time round???

Lai liao lai laio....jio liao jio liao :spiteful:

16 hours ago, beast said:

I never really feel that I am adequately prepared physically and mentally for any of my run.

Unless I run every day or every other day at 75 - 100% of the distance that I have signed up to run, which I never do due to work and other commitments.

But then if I am already doing that, I don't think I will be spending money to sign up for runs.

actually to be adequately trained for a race, there might not be a need to run 75%-100% of the distance you signed up every other day... just need a structured training regime... do let me know if you need more infor... :showoff: