Sign in to follow this  
lonewolf

Athletics: Mok vs Soh - The Great Singapore Marathon Rivalry

lonewolf   

Athletics: Mok Ying Ren holds national half-marathon record, says Singapore Athletics

Singapore Athletics (SA) will recognise Mok Ying Ren's time of 1hr 7min 8sec at the Arizona Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon in January as the official national half-marathon record, said athletics chief Ho Mun Cheong yesterday.

The matter of who holds the record was discussed at a meeting involving Ho and the SA executive committee last night.

This stemmed from the recent public spat between Singapore's top two national marathoners, Mok and Soh Rui Yong.

Soh had claimed that his time of 1:07:21, set at last year's San Jose Rock 'n' Roll Marathon was the national record, even though Mok had posted a faster time this year at the Arizona Rock 'n' Roll Marathon.

Soh, 25, had based his claim on his assertion that the Arizona race course was not certified by the Association of International Marathons and Distance Races.

But Ho told The Straits Times last night that SA decided to formally recognise Mok's time because his race had been certified by USA Track and Field, the United States' governing body for the sport.

"We based (the decision) on how other countries determined their own national half-marathon records," said Ho.

Previously, there was no official half-marathon national mark listed in SA's record books. The quickest result clocked by a national half-marathon runner was known as the nation's best timing.

Earlier yesterday, Ho, 67, had said it was difficult to determine how half-marathons should be recognised, because of the different terrain of each course.

"A lot depends on the terrain," he said. "Different places have different terrain - some are hilly and some are wet, while there are also those with slopes."

Soh, who is in the US, could not be reached for comment at press time.

Mok, 28, was understandably pleased that the issue had been settled, saying: "I've had no doubts that my race is recognised. I appreciate the new SA committee coming in to verify this issue swiftly."

SOURCE: http://www.straitstimes.com/sport/moks-half-marathon-a-record

When I read this news, one thing come immediately to mind! :crazysmile:

Round 2-Fight-01.jpg

It's so funny when I read that Rui Yong has pencilled in for the upcoming Chicago FM and he has gone on record in saying that he want to hold the National Record for the 10K (current holder), HM (claimed to be holder) and the FM which he is aiming to break. Now that the HM 'record' had been taken away from him and awarded to his main rival, things will get interesting in the coming weeks. :drinks:

Edited by lonewolf

Looks like this is really happening... in this year's SEA Games at KL in the Marathon race.... if it's a 1st and 2nd affair for Singapore, of course all the more we are happy with it... but I bet the 2nd place runner will not be....

On ‎31‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 3:10 PM, lonewolf said:

Round 2-Fight-01.jpg

lonewolf   

Sports rivalry is fine if both rivals conduct themselves in a sporting and dignified manner.

The best example I can think of a great sporting rivals is Nadal and Federer. Perfectly encapsulated in the 2017 Australian Open finals. Uncompromisingly ruthless on courts but gracious in defeat or victory off it. These are the type of sports rivalry we want to see.

Of course, Soh vs Mok will probably never reach the sporting heights of Nadal vs Federer but it's certainly not too much to ask for both parties to behave and emulate these sporting greats. None of these spiteful comments broadcast on social media arguing about the technicality of the course or whether it should count as a record or not.

I find it amusing that Soh can wish a potential foreign rival well running the same Seoul Marathon race while conveniently ignoring his fellow countryman and main rival. Still, there may be hope yet as he finally acknowledged Mok's PB on his FB comment 'bring the thunder' with the hashtag #OneTeamSG

We wish both of them well and regardless of the result, sometimes winning is not the 'be all that end all' Just ask Ashley Liew, 

10 hours ago, lonewolf said:

Sports rivalry is fine if both rivals conduct themselves in a sporting and dignified manner.

The best example I can think of a great sporting rivals is Nadal and Federer. Perfectly encapsulated in the 2017 Australian Open finals. Uncompromisingly ruthless on courts but gracious in defeat or victory off it. These are the type of sports rivalry we want to see.

Of course, Soh vs Mok will probably never reach the sporting heights of Nadal vs Federer but it's certainly not too much to ask for both parties to behave and emulate these sporting greats. None of these spiteful comments broadcast on social media arguing about the technicality of the course or whether it should count as a record or not.

