kasyes

Garmin fenix 5

Holy Fenix-ed g-string n boxer n panties... Fenix 5 has been unveiled at CES... So many features,  And it's in DC rainmaker post... How to hyperlinks??? 

3 main variants,  all with optical hr built in.  One model tailored for woman wrist,  I might go for it too.. My wrist really small too. Hahahaha

But likely launch in USA in end Mar... Which might make it may or jun before it reach our shore... 

At current exchange rate, it looks like a pricing of $850 for the Fenix 5S and $1000 for the Fenix 5X.

lol....and I bought my Fenix 3HR 3 months ago for $650

Although the new features are nice, it is really hard to justify upgrading from a Fenix 3 given the core functionalities remain the same.

I guess have to see if the extra features are worth the price (some notable differences):

• Battery life - 50 hrs vs 24 hrs
  • Life strava segments
  • Routable map + route creation
  • Additional bike ANT+ features

Holy g-string panties,  now that garmin had their Asian Hq in sg,  it's pretty confirmed that fenix 5 will be launched almost same time as USA... In March... Eagerly awaiting the price... Though I'm unlikely to get the top range... 

And later this year,  rumor got 920xt upgrade... 935xt coming soon... And then soon forerunner 245..forerunner 645....forerunner 45....holy garment range of garmin hahahaha 

The only thing I am looking forward to is the new Quick Fit bands so that I can have a replacement band for my F3! Still so long to go...

9 hours ago, spikey said:

Any updates on when Garmin Singapore will launch this?

Not much information given in Garmin Singapore and let's see if there will be new updates for Fenix 5.

I read that they changed distributor?

Hopefully it s released as quick as US release i.e. end of March!

Yup - it's out and I bought the Fenix 5 Sapphire.  No need to pre-order, the stocks are in...except for the free strap (to be delivered to you later).

Hold on to your g-string n syt panties... Garmin just announced the 935 - and according to dc rainmaker, it's fenix 5 in a condom.... Oops... No lah, plastic band... Thus much cheaper a bit and same functionality as fenix 5...

Actually, garmin ain't wrong in their marketing... Except announcement to delivery should not take so long... Imagine if Samsung or Apple announce their new Galaxy phone... And the day it is released, the next week they announced the Galaxy Note series n iPhone plus... What the heck... Hahahaha 

But to each their own market... Fenix 5 look more rugged, like more suited for trail n north pole temperature... 935 might claim to be same, but.... Hahahaha 935 is definitely for runner and triathlon market hahahaha 

Hi, need feedback from existing Fenix 3/5 users. Previously I had a 735xt. I wanted to use it a a smart watch as well as a run watch, but due to the poor dimly lit backlight, I couldn't see the display clearly at night. There was no adjustment for brightness of backlight in that model. 

I read somewhere that it is adjustable in Fenix 3/5. Can someone comment how bright the highest level of brightness for the backlight? Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, ben_ng said:

Hi, need feedback from existing Fenix 3/5 users. Previously I had a 735xt. I wanted to use it a a smart watch as well as a run watch, but due to the poor dimly lit backlight, I couldn't see the display clearly at night. There was no adjustment for brightness of backlight in that model. 

I read somewhere that it is adjustable in Fenix 3/5. Can someone comment how bright the highest level of brightness for the backlight? Thanks for your help!

I don't use a Garmin Fenix series but I do have a few running kakis using that. Generally the backlight in Fenix 3/5 is quite decent but I am not sure about whether the backlight's brightness can be adjusted. DC Rainmaker also did an in-depth review on it for Fenix 3 and Fenix 5:https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/garmin-fenix5-5s-5x-review.html which he included a hands on demonstration of the Fenix 5 videos in his review post

Yes it is adjustable.. but no info on the level of luminosity. Don't think I have issue reading it compared to say Fenix 2....

Thanks all for the replies. Got myself an old Fenix 3 yesterday. Anyone setting your backlight to always on? How is the battery drain?

55 minutes ago, ben_ng said:

Thanks all for the replies. Got myself an old Fenix 3 yesterday. Anyone setting your backlight to always on? How is the battery drain?

why set it to always on?

14 minutes ago, medic said:

why set it to always on?

I think there are some whom find it easier to see during night runs if it is always turned on. 

On ‎25‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:00 PM, ben_ng said:

There is such a function based on your Fenix 3's backlight settings.  The user manual online shows the steps to do so and to let your backlight to be on, you set it to "extended" mode under the "timeout" feature. See https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/fenix3/EN-US/GUID-796FC071-FBF8-465B-82B5-380A4941469B.html 

Interestingly, Fenix 3 does allow brightness setting from the online manual seen which my current 920XT doesn't but that is not a problem for me as the default setting works well in pre-dawn/night runs.

Anyway, back to the Fenix 5 data, I got a China run contact who had a chance to use Fenix 5 Sapphire loan unit showing more data such as performance condition, temperature, training effect (breaks down into both aerobic and anaerobic fields) etc. With her permission, have a look at the details Fenix 5 can show at https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1642379134