Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ex SAF PTI

Race etiquette

Hi all,  it has been years since last post.  Greetings and regards to one and all! 

I have this habit of training not just unshod but barebodied as well for comfort reasons.  However,  I had restraints from running without a top durings local races for ettiquette reasons until recently.

Sought opinions from friends and so far all seem to think that it is acceptable. So I will be running my first local race topless during AHM 2016 for the masters 10km category. 

Out of curiosity, I would love to garner more opinions from all of you.  My main concern would be whether I am disrespecting the race or the armed forces by running with just a pair of shorts which I am used to.

Please advise.  Thanks

actually.. there is some rules that says that no barechest running is allowed... well.. i think its not strickly enforced...

just make sure your bib is clearly displayed...

Yes, I also remember that there we are some races which have some clauses that mentioned about proper attire for the race.. which for them can be considered as barebodied...

There might be people who complained to the organisers as they do not like it. Organisers who wants to please as many runners as possible would set up such clauses at no cost...

Thank you for the feedback.

The organizers have given me the go ahead. 

However,  the organizers of another race have issues. Have appealed and await final decision.

i want to add that race etiquette is also about not bitching about people not keeping left... just remind them nicely... :)

I also want to add that race etiquette is about not trying to shove oneself to the front of the starting line when one is late; it doesn't matter what running club that one belongs to. :growl:

47 minutes ago, K!m said:

I also want to add that race etiquette is about not trying to shove oneself to the front of the starting line when one is late; it doesn't matter what running club that one belongs to. :growl:

Haa... well.... everytime I would also face the same issue as well. If they really manage to find any opening for them to move through, then there is nothing much u can do too.

I am a really slow jogger. I usually jog or walk at the extreme left, near the edge of pavement or road.

Past year or so, more and more people try to overtake on the extreme left and shout at me (& others) : "excuse me!", "move aside, please!"

WTH???

3 hours ago, K!m said:

Hmm.. your comments remind me of members of this local running club who always squeeze their way to their front, some are already positioned there and others will squeeze forward to join them. If its really elites I dont mind as they are entitled to stand at the starting line, if its not-so-elites I dont think its right to be late and squeeze to the front to join your friends. 

10 hours ago, kcslchin said:

I am a really slow jogger. I usually jog or walk at the extreme left, near the edge of pavement or road.

Past year or so, more and more people try to overtake on the extreme left and shout at me (& others) : "excuse me!", "move aside, please!"

WTH???

maybe it's runners from other countries who overtakes on the left??:angel:

10 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

maybe it's runners from other countries who overtakes on the left??:angel:

haha....from the tone of voice, is either Singaporeans or Malaysians. 

They may be fast, but start late or later wave and then bulldoze their way. At least run on the right lah! 

I see many less experienced runners confused. Someone will yell "Keep to the left", then bang!, someone overtaking on the left brushed them. Then later some idiot will shout at us slow ones, 'keep to the right, to the right! Move it!'. 

WHAT IS WRONG NOWADAYS? 

No point talking about race etiquette. All rubbish

On 2 October 2016 at 9:08 PM, K!m said:

Hmm I can only think of one. 

12 hours ago, kcslchin said:

They may be fast, but start late or later wave and then bulldoze their way. At least run on the right lah! 

I see many less experienced runners confused. Someone will yell "Keep to the left", then bang!, someone overtaking on the left brushed them. Then later some idiot will shout at us slow ones, 'keep to the right, to the right! Move it!'. 

WHAT IS WRONG NOWADAYS? 

i think its the choice of words.... i heard before some shouting...

1) Keep to the left/right....

2) On your left/right

3) To the left/right

4) only hear loud panting...... :lol:

For items 1 and 3.. i would really move to the left or right.... for item 2, i would remain where i am on move slightly to the centre so that the runner can run along the extreme left/right... so runners nowadays not just have to learn to run long and fast, but also to learn to shout even when tired (not me... ) and also to listen carefully to the words used.... NOT easy to be a runner these days...hahah....:sword:

On 03/10/2016 at 8:49 PM, kcslchin said:

WHAT IS WRONG NOWADAYS? 

I agree.

I never understand why they think shouting 'left' or 'on your left' will mean anything to recreational runners. I had participated in more than 50 races and I still haven't figured out what 'left' and 'on your left' means.

Does it mean that you are overtaking me from my left or you want me to keep to my left? Both seems equally reasonable interpretation of 'left' and 'on your left'

On 03/10/2016 at 11:30 PM, wonderfulblevic said:

Hmm I can only think of one. 

You mean the 1 that starts with the sixth letter of the alphabet? :crazysmile:

52 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

There can be only 1 !!!!

2 hours ago, lonewolf said:

1 hour ago, jerrylam said:

There can be only 1 !!!!

Chim.... i only know who won in the Grand Prix in Singapore recently, Nico Rosberg leading the table.... :lol: