lazyitachi

Minimalist running shoes in Singapore

Hello fellow forumers,

After a very long hiatus from the forum and running intermittently, I have resumed my routine running. Given that I am clocking really low mileage, I have held on to my trusty shoes for far too long. Lately, the bottoms are worn thin and exposed while holes began appearing in the uppers. I figured it was time for a new start to rejuvenate my new running season.

To my disappointment, I found out that New Balance has DISCONTINUED their Minimus series (only kept the trail I think) and now I am left with the dilemma of trying to find a new match to wrap around my feet. Seems like the minimalist running trend is now down the drain and everyone is going for those lightweight but bulky running shoes

I have looked at Vibram FF but in some ways it really is a hassle to use compared to non-fingered shoes. I was looking around for Skora and Merrell but did not see any at all!

My questions are:

Anyone else do running in minimalist or zero drop shoes? Where did you get your shoes in SG and roughly at what price range?

Any recommendation for shoes very similar to Minimus Road v2 currently available for sale in SG?

Where can I get skora or merrell shoes in SG???

Really appreciate your help because I need to find my new love and hope that you can aid me in my quest :P

Edited by lazyitachi

I am also using road racing/minimalist low heel drop shoes and do agree it can be quite tough to get them in shops. NB Minimus series was really good while released back then. I am using now Inov-8 brand which has decent low and zero heel drop shoes.

You can try to get Skora shoes in the alternative running website (link is here) and for Merell shoes, I believe you can get them in retail outlets. Let me know if you need more help to get such shoes as they are not really in demand here.

Hey man, thanks for the reply.

What NB minimus were you using before?

I was mainly using Road 10v2 and have to say the ground feel was just right and the sole was flexible enough to feel the feet rolling. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4CqnyUcmAbh81VPQ0kd8

I have also used the Minimus Hi-Rez before but it was a rather steep jump into minimalist running due to the very thin sole. The bad part was also that the sole peeled off quite fast and the shoe did not last very long :(

2186220-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

What Inov-8 shoes are you using now? Where did you get them? I had a look thru the models and the soles seem to be less flexible. I might have to switch to such design now given that NB minimus died out...

I tried looking for Merrell shoes in SG and I think Royal Sporting House carries it? However I only found those hiking shoes and none of the running models :(  Where have you seen the running models?

Nice... will take a look at Skora on the alt site. I have never tried one on before so the sizing is a concern. The nice color one almost all sold out haha

With regrets, I didn't get to use the NB Minimus series before although you can still find it online. The model I used was New Balance RC130 which I started a thread 8 years ago (see the forum link here ). The shoe image as below:

new-balance-rc130xlu-original.jpg

I am using Inov-8 F Lite series which are quite light, thin and flexible by standard, with F-LIte 230 series being my first inov-8 shoes and lasted me for 4 years+ before retiring it. For those Merrell shoes, I saw them in Takashimaya sports shoes section and at Novena Velocity shopping mall.

Nice.. gonna look into that.

I must have missed the merrell shoes in Novena :(  will try taka and get some great shoes for the new year :D 

I've been using Altra Running Shoe One V3. Zero Drop. Currently using the second pair after abused the first pair for a year. Loving the zero drop. You can get those Altra in Queensway.

I am not sure but IIRC the Altra toe box is not that wide. Is that your experience?

I finally got myself a new Xero shoes which are zero drop and have soft outer. Need a bit longer before I can assess its performance.

Might even get myself a Xero running sandals.

On 2/14/2018 at 9:36 AM, lazyitachi said:

I am not sure but IIRC the Altra toe box is not that wide. Is that your experience?

I finally got myself a new Xero shoes which are zero drop and have soft outer. Need a bit longer before I can assess its performance.

@lazyitachi Are you referring to the Xero shoes at https://xeroshoes.com/shop/product-category/shoes/ and which model did you get here?

For myself, I got the New Balance Hanzo S which has a 4mm heel drop and good for distance running too. Details of the shoe can be found at http://www.newbalance.com/pd/hanzo-s/MHANZS.html#color=Lime_with_Black&width=D

On 2/14/2018 at 9:36 AM, lazyitachi said:

you are wrong..Altra has 1 of the most wide toe box...can try the Altra Escalante...

On 2/17/2018 at 10:45 AM, trailblazer said:

@lazyitachi Are you referring to the Xero shoes at https://xeroshoes.com/shop/product-category/shoes/ and which model did you get here?

For myself, I got the New Balance Hanzo S which has a 4mm heel drop and good for distance running too. Details of the shoe can be found at http://www.newbalance.com/pd/hanzo-s/MHANZS.html#color=Lime_with_Black&width=D

I got the Prio model off amazon. So far, fitting a bit weird cos my leg one big one small  =.=

But that has always been the case and will take a few wears to normalize.

The hanzo looks like adidas boston  :D   I think I cannot do NB no more after they essentially phased out all the minimus  :( 

On 2/18/2018 at 12:45 PM, medic said:

you are wrong..Altra has 1 of the most wide toe box...can try the Altra Escalante...

Nice... might look into this for my next buy :D 

On 2/20/2018 at 8:43 AM, thelonelyrunner said:

just wondering, what other brands have 0mm shoes. i would like to explore....

Depends if you are looking into lightweight (below 240 grams) with lesser cushioning?

Shoe brands that I know which have zero heel drop are Inov8 (Bare xf 210 model http://www.runshop.com.sg/en/mens-inova-8-/18-men-s-inov-8-bare-xf-210-.html ) , Vivobarefoot, Skora, Merrell and Xero shoes which lazyitachi mentioned here.