Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hubert84

Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon 2017 - 12/02/2017

I clocked my PB there on Sunday too. Did 4:21. never done below 5 hours in SG before. 

Love the weather.. and in my opinion, it is much better organized than SCMS back in Dec 2016

1. Only 3 starting Pens for Full Marathon, but yet there is no delay in start and do not feel crowded

2. hydrating stations are long .. at least 10 tables for each station. 

3. more stations has bananas and they give chocolates

4. they isotonic drinks comes in packet forms. can grab and go without worrying spill

the last tunnel towards HK island is my killer. after that the slopes are so steep + packed with runners + fatigue. 

Athletics: Woman dies after Hong Kong marathon collapse

Video Link:

http://tv.on.cc/hk/index.html?s=3&i=ONS170212-12286-47-M&d=1486894965

bkn-20170212090859644-0212_00822_001_04b.jpg?20170213065133

HONG KONG: A 52-year-old woman runner who took part in the Hong Kong marathon died on Monday (Feb 13), a day after collapsing on the finish line of the 10-kilometre race.

The amateur athlete had been in a critical condition after the event on Sunday, which saw 74,000 competitors pound the streets.

Hospital authorities said on Monday that the woman had died after she became unconscious and was taken into intensive care, but gave no further details.

She had participated in the race with her husband, who accompanied her to hospital, local television reported.

Sunday's marathon took place under blue skies but pollution levels were deemed "unhealthy for sensitive groups", with the Air Quality Index at 126.

Of the runners who took part, 11 were taken to hospital on Sunday, including the woman who died.

Two of them were also in a serious condition, according to local media. Authorities on Monday said six people were still in hospital and all were stable.

Ethiopia's Bizuneh Melaku Belachew smashed his personal best to win the main 42-kilometre race in a new course record of two hours, 10 minutes and 31 seconds.

Ethiopia also claimed first place in the women's race, with Gulume Tollesa Chala crossing the line in 2:33:39.

I've taken part in TPE and HK SC and the cut-off times are clearly notified to all participants. Definitely no FM for a slow walker like me in those countries. And no finisher entitlements for any who missed crossing any checkpoint after stated closure times. 

As Singapore official line is all these runs are social, community, fitness and bonding rather than competitive, don't see same standards applied locally in near future.

On 12 February 2017 at 1:29 PM, yh90 said:

Clocked a 3:48 down there(pb). Route was like roller coaster. Good weather.

-Too little toilets for such a big event that attracts tens of thousands. I queued for 20mins and behind me got a dozen of ppl. And fm and hm merging caused a human jam that forced me to slow down...

5 hours ago, sengkangboy said:

I clocked my PB there on Sunday too. Did 4:21. never done below 5 hours in SG before. 

Love the weather.. and in my opinion, it is much better organized than SCMS back in Dec 2016

1. Only 3 starting Pens for Full Marathon, but yet there is no delay in start and do not feel crowded

4. they isotonic drinks comes in packet forms. can grab and go without worrying spill

the last tunnel towards HK island is my killer. after that the slopes are so steep + packed with runners + fatigue. 

Congrats! Well done! 

On ‎14‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 2:49 PM, sengkangboy said:

congrats sengkangboy... the weather must have helped you a lot... how about the supporting crowd there?

1 hour ago, sengkangboy said:

the best crowd is at the last stretch at causeway bay. now i am thinking of signing up Osaka 2017 in November :D

you will feel the difference in the ambience if you sign up for Osaka 2017 considering that SCMHK only has the crowd at the last stretch...

yes . i read your review for the 2016 Osaka marathon and fell in love with the medal. hope i get lucky this year. registration starts april but need to ballot . i couldn't get a slot for Tokyo Marathon for 2 consecutive years already

12 hours ago, sengkangboy said:

yes . i read your review for the 2016 Osaka marathon and fell in love with the medal. hope i get lucky this year. registration starts april but need to ballot . i couldn't get a slot for Tokyo Marathon for 2 consecutive years already

Osaka marathon seems to like foreigners... so as you can see in my review, I took part in both 2015 and 2016 editions so balloting seems to be a breeze... in 2017, the race is held in Nov and it is the 1st time they are changing the date... weather might be colder... so do take note of that also... the medal, needless to say, really attractive.... colourful.... good luck sengkangboy...

Renewed my PB again for the 3rd time and finally a sub-4hr in Hong Kong Marathon.
Perfect weather this year, cool and dry.
Unlikely to go back again next year since they are using lottery system.

Anybody interested to exchange their event Tshirt?
I have a size S and looking for a size L.
Still brand new with tag still on.

Personally I prefer the lottery system than camping in front of the computer waiting for the registration time to start and rushing to enter the server to register.

It creates some issues (shorter period of time to plan for the trip after the lottery results are announced, and rushing to get good accommodation and tickets which often means no good rates), but at least it is fair and it is also an indication that the run experience will be good (since so many people wants to do it).

1 hour ago, Mike Ong said:

Renewed my PB again for the 3rd time and finally a sub-4hr in Hong Kong Marathon.
Perfect weather this year, cool and dry.
Unlikely to go back again next year since they are using lottery system.

Anybody interested to exchange their event Tshirt?
I have a size S and looking for a size L.
Still brand new with tag still on.

congrats Mike... more PBs to come for u.....

Lottery system registration for SCHKM???

When my zodiac year comes up, might not be able to guarantee securing a race slot :(

Same... Same.. I only go during my zodiac year... 9 years time... When I'm 72...humping away for more luck hahahaha 

10 hours ago, kcslchin said:

Lottery system registration for SCHKM???

When my zodiac year comes up, might not be able to guarantee securing a race slot :(

If balloting fails and you really want to go, there are always guaranteed slots packages from tour groups and other organizations. Just need to keep an eye out and be prepared to pay a premium price for it.

1 hour ago, beast said:

If balloting fails and you really want to go, there are always guaranteed slots packages from tour groups and other organizations. Just need to keep an eye out and be prepared to pay a premium price for it.

I always wonder why tour packages for runs usually include a sight seeing day the day before race day.. so I try to leave this option out as much as possible...

2 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

I always wonder why tour packages for runs usually include a sight seeing day the day before race day.. so I try to leave this option out as much as possible...

To buffer for any cases of flight delays. It should also be a good practice to arrive 2 days before the race day.