I find it amusing that Soh can wish a potential foreign rival well running the same Seoul Marathon race while conveniently ignoring his fellow countryman and main rival. Still, there may be hope yet as he finally acknowledged Mok's PB on his FB comment 'bring the thunder' with the hashtag #OneTeamSG

We wish both of them well and regardless of the result, sometimes winning is not the 'be all that end all' Just ask Ashley Liew, 

I think both of them know what they are doing.. they are representing our country on the international stage and at their level, I am sure they will behave... 

Soh wished his good friend well mah.. maybe Mok not his good friend but just normal friend? Haaa.... I was thinking the same thing when I saw his post too.. well but didn't think much further.. anyway the good friend he wished well did very well at Seoul Marathon with a 2:21... and he didn't take part in the full marathon category for the past sea games so... our guys must really train hard and smart for this year...

Well both of them appear more cordial in the TodayOnline article. 

The men’s marathon is set to be a hotly-contested one, with Indonesia challenger Agus Prayogo launching his bid for a first marathon gold. A three-time SEA Games gold medallist in the 10,000m, the distance runner clocked an impressive 2:21:35 at the Seoul Marathon on Sunday. 

Soh is looking forward to racing in Malaysia with his fellow Singaporean. “I’m genuinely glad for Mok that he has achieved a PB, and it’s good for Team Singapore to have some depth.

“Having two strong marathoners is great for Singapore athletics. Just as the Sebastian Coe-Steve Ovett rivalry pushed them to both become world beaters, I think this can have a similar effect on us. I know it has on me over the last few years , every time Mok is in the race, I run a lot better. That will be something I’m looking forward to in the SEA Games.”

Mok added: “It’s exciting to have two Singaporeans running 2:20s ... It’s good that Agus is stepping up to the marathon and it’ll be exciting to see how he does. At this point, everybody is running 2:20s so anything can happen.”

http://www.todayonline.com/seagames/mok-ying-ren-earns-his-ticket-kl-sea-games

Anyway Agus Prayogo has stated he will be running in Marathon category so it will be interesting race to see.

lonewolf   

Well, it's a start. :thumbsup:

I agree that these are exciting times for Singapore Athletes. Not just the marathoners like Mok and Soh but also unfancied athlete like race walker like Edmund Sim. 

They are all flying the Singapore flags :clapping:

lonewolf   
Posted (edited)

I have changed the thread title to discuss on the fascinating local rivalry between Mok and Soh.

Soh has fired the latest salvo, updating on FB that his 2:24:55 performance at the Chicago Marathon last year as Singapore's national record over 42.195km.

Edited by lonewolf

20 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

I have changed the thread title to discuss on the fascinating local rivalry between Mok and Soh.

Soh has fired the latest salvo, updating on FB that his 2:24:55 performance at the Chicago Marathon last year as Singapore's national record over 42.195km.

In this case, would the previous record holder Rameshon with a timing of 2:24:22 complain to the SA on why his timing don't count? hmnn....

ARRS.... Association of Road Racing Statisticians... one glance at their website ARRS and draw your own conclusion. What Soh did was bit disingenuous if you ask me. 

lonewolf   
Posted (edited)

The inevitable has occurred. SA has now stepped in over Soh's claim of the National Marathon Record.

Athletics: Soh Rui Yong claims national marathon mark, Singapore Athletics seeks clarity with IAAF

Confusion over the national men's marathon record erupted yesterday, after SEA Games champion Soh Rui Yong claimed his time of 2hr 24min 55sec had been recognised as the official mark by the Association of Road Racing Statisticians (ARRS).

Currently, the national record for the men's marathon, as recognised by Singapore Athletics (SA), is 2:24:22. It was clocked by Murugiah Rameshon at the 1995 SEA Games in Chiang Mai.

Soh has based his claim on his belief that the marathon course in Thailand was not certified by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), the sport's world body.

The 25-year-old also believes it could have been shorter than 42.195km, saying that the top five finishers all broke their personal bests, which is "unheard of".

In the meantime, SA is consulting the IAAF on which time should be recognised as the national record.

