Sign in to follow this  
Top Chan

ASB Christchurch Marathon 2017 - Sunday 4th June 2017 (New Zealand)

Who are going to Christchurch Marathon 2017?

.. To the South Island's favourite foot race.

Inspired by the 1974 Commonwealth Games marathon, the Christchurch Marathon event is renowned as one of the fastest courses in the world.

But it is also one of the most scenic and supportive.

With a Full Marathon, Half Marathon, 10k & Kids' Mara'Fun, there is something for everyone.

But don't take our word for it...

Enter Now and experience the Christchurch Marathon for Yourself!

website_banner_2017_marathon.jpg

The 2017 ASB Christchurch Marathon event will take place on Sunday 2017 June 4th. Entries for the full marathon, half marathon, 10km and kids’ mara’fun are now open at:

15778127_120300001344205214_713618093_o.jpg

Edited by Top Chan
uploaded a wrong pic. :-)

On 12/28/2016 at 2:45 PM, AutumnRunner said:

Yoz Bro Top Chan, I think the route map is attached wrongly... this belongs to another race in Malaysia.... Not Christchurch marathon...

Thank you for spotting my mistake, Bro AutumnRunner. I amened it. :-) 

Happy New Year 2017 to you.

For those runners interested to run CHCH marathon, please sign up, it helps you to achieve PB.

Race Day Sunday June 4th - Entries Are Now Open !

Happy-New-Year-Greeting-Cards-2017.jpg

Edited by Top Chan
add picture.

no prob... small issue.... I heard about the Christchurch marathon before and if i am not wrong, I think Mok Ying Ren ran before in this race for PB... 

23 hours ago, kasyes said:

So pb guarantee or money back.... Hahaha 

this one dun dare to say.... cause there are 1001 factors to prepare for a pb race... however you need every factor to be aligned in order to achieve it.... not one less... that's why it's always treasured...

8 hours ago, kasyes said:

So pb guarantee or money back.... Hahaha 

Yes. You can do your PB like Dr. Mok Yin Ren did in provided you train and set a goal to achieve. Below is a very good report on Dr.Mok.

Mok Ying Ren wins Christchurch Marathon in personal best of 2 hours 26 minutes 34 seconds

By Colin Tung on June 5, 2011 Nation in Motion running
Views: 4,258

Story by Colin Tung/Red Sports

Singapore Marathon

Mok Ying Ren in his marathon debut in 2009. (Photo © Lai Jun Wei/Red Sports archive)

Christchurch, New Zealand, Sunday, June 5, 2011 — Mok Ying Ren is going places, literally, in his quest to break distance-running records.

A week after running 14 minutes 51.09 seconds in Japan to break the 5000m national record (pending ratification by the Singapore Athletic Association), Mok lowered his marathon personal best, by over a staggering 10 minutes, to 2 hours 26 minutes 34 seconds in winning the Christchurch Marathon in New Zealand.

According to the official post-race report, Mok beat two-time Christchurch Marathon winner Phil Costley who had to settle for the runner-up position in a time of 2:29:29.

“It was very hard. It was windy and Phil was strong. I had to run very hard to win, so I am happy,” Mok was quoted as saying in the report.

Mok’s latest marathon time puts him just outside two minutes of the national record of 2:24:22 set by Murugiah Rameshon in the 1995 South East-Asian (SEA) Games at Chiangmai, Thailand. Rameshon was 30 years, 11 months and 12 days of age at the time.

And at only 22 years of age, Mok has time on his side as he seeks to add yet another distance-running national record to his name.

This was only Mok’s third marathon since making his debut at the 2009 Singapore Marathon, winning it in 2:43:42. He shaved five minutes and 15 seconds off his time in repeating his win at the 2010 Singapore Marathon.

With today’s 11 minutes 53 seconds improvement on his Singapore Marathon time of 2:38:27 from last December, his cumulative progress through his first three marathons is 17 minutes 9 seconds.

His next marathon is slated to be this December’s Singapore Marathon, after he runs the 5000m at November’s SEA Games in Indonesia.

Guess this is a fast race as last year there was only 500+ fm finishers, so all are serious runners. 

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:46 PM, akane81 said:

Guess this is a fast race as last year there was only 500+ fm finishers, so all are serious runners. 

oh, any stats on the average finishing time? then that would determine if only serious runners took part... 

On 1/6/2017 at 11:46 PM, akane81 said:

There were 507 participants, 449 finishers for FM, according to the website FM results.

There are about 4000 participants in total, so I would take it that this is a smaller scale event rather than a run for the elites. that said, the FM cut off seems to be at 6 hours so to a certain degree this is definitely more competitive than many other marathons.

8 hours ago, beast said:
On 1/6/2017 at 11:46 PM, akane81 said:

There were 507 participants, 449 finishers for FM, according to the website FM results.

There are about 4000 participants in total, so I would take it that this is a smaller scale event rather than a run for the elites. that said, the FM cut off seems to be at 6 hours so to a certain degree this is definitely more competitive than many other marathons.

It is good to run with these serious runners, not like SCMS....people walk together and block your way to run faster which they are infront of you. 

500 serious marathoners can help you all to achieve your PB like Dr. Mok Yin Ren did it in 2011. In addition, no people blockage on the road and you can run faster.

Anyway, I checked the result, there are slow runners who did 6 hours plus in the marathon.

Akane81 and Beast....for your standard, you both can do Sub 4 easily in CHCH Marathon.

14 hours ago, Top Chan said:

It is good to run with these serious runners, not like SCMS....people walk together and block your way to run faster which they are infront of you. 

500 serious marathoners can help you all to achieve your PB like Dr. Mok Yin Ren did it in 2011. In addition, no people blockage on the road and you can run faster.

Anyway, I checked the result, there are slow runners who did 6 hours plus in the marathon.

Akane81 and Beast....for your standard, you both can do Sub 4 easily in CHCH Marathon.

Hmm I think it all depends.... For me, I usually just listen to my body, and will slow down if I can't run anymore and let the others overtake me. I am not one who will try to push myself for a PB, but that mentality of running with elites for PB should work for others who are gunning for one.

I only saw 1 runner completing past 6 hours in the results.

Haha, I can't even do Sub 5:30 for FM on a consistent basis. I may want to consider doing Gold Coast as my first run in Australia first, despite it being a very crowded race.

5 hours ago, beast said:

Hmm I think it all depends.... For me, I usually just listen to my body, and will slow down if I can't run anymore and let the others overtake me. I am not one who will try to push myself for a PB, but that mentality of running with elites for PB should work for others who are gunning for one.

I only saw 1 runner completing past 6 hours in the results.

Haha, I can't even do Sub 5:30 for FM on a consistent basis. I may want to consider doing Gold Coast as my first run in Australia first, despite it being a very crowded race.

although its crowded but the runners there don't walk at the 1st half of the race so it's not that bad...

On 1/9/2017 at 7:31 PM, Top Chan said:

Hahaha i wish too! Barely achieved sub 6 in last year GCAM and I already feel quite paiseh among the 6k participants as I was certainly the last 10%, I think for this run I will end up as the last 1% if I do participate but I will work harder towards a faster goal this year and coming years! 

10 hours ago, akane81 said:

Hahaha i wish too! Barely achieved sub 6 in last year GCAM and I already feel quite paiseh among the 6k participants as I was certainly the last 10%, I think for this run I will end up as the last 1% if I do participate but I will work harder towards a faster goal this year and coming years! 

consistency is the key bro.... don't need to compare with others or feel paiseh being the last 1%... it has strict cutoff point so should actually feel proud to be able to enter...:thumbsup:

Mok on track for SEA Games, finishes Top Asian in Christchurch Half-marathon

june 4, 2017 by jedsenthil, posted in athletes

Press Release by ONEathlete 

4 June 2017

Mok Ying Ren finishes as Top Asian in Half-marathon held in Christchurch, New Zealand. Given a cold Sunday morning at about 7 degrees and some slight drizzle, Mok finished with a timing of 1:11:34. He also finished 8th overall. The feat was a good hard stroke, despite the demands of his medical profession, towards the lead up to SEA Games that will be held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in August 2017.

The ASB Christchurch Marathon is held in conjunction with the annual Queen’s Birthday Weekend event . The event moved back to the central city in 2015, after rebuilding from its 2011 earthquake. The event was held at 8am local time (4am Singapore Time). Official results are available HERE.

FullSizeRender (5)

Mok Ying Ren is accompanied by Team Manager for Singapore Athletics Association (SAA), Jason Lawrence.

IMG_7378“It always feel good to run in Chirstchurch, where I won my first international marathon in 2011.

Competition is always good with the top kiwi runners in the mix. For me, my objective was to put in a hard effort in the build up towards the SEA Games in 2 months time and it turned out well. I had wanted it to be faster but it was still an overall a good run for me.

The first 10km went well while I ran with a group of 5 kiwi runners but I could feel the fatigue from my marathon training creeping in after the half way mark. I managed to finish strong over the second half while running most of it alone. The conditions were challenging as it was cold and rainy making footing at some areas difficult.

I’m looking forward to putting in another 2 months of hard training to prepare for the SEA Games. The support from sponsors, colleagues, and supporters  have been very helpful to focus on the training itself”

IMG_7354Mok is a Double SEA Games Gold Medallist and is managed by ONEathlete. He will be participating in his third SEA Games, later this year.

Mok currently holds the half-marathon national record of 1:07:08 ran in January 2016 in Arizona, USA.

On 12/6/2017 at 8:51 PM, Top Chan said:

Entry open now. Race Day 2018 June 3rd.
www.christchurchmarathon.co.nz

Hope to see you there. :D

me?? there is a reason why i always dun dare to wear singlet or tee with the word "Singapore" on it... wahahah....