XiaoMing

Recommendations for next running shoes

13 posts in this topic

I would appreciate advice for my next pair of shoes for moderate distance running 5-20km

I am 186cm 90kg, land on midfoot with a neutral gait.

I've done most of my running the last 4 years on Mizuno Wave 12 trainers which are now overdue replacement. They have worked well for me but I am considering moving to something with less heel cushioning/toe drop which I hope will help reduce my tenancy to land with my foot too far forward.

I am also looking for something very well ventilated. I am new to Singapore and not used to the heat&humidity here. When I do longer runs I have problems with the Mizuno's getting wet with perspiration, I did 16km at the weekend and although it was relatively cool and overcast when I finished my shoes were saturated squelching wet as if I had jumped into a puddle! I spotted some Adidas climachill trainers recently which look very well ventilated but they look more for fashion than distance running with proper foam on the midsole only.

Edited by XiaoMing

Running lab...now can donate ur sneakers; if eligible, 50 voucher off ur next running shoe...hahaha

Hi XiaoMing, looks like you are finding a pair of running shoes to continue your healthy lifestyle.... thats good... :thumbsu:

first of all, i take that your 5-20km running distance is based on per week basis....and you had been using Mizuno Wave 12 for a while.... so one option is to continue using the same Mizuno wave but get the latest version... that could prevent you from going too much into the unknowns...

you also mentioned that you have midfoot strike and wearing your current mizuno shoes (12mm drop)... and this gave you the feel that your foot always land forward.... given your weight, i would still think shoes which have high heel drops suits you as it can cushion off as much impact as possible without causing too much pressure to your joints...

going into shoes with less heel drops will have other issues and I don't think it helps in preventing your foot from slipping to the front... one suggestion is to tie the shoe laces tighter and perhaps follow this image on the "Heel Slipping" photo... If you search online, might find some videos teaching you on how to tie them.....

heel slipping.jpg

2 people like this

Appreciate looking at this and providing advice. Unfortunately I was a bit premature in posting my question as yesterday I found a pair of unused Brooks pure cadance 3 which I forgot I had - I'd bought them on the spur of the moment because they were 70% off. My wife spotted them yesterday too so no way of buying another pair of shoes now :D

I didn't realise they were a stability shoe when I bought them just went for a quick run and the high arch felt a little strange but didn't appear to cause any problem -  so I'll do some more running in these Brooks trainers and see how they go,

5-20km i meant from a short training run to a half marathon. I'm running 30-40km a week at the moment, I don't have problem with foot slipping inside shoe (but it is useful to know about those lacing tricks), By foot too far forward I mean lengthening my stride too much.

okok... now i got what u meant..... the Brooks pure cadence 3 looks pretty lightweight and seemed to have less heel drop as what you wore previously.... u can give it a try to see if it suits you.... sounds like a lot of savings when you purchase at 70% discount.... need to take note if the cushioning still works cause sometimes if the shoes are kept for a long time without usage, it might be less effective (harden or something)..... 

One thing I've noticed about wet shoes is that much of it depends on my shorts instead of my shoes. My thicker/longer shorts tend to cause my shoes to get wet faster. Just my personal experience :)

1 person likes this

On 17/04/2016 at 8:43 PM, immanence said:

One thing I've noticed about wet shoes is that much of it depends on my shorts instead of my shoes. My thicker/longer shorts tend to cause my shoes to get wet faster. Just my personal experience :)

Sorry I missed this and separately started to come to this conclusion and even started a thread about sweaty trainers.

I just did 20km with compression shorts only and I think things were a bit better although I don't like going around with such revealing clothing lol.

Using this thread for my queries on running shoes too!

Anyway, think it is time for me to change my running shoes cos I have been using my current pair, Saucony Hurricane, since 2014! But now the question is shall I stick back to buying Saucony brand, which I am so gotten used to, or shall I try other brands like Asics or Mizuno?

Now running lab having project sneaker, $50 off after trade in old shoes... But only till this sun end April... Humping away... Oops oops... Wat I mean hurry hahahahaha 

Also expo having wos mega sales this weekend too, Mizuno under wos... Time to mega hump... Oops... Mega hurry buy I mean hahaha 

12 hours ago, Hubert84 said:

Anyway, think it is time for me to change my running shoes cos I have been using my current pair, Saucony Hurricane, since 2014! But now the question is shall I stick back to buying Saucony brand, which I am so gotten used to, or shall I try other brands like Asics or Mizuno?

this is tough question... one way is what bro @kasyes mention to go to Running Lab/ Asics selected shop to have them to look at your running gait and totally trust them... and buy the shoes they propose...

sticking to the same brand is good if you are used to it.. meaning you want to use the new shoe straight away and run a HM without worrying too much...

if you have the time, it's good to read about what kind of shoes suit you online, then look at the budget and head down to the shops to try out.. when in the shops its mainly to choose the colours and "feel" before paying....

As for me, I would stick to the brand I used to but don't mind trying other models of the same brand... once In a while I would try out other brands for my "easy run" shoes and if it really meets my expectation, then upgrade to the main stream shoes...currently I am using Asics...

hope this helps..

Thanks all for the great info! Will have to go down to these shoes shops and seek their professional advice then!

Don't think I can make it to buy by this weekend. Thinking of waiting till the Great Singapore Sale in end May 2017 to see if got lots of offers or discounts or not! Haha.

5 hours ago, Hubert84 said:

Thanks all for the great info! Will have to go down to these shoes shops and seek their professional advice then!

Don't think I can make it to buy by this weekend. Thinking of waiting till the Great Singapore Sale in end May 2017 to see if got lots of offers or discounts or not! Haha.

I am sure there will be....

On 4/27/2017 at 8:16 PM, Hubert84 said:

I've rotated through multiple running shoes and here are my top picks based on their characteristics, though each have their limitations.

Durability - Adidas Boost series eg Energy Boost 2, Boston Boost
Lightweight/racing - New Balance Racing series eg RC1400/1600
Comfort/snugness - Brooks Pure Series eg Pureconnect
Price - Brooks (when Key Power International has sales, prices may range from around $ 49-69), Saucony (when Royal Sporting House has sales - I got a pair of Kinvaras for $39)

Hope it helps, though this is largely based on personal experience. If you aren't in a hurry to get a pair of shoes, sometimes trying your luck at factory outlets (IMM, Changi City Point etc) may find you pretty amazing deals.