Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jerrylam

Remembering MaxWoon as a Runner, Climber, Adventurer and a Friend.

Fellow SGRunners. This is definitely not a good way to start the first week of October. But as most of us has already known, our fellow SGRunners member, MaxWoon has passed away due to a tragic climbing accident on Mount Kinabalu over the weekend. This is a very sad moment for everyone that has known him or at least had interacted with him one way or another. 

I first got to know Max here at SGRunners a little more than 2 years ago. It was back in 2014 when we were discussing and sharing tips on how to train for Sundown Marathon 2014. Later, he poisoned Ling Wong, Hitman and me to join him to form a relay team for Craze Ultra 100 miles. On race day, Ling was the first runner, followed by Hitman, Max and me as the final runner. Each of us will have to run about 40km. As the third runner, he took over from Hitman to start his run from Changi Beach Park to Yishun Dam. But not long after he started running in the evening, a heavy thunderstorm started. He kept pushing on during the storm and in the dark, not wanting to disappoint the team. But worse of all, he also got lost a few times around the Buangkok Drive and Punggol Waterway areas, which he wasn't familiar and vision was bad due to the darkness and the storm. Still he soldiered on.

Hitman and i were waiting for him at Yishun Dam. But after he did not turn up at the time we were expecting him, we drove around looking for him. We finally saw him as he exited Punggol Promenade along Seletar North Link. He was totally soaked from head to toe, and was visibly tired as he ran an extra 10km due to him getting lost and had to retrace his steps. We asked him to hop onto the car and drive him to Yishun Dam instead, as it is only about 6km away. However, he rejected our offer and asked us to wait for him at Yishun Dam as planned. We drove slowly beside him to keep cheering and motivating him on, as it was dark and wet with not a single soul to be seen except us. He was still in good form and high spirits despite everything. I finally took over from him and proceed to finish the final leg once he reached the CP at Punggol Dam. 

I can only be amazed and impressed by his strong determination and will power. If it was me, i would have jumped into the car and spare myself from further torment as i've already ran more than the 40km as planned. This is just 1 of many examples of Max's virtues in life, but that night leaves the deepest memory of him in me. It was a great honor to have ran a relay race with him, and to have him as a friend.

He's known as an extremely friendly, humble and cheerful person, that always puts on his signature smile whenever you see him, which explains why he has so many friends. Many of us look up to him as a 'senior' when it comes to ultra running. I've always enjoyed seeing all his posts as he travels to race at the ultras around the world. I still find it hard to accept that he's gone. The Singapore running community has lost one of it's finest. Although he has traveled and raced in so many countries around the world, there's still so much more for him to achieve. Max was gone too soon indeed.

Live Celebrated, Died Regretted. Take care of yourself my bro, my prayers are with you and your family. You are now at a better place. Your memories will live on, til we see each other again.

14444870_10154280480113387_2183416858943   

Rest in peace, Max Woon. He is one of the first few person whom I spoke to in this forum.

Still remembering the advises he provided whenever anyone has any issues about running. I was saddened when I got to know that this piece of news which I read is about him. 

My deepest condolences to his family and love ones.

Rest in peace bro Max. You'd be remember fondly by those who know you best.
The community has indeed lost a good runner.

Lastly Noobie would like to extend his condolences to Max's family and loved ones.

Thanks Jerry for writing that piece regarding Max. Indeed the running community has lost a running mate over the weekend. Very tragic loss. God speed to Max. And hope his spirit of seeking adventure and never give up attitude will rub off to others who want to take up the challenge.

Thanks Jerry for writing the post, felt so sad as I was reading your post as we really lost one of our finest runner who was so dedicated to the sports. I was lucky enough to join this forum a few years ago, so I get to interact with Max Woon through his posts when he was more active here, though I've not met him personally. I was definitely shocked when the runner involved in this mishap was identified yesterday, my condolences to his family and loved ones. :(

I came across the sad news just this evening ...

Although I've not met him personally, I've read and enjoyed many of Max's posts here at SGRunners. I can sense his dedication and active involvement towards running and the community. He will surely be missed.

I extend my deepest condolences to his family and loved ones.