Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davidtkl

Sundown Marathon Taipei

I took part in the inaugural Sundown Marathon  2 days ago.

I was surprised by the low turn out. The 21 km race started at 2300 hrs and it was run round Dajia Riverside Park.

It was windy, drizzling and cold at the start point but once I got warmed up, the race is pretty enjoyable.

There are zero bottle neck due to the low turn out.

At the end of the race, my GPS clocked only 22.3 km.

Bugbear is there are no transport out of the area back to the city.

Some of the photos can be found here:

I saw some posts on this race and the turnout seemed to be lower than what I expected... along the Dajia river? then its similar to the route for Standard Chartered Taipei...

Really no surprise about the low turnout and the poor organization.

They just announce that they are organizing this run and the Penang run late last year, probably only 2 to 3 months before flag off? Any business common sense would dictate that if you are venturing into new markets, you need to do a lot more homework and not just cut and paste the same business model over...For some reason, those who signed up are attracted by the "brand name", so I guess in some sense the Sundown brand has found some success in overseas runners...

From what I read the complains are similar to the issues that plague the local Sundown - lack of hydration, finishers run out, big budgets splash on race village for flashy entertainment instead... Many runners said they almost froze to death due to the very cold weather running at wee hours and lack of hot supplies to support them...They are already hailing it not only the worst run of 2017, but the worst run that they have ever participated...

Hivelocity really need to wake up their idea...its already bad enough that they have disappoint Singapore runners, but now they are creating an embarrassment overseas too...

2 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

oh my... didn't know that the feedback was so bad.... lets see if there will be a 2nd year for the race there...

The feedback is really very bad at Taiwan biji forum. Very highly unlikely unless Hivelocity got extra money to burn.

Most runners already expected the unbearable cold weather at this time of the year so sign up rate was low, and running along that dajia river is the same as running along GBTB in Singapore, it is all too familiar for the Taipei runners and they felt like they could do their own LSD there if they really want to experience the same route. 

17 hours ago, beast said:

The feedback is really very bad at Taiwan biji forum. Very highly unlikely unless Hivelocity got extra money to burn.

was wondering if there would be less funds for our own local race if they didn't do well in Taipei...

21 hours ago, akane81 said:

Most runners already expected the unbearable cold weather at this time of the year so sign up rate was low, and running along that dajia river is the same as running along GBTB in Singapore, it is all too familiar for the Taipei runners and they felt like they could do their own LSD there if they really want to experience the same route. 

That sucks even more for the registered runners who have placed faith with the organization of the run, and end up not getting the support they deserved. They sacrificed sleep, braved the cold, damaged their wallet, and end up a bad run experience.

10 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

was wondering if there would be less funds for our own local race if they didn't do well in Taipei...

Well, the 2 events are independent of each other. I am sure they made some profits based on the high registration fees they charged, banking in on the Sundown brand name. Whether they are still making money or not, Hivelocity will still find ways to cut support for runners while splurging on the gimmicks.

14 hours ago, beast said:

That sucks even more for the registered runners who have placed faith with the organization of the run, and end up not getting the support they deserved. They sacrificed sleep, braved the cold, damaged their wallet, and end up a bad run experience.

Well, the 2 events are independent of each other. I am sure they made some profits based on the high registration fees they charged, banking in on the Sundown brand name. Whether they are still making money or not, Hivelocity will still find ways to cut support for runners while splurging on the gimmicks.

your last sentence just shows that u had already given up on them.....

I saw all the bad reviews by Taiwanese on this race. This Hivelocity has really embarrassed themselves . Made a "name" for themselves overseas. They should really study how TW organise their races . If Hivelocity think they can get away by having the same standard that they done in Singapore at TW, then they have made a terrible mistake. If u want to make money, Pls find somewhere else to squeeze profit . Dun embarrass Singapore name 

This is just part of the article I saw, a very negative race review about the event. They had renamed Sundown to 上当 as runners who took part felt cheated.

16935729_10158119170465198_1156202473_o.jpg