Full Story: http://www.straitstimes.com/sport/soh-rui-yong-claims-national-marathon-mark-singapore-athletics-seeks-clarity-with-iaaf

*sigh* Yet another fine example of Soh's seemingly insatiable appetite to hog the limelight (even if it's for the wrong reason)

Edited by lonewolf

AdiZero   

I saw the article, it says this Rameshon did this record breaking in 1995, that time i think in 1995 still using papers and hard-copies. Who will be so free to dig back news 20 years ago ? 

And seems that Soh knows "insider info", i believe he is still a small kid in 1995, how can he says <<<< The 25-year-old also believes it could have been shorter than 42.195km, saying that the top five finishers all broke their personal bests, which is "unheard of">> if all the records are in hard-copies, by right he has no means to find out more, unless he got insider info.... 

11 hours ago, AdiZero said:

I saw the article, it says this Rameshon did this record breaking in 1995, that time i think in 1995 still using papers and hard-copies. Who will be so free to dig back news 20 years ago ? 

And seems that Soh knows "insider info", i believe he is still a small kid in 1995, how can he says <<<< The 25-year-old also believes it could have been shorter than 42.195km, saying that the top five finishers all broke their personal bests, which is "unheard of">> if all the records are in hard-copies, by right he has no means to find out more, unless he got insider info.... 

I think he just felt it's unheard of that the top 5 got their PB in today's context... who knows long time ago really possible? Maybe the weather then was really cooling and comfortable...many many factors to run a successful marathon....

lonewolf   

Well done to Soh. :goodjob:

He might not be the nicest person or the easiest person to handle. But good to see all his shenanigans with the SNOC hasn't dented his focus. 

I'm not really surprised at Mok's performance as he was more focused on his housemanship and juggling training at the same time. 

Full story >> SEA Games: Singapore’s Soh Rui Yong defends marathon title

Congrats to Soh... he is really a defiant character and he said that he will perform better when he wants to prove this to others who dun support him... 

lonewolf   

And this is exactly what I was afraid of. That a 2nd marathon SEA Gold will only fuel his already inflated ego.

[url=http://www.straitstimes.com/sport/row-over-sponsors-fuels-sohs-ambition] Row over sponsors fuels Soh's ambition [/url]

He isn't exactly young anymore. He should have enough life experience by now (probably more than most his age) to not being naive. And he studied Business Administration-Sports Business at University of Oregon so he rightfully should (more than most) appreciate why SNOC has a blackout period for the promotion of personal sponsors. 

The amount of money to sponsor the whole national team versus an individual athlete is probably quite significant. If there's no blackout period,  would there be any sponsor for the national team? 

Even Soh's 1-for-1 proposal is untenable. It makes no sense for any company to sponsor the national team at great expense when it can get the same exposure with sponsoring 1 or 2 athletes. 

At the end of the day, rightly or wrong, he comes across as self-serving. And comments like 'I'm not too concerned. The higher you get, the more people hate on you.' 

That's silly. People do not hate on you because you are 'higher' (whatever that means). Some people hate on you because you run your mouth too often and you do not display the sporting spirit that is expected of all national athletes and even more so for a SEA Gold medalist. 

AdiZero   
1 hour ago, lonewolf said:

And this is exactly what I was afraid of. That a 2nd marathon SEA Gold will only fuel his already inflated ego.

[url=http://www.straitstimes.com/sport/row-over-sponsors-fuels-sohs-ambition] Row over sponsors fuels Soh's ambition [/url]

He isn't exactly young anymore. He should have enough life experience by now (probably more than most his age) to not being naive. And he studied Business Administration-Sports Business at University of Oregon so he rightfully should (more than most) appreciate why SNOC has a blackout period for the promotion of personal sponsors. 

The amount of money to sponsor the whole national team versus an individual athlete is probably quite significant. If there's no blackout period,  would there be any sponsor for the national team? 

Even Soh's 1-for-1 proposal is untenable. It makes no sense for any company to sponsor the national team at great expense when it can get the same exposure with sponsoring 1 or 2 athletes. 

At the end of the day, rightly or wrong, he comes across as self-serving. And comments like 'I'm not too concerned. The higher you get, the more people hate on you.' 

