Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seniorvet

Expensive running shoes are not better than more affordable running shoes

Here's an interesting study especially for those who feel that running is becoming too expensive:

http://runrepeat.com/expensive-running-shoes-are-not-better-than-more-affordable-running-shoes-study

I'm at the opposite end of being classified as an elite runner so my personal budget for a pair of running shoes is S$100.  So far no significant running injuries after four decades.  Touch wood.

Warehouse sale shoe? Or shoe won in lucky draw or after deducting the $50 voucher from project sole?,,,

Or best still.. just wear slipper or barefoot running.. less than $10... hahahaha...more of such runbers

12 hours ago, kasyes said:

Warehouse sale shoe? Or shoe won in lucky draw or after deducting the $50 voucher from project sole?,,,

Something like that.  I'm always on the lookout for promotions and sales so I always have a new pair on standby.  So long as it's from one the leading shoe manufacturers means there's some assurance of quality although I do have personal preferences about the shoe features.  Since I'm a pretty lousy runner I don't need anything near the top of the range.

38 minutes ago, seniorvet said:

Something like that.  I'm always on the lookout for promotions and sales so I always have a new pair on standby.  So long as it's from one the leading shoe manufacturers means there's some assurance of quality although I do have personal preferences about the shoe features.  Since I'm a pretty lousy runner I don't need anything near the top of the range.

No runner is lousy la... one will know what their aim is so just work towards it.. eg: no injury, complete races, complete run, etc....not everyone is into pb....

In all fairness not all affordable shoes are bad and not all expensive shoes are good.  

I think the report is missing the correlation between shoes and mileages in particular high mileages.

My own observations as a recreation runner, I tried both the affordable and pricier models. In general when I get into the 60-90 kilometres week (I know it’s not exactly high mileages) during marathon training season, I find the pricier models hold up better, provide better cushioning and most important increase the odds of getting me to the starting line healthy and injuries-free. At the end of the day that’s all that matters.

agree with backofpack... staying injury free is the top priority for me so shoes are very important... i would stick with what works for me and would not try to change too often.... 

I have my fair share of bad experiences from injuries over the years caused by bad choices of running shoes. When i first started running, all i wanted was a pair of cheap and flashy looking running shoes. I also had this concept that light means can run faster. So i went for a pair of NB 'racer' that was really light, looks great and costs me less than $100 from Mustafa. After running with it for around 6 months, i started to suffer from shin splints and groin injury. So i thought the 'brand' was not good, and i went to get another one from adidas. My injuries were not improving, and i suffered from more injuries such as ITB. 

I thought to myself that maybe i'm not meant for running, and almost gave up on the sport. It was then adidas was giving participants of Sundown 2009 a 20% discount off their customizable Mi Adidas running shoes. The idea of being able to put my name on my own running shoes which i designed the color scheme myself was too great to refuse. So i went to the adidas flagship store (used to be at Vivocity) and did a fitting. I was asked to run and land my foot on a sensor that will determine my foot type. I discovered for the first time that i was an under-pronator with slightly high-arch. I need to be wearing cushioning shoes, and not just ANY running shoes that are cheap and flashy which i've been wearing all those times!!

I still got the mi adidas customized shoes, but i found the sole quite hard. And after i did more research, i found out that the best cushioning shoes in the market back then was the Asics Gel-Nimbus series. I bought my first pair of the Gel-Nimbus 10 back in 2009, and never looked back. The Gel-Nimbus series is flagship model of the Asics cushioning shoes range ($190 - $230), but it was made for long distance running and durability. Each pair can last me at least 600-700km before i retire them, even with my current regime of training around 2-3 runs a week. 

There are definitely more variety of cushioning shoes these days, but i swear by the Asics Gel-Nimbus series. Besides some minor injuries that were caused by over-training, I've been running injury-free since the switch, and touch wood that the streak continues. Unless they are gonna stop production or have a major drop in quality, i don't think i'll ever get any other brand or model for road running shoes. So to me, it's no longer the price of the shoes, but the fit and comfort that matters most.

On 22 August 2016 at 3:43 PM, jerrylam said:

I have my fair share of bad experiences from injuries over the years caused by bad choices of running shoes. When i first started running, all i wanted was a pair of cheap and flashy looking running shoes. I also had this concept that light means can run faster. So i went for a pair of NB 'racer' that was really light, looks great and costs me less than $100 from Mustafa. After running with it for around 6 months, i started to suffer from shin splints and groin injury. So i thought the 'brand' was not good, and i went to get another one from adidas. My injuries were not improving, and i suffered from more injuries such as ITB. 

I thought to myself that maybe i'm not meant for running, and almost gave up on the sport. It was then adidas was giving participants of Sundown 2009 a 20% discount off their customizable Mi Adidas running shoes. The idea of being able to put my name on my own running shoes which i designed the color scheme myself was too great to refuse. So i went to the adidas flagship store (used to be at Vivocity) and did a fitting. I was asked to run and land my foot on a sensor that will determine my foot type. I discovered for the first time that i was an under-pronator with slightly high-arch. I need to be wearing cushioning shoes, and not just ANY running shoes that are cheap and flashy which i've been wearing all those times!!

I still got the mi adidas customized shoes, but i found the sole quite hard. And after i did more research, i found out that the best cushioning shoes in the market back then was the Asics Gel-Nimbus series. I bought my first pair of the Gel-Nimbus 10 back in 2009, and never looked back. The Gel-Nimbus series is flagship model of the Asics cushioning shoes range ($190 - $230), but it was made for long distance running and durability. Each pair can last me at least 600-700km before i retire them, even with my current regime of training around 2-3 runs a week. 

There are definitely more variety of cushioning shoes these days, but i swear by the Asics Gel-Nimbus series. Besides some minor injuries that were caused by over-training, I've been running injury-free since the switch, and touch wood that the streak continues. Unless they are gonna stop production or have a major drop in quality, i don't think i'll ever get any other brand or model for road running shoes. So to me, it's no longer the price of the shoes, but the fit and comfort that matters most.

Nimbus is the best!

I tried Nimbus shoes as well and find that it's a comfortable shoe...i tried for a pair in 2010 and also tried the Kayano series and was comfortable enough in the latter... also keep buying model after model....  

This is my first time particpating in this run. 

Scorching hot due to the late flag off and challenging slopes !

11 hours ago, davidtkl said:

This is my first time particpating in this run. 

Scorching hot due to the late flag off and challenging slopes !

bro.... u typed in the wrong topic group... Should be under Yellow Prison Run...