Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hubert84

Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon 2017 - 12/02/2017

http://www.hkmarathon.com/Home_19613.htm

Saw no one starts any thread on Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon (SCHKM) 2017, which will be on 12/02/2017, so I will create it!

Registrations were already closed back in 28/09/2016. The ballot results were announced today and I got it! Haha. Since no Tokyo Marathon 2017, thought I would just try my luck on SCHKM 2017, and was surprised I got successful! It will be my first overseas full marathon! 2 of my friends were on waiting list though.

Any one here registered for it and got it too?

I got it too. Couldn't get Tokyo 2017 , so tried HK instead. 

Is the race pack collection on Saturday ? planning to take the morning flight in. 

Wow... Didn't know that the run has been "upgraded" to ballot for casual runners...definitely a better and fairer way to allocate slots than fastest fingers first and almost crashing the system...

Compared to our local marathons which are still struggling to fill slots, we are indeed still way behind in terms of race quality...

I did it in 2012.  Temperature approximately 17 deg C.  Nice cool and not cold weather.  No need for long tights and tops.

It is quite a hilly course.  Total elevation is approximately 1km.  I quite enjoyed the run.

I applied and gotten the ballot for the half marathon. Any inputs for the half marathon route? :) 

18 hours ago, Madmax said:

I did it in 2012.  Temperature approximately 17 deg C.  Nice cool and not cold weather.  No need for long tights and tops.

It is quite a hilly course.  Total elevation is approximately 1km.  I quite enjoyed the run.

so it's a course for sight seeing and experience rather than PB.. point noted..

3 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

so it's a course for sight seeing and experience rather than PB.. point noted..

Next year will be a new route.

I don't remember the old route having an elevation of 1km, most of the slopes are due to the incline of the expressways. I got a race timing very close to my PB.

7 minutes ago, beast said:

Next year will be a new route.

I don't remember the old route having an elevation of 1km, most of the slopes are due to the incline of the expressways. I got a race timing very close to my PB.

i was trying to search for the route which most likely would state the elevation.... it says about 80m....

Got in for 2017 too.

Ran the 2016 version too the morning rain was Super heavy, but nice experience lol

15 hours ago, yh90 said:

I also went in.

Btw,which hotels you reckon?

Depending on whether you want to save time to reach the start point near Nathan Road, or you want to to save leg energy at the end point near Victoria Park. Both are quite apart from each other. There are a lot of Airbnbs and hotels near these areas, so you can take your pick depending on your preferences and budgets, but try to book now than later..

1 hour ago, beast said:

Depending on whether you want to save time to reach the start point near Nathan Road, or you want to to save leg energy at the end point near Victoria Park. Both are quite apart from each other. There are a lot of Airbnbs and hotels near these areas, so you can take your pick depending on your preferences and budgets, but try to book now than later..

I want near start point one.

19 hours ago, yh90 said:

I also went in.

Btw,which hotels you reckon?

17 hours ago, lumiq said:

Got in for 2017 too.

Ran the 2016 version too the morning rain was Super heavy, but nice experience lol

Congrats to those who got it too!

Yupz. Now is the booking of hotel! Already booked the air tickets le, left hotel haven't book yet. Still looking around for good deals and recommendations! haha.

try not to wait too long for such internationally recognised marathons where there might be a large surge of runners from overseas snatching nearby good/cheap accommodations....

1 hour ago, yh90 said:

Do they allow allow runners to bring earphones to the race?

i do not rem they impose earphones in this race.. think HK still not that strict yet...

6 minutes ago, yh90 said:

They say scmhk is very hilly race. Who can agree with this?

that's what i read before....but unable to verify personally.... 

4 hours ago, yh90 said:

They say scmhk is very hilly race. Who can agree with this?

Not exactly hilly, but the long stretch of expressway which you will be running on has a slow gradual incline. You will be able to feel that you are actually exerting a little more leg strength after running on it for some time. Anyway the total elevation is less than 100m so it should not be too much of an issue.

Have you booked your accommodation? You should really do now if you haven't.

20 minutes ago, beast said:

Not exactly hilly, but the long stretch of expressway which you will be running on has a slow gradual incline. You will be able to feel that you are actually exerting a little more leg strength after running on it for some time. Anyway the total elevation is less than 100m so it should not be too much of an issue.

Have you booked your accommodation? You should really do now if you haven't.

dun think so much about it too bro yh90.. there is no turning back so just train well for it and do your best...

This will be my 4th time running the FM category of HKSCM. The route is not as friendly as SCMS. But all my timings are better than running in Singapore.
I think the cooling weather helps too.