That's silly. People do not hate on you because you are 'higher' (whatever that means). Some people hate on you because you run your mouth too often and you do not display the sporting spirit that is expected of all national athletes and even more so for a SEA Gold medalist. 

This Soh may talk a lot but at least he deliver. He got a Gold medal. 

But frankly speaking, what do u guys think of local born athletics going overseas train and compete and get gold ? Like Soh, he trains in USA, Joseph Schooling trains in USA also.....Vs our neighborhood countries Athletics like Agus Prayogo, from those poor poor countries, they just use minimum resources and train solely in their own backyard.

Is people like Soh Rui yong, Joseph schooling like "cheating" ? U are born here, but spend 100% of your time using better resources from overseas like USA to train then win already shiok shiok claims to be a Singaporeans and get the prize money. Whereas those from less privilege countries just train in local homeground....is like not competing on fair ground. My 2 cents thoughts..

Soh is in the middle of finishing his studying in US right? Same with Joseph. 

Don't think training in US or Indonesia or Singapore will make big difference. Agus Prayogo managed to run 2:21+ in few races while training in Indonesia, he got dispensation from the army, he is a sergeant in the army, to train most of his time as athlete. 

I think it is a matter of if they can focus in their training program, Dr Mok has to juggle between being a doctor and athlete. 

kasyes   

ah yah.. all sg non elite also train overseas to qualify for Boston.or to get a all high pb..similarly for this 4 sea games athlete, their qualifying time also overseas...but congratulations to soh....this winning timing can go Boston right???

lonewolf   

He had finished his studies and is back working for Sports Singapore (He went to study in the US on a scholarship from Sports Spore)

He took no-pay leave (for 2 months I think) to train for the SEA game. 

I do think that training in US or Indonesia vs Singapore makes a lot of difference. In the case of swimming, you are always competing with some of the best swimmers in the world. So you will really need to be hungry, motivated and focus if you want to be a world-best. 

For running, it's a combination of climate and having a group of runners to train with. I think Soh mentioned before (in a TV show) that he couldn't really find a suitable group of runners to keep pace with him in his training. Whereas in the US there are many runners that can easily pace him during his training. 

In the final analysis, marathon running is a funny sport as we all know. You can have the perfect preparation and all it takes is one small thing to go wrong to ruin your race. Not to diminish SOh's accomplishment but may Agus was just having an 'off' day. 

On 21/08/2017 at 7:16 AM, kasyes said:

ah yah.. all sg non elite also train overseas to qualify for Boston.or to get a all high pb..similarly for this 4 sea games athlete, their qualifying time also overseas...but congratulations to soh....this winning timing can go Boston right???

A bit wrong here... I would say most sg runners try to race overseas to get good pb timing cause Boston is really not for everyone no matter how hard I try... so training is still done in Sg. His timing definitely can qualify..and by over 30mins buffer...

AdiZero   
On 8/21/2017 at 8:00 AM, lonewolf said:

He had finished his studies and is back working for Sports Singapore (He went to study in the US on a scholarship from Sports Spore)

He took no-pay leave (for 2 months I think) to train for the SEA game. 

I do think that training in US or Indonesia vs Singapore makes a lot of difference. In the case of swimming, you are always competing with some of the best swimmers in the world. So you will really need to be hungry, motivated and focus if you want to be a world-best. 

For running, it's a combination of climate and having a group of runners to train with. I think Soh mentioned before (in a TV show) that he couldn't really find a suitable group of runners to keep pace with him in his training. Whereas in the US there are many runners that can easily pace him during his training. 

In the final analysis, marathon running is a funny sport as we all know. You can have the perfect preparation and all it takes is one small thing to go wrong to ruin your race. Not to diminish SOh's accomplishment but may Agus was just having an 'off' day. 

Thats why i say, its like competing on unfair grounds, many of our athletics  like Joseph Schooling is like spending 100% of his time in USA training, then come back SG compete as an SG athletics, then just bec he is born here, he is named as an Singaporean athletic. To me it dun sound rite at all...

Unlike many of the poorer country athletics, they can only train in their own backyard. 

Lets put in in another scenario, let all the poorer countries athletics from Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia Athletics all train in USA 100% of their time then compete...this will be "more fair".