Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lordlad

How to get back to lost momentum?

Hi guys,

I am opening this thread to ask how do you guys train to get back lost momentum for full marathon?

Abit about myself, i started running marathon in 2004 and had been running since then......my physical peak performance period is during 2008 - 2010, to which during these 3 years i achieved my personal best of 3:26:12 in Beijing marathon 2009 (age 27 then). During these 3 years, my average timing for full marathons had been around 3:35+.

However, in late 2010, due to some personal problems, i actually started to 'lose momentum' in training marathons and my timing has been on a radical downward curve ever since. I am still running but doesn't seems to be able to get back the 'drive'. My average marathon timing for the past 4 years has been a measly 4:30 (My last 2 marathon in June (Tromso Midnight Sun) and July (Gold Coast Airport Marathon) is 4:26.

I am currently trying to think of a regime to get back in shape and also chase back my sub 3:30 timing back in 2009 and i will very much like to get at least a boston qualifier (3:10) before i turn 40.

Any advise or tips are appreciated. Thanks.

Simple... get a structured training plan and set milestone goals.. follow them diligently and I am sure you will be able to get back within months...

Perhaps you can spend some time training for a different distance first, say a 5k/10k. I think it may get monotonous to do the same event (marathon for you, I presume) and incorporate the same type of training for extended periods.

What is your weekly training like? That may give us a better idea of why you may be stagnating. However, I myself don't claim to have much experience in marathons, as I've only ran a sub-4 marathon, though that was a couple of years back and since then I haven't raced a marathon.

Some points from me:

1) Immanence has rightly stated that you should try a different distance instead of racing FMs for now to get a change first, then easing progressively back into FM events.

2) For your weekly training, what types of runs do you do? Have a variety of runs to keep yourself going instead of doing routine runs focusing on distance such as speedwork/intervals, tempo, timed runs etc. From your recent FM timings, it is implied you have hit a training plateau.

You may need to re-establish your speedwork pace, tempo run pace and full marathon pace to reflect your current running stage.

3) Do you strength/cross train? It complements running and helps to keep one injury free if done regularly.

Join a running group?

It is hard to do it on your own, but if there is a group to spur you on it might be easier.  I started running with a bunch of friends and we met every Saturday to run at ECP.  That helped me maintain a regular schedule.  Once the momentum is there, it is much easier to maintain a 5/6 run a week routine, even while traveling for work.

lordlad, your average timing over the last few FM of 4:30 at your most unfit stage is already faster than me at my peak hahaha. :thumbsu: