Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Top Chan

Gold Coast Airport Marathon 2017 - 1 - 2 July 2017

28 posts in this topic

Gold Coast Airport Marathonmarathon-race-information-409-272

The Gold Coast Airport Marathon is held annually in one of the most popular holiday destinations in the world. It is Australia’s premier road race and was the first marathon in the country to hold an International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) Road Race Gold Label.

The event is held on the first weekend of July and attracts more than 27,000 participants of all ages and abilities across a number of races including the Gold Coast Airport Marathon, Wheelchair Marathon, ASICS Half Marathon, Wheelchair 15km, Southern Cross University 10km Run, 5.7km Challenge and Zespri Junior Dash 4km and 2km races.

The 39th annual Gold Coast Airport Marathon will be held Saturday 1 and Sunday 2 July 2017.

On 1/1/2017 at 0:33 AM, yh90 said:

Im doing. Cant wait!

wah.... after SCMHK then GCAM? A spree of overseas marathon...

who's going this year? :)

mejust sign again this year :) 

In terms of this forum, maybe the 2 of you.  But the Scoot flight will be full of SG runners.

3 hours ago, Madmax said:

In terms of this forum, maybe the 2 of you.  But the Scoot flight will be full of SG runners.

Yup.. that's always the case... it will be a fun race..lots of supporters lining both sides..

I'm back! :)

I'm now currently based in Goldie and still pondering if I should do this run. I just did a 21k run via Gold Coast bulletin fun run. Honestly feel a bit "diap sai" to do 42k as this will be my first FM if ever. Still clocking in 30-35k/wk (split them in 1-2 short runs then 1 LSD). Any insights? Also, I'm flat footed so I'm trying my very best to run without getting any injuries in as much as possible by cross training (swimming, cycling, home workouts via kettleballs and ankle weights).

Appreciate any insights :)

3 hours ago, SunshineSheenz said:

I'm now currently based in Goldie and still pondering if I should do this run. I just did a 21k run via Gold Coast bulletin fun run. Honestly feel a bit "diap sai" to do 42k as this will be my first FM if ever. Still clocking in 30-35k/wk (split them in 1-2 short runs then 1 LSD). Any insights? Also, I'm flat footed so I'm trying my very best to run without getting any injuries in as much as possible by cross training (swimming, cycling, home workouts via kettleballs and ankle weights).

Go for it! Weather is good, the route is good, the spectators are motivating.

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, SunshineSheenz said:

welcome back... seldom see you here and I thought you had forgotten about this forum... hahah....

since you are based there and it's just at your doorstep, there is no harm to try out. But I would suggest to run the 21km which you had tried out before cause the race is just less than 7 weeks away and it would be quite difficult to train properly. Moreover, you have no prior experience in running a marathon thus you need to train both on Physical and on Mental. 7 weeks left is a tad too short and it might be torturous for you during the race.

On 09/05/2017 at 1:29 PM, AutumnRunner said:

welcome back... seldom see you here and I thought you had forgotten about this forum... hahah....

since you are based there and it's just at your doorstep, there is no harm to try out. But I would suggest to run the 21km which you had tried out before cause the race is just less than 7 weeks away and it would be quite difficult to train properly. Moreover, you have no prior experience in running a marathon thus you need to train both on Physical and on Mental. 7 weeks left is a tad too short and it might be torturous for you during the race.

LOL thanks! No lah, Just had some grown up stuff sorted prior to me relocating here:huh:

I honestly don't have an idea how to train for a full marathon, tho I still run regularly and usually do at least 1 12-18K LSD's weekly. Still contemplating whether I should just stick to HM but I feel like I've contemplated for a long time to do a FM long enough:unsure: Decisions, decisions...

On 08/05/2017 at 10:16 PM, simonleng said:

Go for it! Weather is good, the route is good, the spectators are motivating.

I love the route! That's where I'm running :D And since it's fall season here already, it's so much easier to run due to the night weather^_^while I miss running at ECP and food culture in SG, I don't miss the humidity at all :beer:

11 hours ago, SunshineSheenz said:

I love the route! That's where I'm running :D And since it's fall season here already, it's so much easier to run due to the night weather^_^while I miss running at ECP and food culture in SG, I don't miss the humidity at all :beer:

that's great. imo, since u have alrdy clocked 21km, u can try to do another  1 x LSD of abt ~30km one month before GCAM. think it should be sufficient to complete GCAM. oh boy, i m starting to miss GCAM alrdy...

12 hours ago, SunshineSheenz said:

LOL thanks! No lah, Just had some grown up stuff sorted prior to me relocating here:huh:

I honestly don't have an idea how to train for a full marathon, tho I still run regularly and usually do at least 1 12-18K LSD's weekly. Still contemplating whether I should just stick to HM but I feel like I've contemplated for a long time to do a FM long enough:unsure: Decisions, decisions...

I would say go attempt it since you are already comfortable with HMs.

If you are not aiming for any timing and only as completion and experience, it shouldn't be too much of an issue...though you should probably step up your LSD to at least 21km for the next few weeks...

12 hours ago, SunshineSheenz said:

its definitely not easy to train for a full marathon... both hands and legs raised to support what I had just said... as a 1st timer thinking about completion, ramping up your weekly mileage is the most important... try ramping up slowly (10% increment) on a weekly basis and get till around 32km 3 weeks before the GCAM... after which its a tapering session where u slowly ramp down your LSD runs...

you have one of the best marathons to start your maiden marathon adventure, feel proud about it,,,

1 hour ago, yh90 said:

6 more weeks!

yea... saw reminders from GCAM FB... tapering period soon so hang on ...

10 hours ago, SunshineSheenz said:

Anyone coming over here at Goldie to do the run? :D

there would be no lack of Singaporeans there I am sure.. .haha... but I would not be the one... :notfair:

On 14/06/2017 at 10:46 AM, AutumnRunner said:

there would be no lack of Singaporeans there I am sure.. .haha... but I would not be the one... :notfair:

For sure I'll see heaps of them here! And won't be surprised if they also dominate Pacific Fair mall and bumped into one of them while I'm on shift :D

26 minutes ago, SunshineSheenz said:

For sure I'll see heaps of them here! And won't be surprised if they also dominate Pacific Fair mall and bumped into one of them while I'm on shift :D

This year you might bump into Singapore runners there, but next year would be bump into them at the GCAM route? :punk:

Me too! *raises hand* my second year there and this year doing its 21 km! <3

On ‎16‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 2:23 PM, Bummer98 said:

Me too! *raises hand* my second year there and this year doing its 21 km! <3

that sounds great too... do note that the 21km race is held at the early morning before sun is up thus it might be much colder than what you experienced in the FM timing...