Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ybeex

Taipei International Marathon 2016

Recommended Posts

i had ran in a taiwan race before, namely Standard Chartered Taipei Marathon... but not exactly this race... can roughly judge the Taiwanese's race "standard"... i had attached the link below for your reference.... There are so many things that we can discuss so maybe after you read, and anything that you would like to ask about the race experience in Taiwan. feel free....

https://autumnrunner.wordpress.com/2015/02/11/standard-chartered-taipei-marathon-2015/

As for package vs free and easy.... it depends... if u are looking for a trip and race which don't need much planning (just pay, pack luggage and run), then the package is for you. If you would like to get more customised places to visit or find your own accommmodation which you prefer, free and easy is for you.... for races which can be easily booked on own, i suggest free and easy is good.... packages usually would be more attractive when they provide confirmed slots for races which have ran out/ ran out easily....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

maybe you can share your race experience in Taiwan?

(great article btw)

also, from what i know Taipei marathon needs to ballot? so this package gives you confirmed slot..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ybeex said:

maybe you can share your race experience in Taiwan?

(great article btw)

also, from what i know Taipei marathon needs to ballot? so this package gives you confirmed slot..

thanks.... mine doesnt need to ballot anyway.... i got the slot when i registered.... not sure why also.... maybe its the same as the SCMS in Singapore....

The experience there is almost like Singapore except a few better items.... weather is great in Taiwan at the time I went (Jan) and in fact it was a little chilled in the morning then.... The race expo was quite small with only a couple of tentages.... the volunteers were cheerful as usual and i would say the runners for the race have less walkers than in Singapore... The route seemed rather boring but was new to me as I have never been there before.... 

There are not many supporters around and seemed to be comparable to Sg's race where supporters crowd at the start/end point.... the hydration was just alright as there weren't many tables to begin with but there wasn't many runners as well... so sort of balanced up.... 

The logistics was quite ok with FOC shuttle buses to the main train stations... The post logistics were ok as well... it was still a little cold (as it was cloudy that day) after the race and the towel played its role well.....my hands were too full to hold everything together, luckily they provided a carrier with all the food inside.... 

i said earlier that the experience is similar to Singapore runs but the weather is certainly better... more food for post logisitcs as well.. There are items which SCMS was better but shall not mention in this context.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any website or Facebook page to follow so that runners will get updated as to when registration will begin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason this race is not very popular among Taiwanese, you can refer to this website HERE , this is the Taiwan version of JRL run calendar and they will post updates of all races there. The last column is the rating and you can check out the rating of the race for previous years. The past few years Taipei International (Fubon) Marathon was held in December and it had a rating of 3 or lower.

I asked the Taiwan runners to recommend some races and they said the following are good:

Tianzhong Marathon Taiwan's Rice Heaven (last year rating was 4.7 and its held on 13th Nov this year. You can checkout the website HERE

Sun Moon Lake Marathon (last year rating was 4.2 and its held on 30th Oct this year)

Cant comment on any of the above races as I did not take part. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they recommended the above plus Taroko Gorge race more for the scenery (more representative of Taiwan nice nature scenery) + organisation, probably not for the flat route. You can also see the breakdown of the rating when you click on the race for that particular year. Taipei International Marathon (both Fubon and Standard Chartered) rated low for their aid stations, meaning food, water, energy drinks... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took a quick look at the link which akane81 provided earlier and here is the specific one for runners' comments on the event for last year (in Chinese): http://tw.running.biji.co/index.php?q=competition&act=info&cid=2909&subtitle=%E8%87%BA%E5%8C%97%E9%A6%AC%E6%8B%89%E6%9D%BE

Here is the pdf file for last year's route for reference: https://www.sportsnet.org.tw/20151220_web/map_ma.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2016 at 5:42 PM, akane81 said:

For some reason this race is not very popular among Taiwanese, you can refer to this website HERE , this is the Taiwan version of JRL run calendar and they will post updates of all races there. The last column is the rating and you can check out the rating of the race for previous years. The past few years Taipei International (Fubon) Marathon was held in December and it had a rating of 3 or lower.

I asked the Taiwan runners to recommend some races and they said the following are good:

Tianzhong Marathon Taiwan's Rice Heaven (last year rating was 4.7 and its held on 13th Nov this year. You can checkout the website HERE

Sun Moon Lake Marathon (last year rating was 4.2 and its held on 30th Oct this year)

Cant comment on any of the above races as I did not take part. 

 

for Tianzhong and Sun Moon Lake I don't think they good for their flat route. Have seen their promos before. Really is just about the scenery and nature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do take note that races in Taiwan can be hilly at times as most scenic areas are not in the city.... its still a good run if you are into scenic and nature stuff...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2016 at 5:42 PM, akane81 said:

For some reason this race is not very popular among Taiwanese, you can refer to this website HERE , this is the Taiwan version of JRL run calendar and they will post updates of all races there. The last column is the rating and you can check out the rating of the race for previous years. The past few years Taipei International (Fubon) Marathon was held in December and it had a rating of 3 or lower.

I asked the Taiwan runners to recommend some races and they said the following are good:

Tianzhong Marathon Taiwan's Rice Heaven (last year rating was 4.7 and its held on 13th Nov this year. You can checkout the website HERE

Sun Moon Lake Marathon (last year rating was 4.2 and its held on 30th Oct this year)

Cant comment on any of the above races as I did not take part. 

 

Wow... Thanks for the interesting forum link...

I didn't hear very good comments about the Taipei Marathon so yes I am a little apprehensive as to whether to join or not.

As for the ratings, I believe it might be pretty accurate for local races. I won't trust it for overseas runs though - they rate Sundown 2015 4.2/5...are they serious? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, if you want a fuss free city marathon and an experience of a overseas race in Taiwan, I think can try out the Taipei races. Probably like us, we're sick of the ECP GBTB route so wont give high ratings to our local races, but if it's your first time, everything should be a new experience (and hopefully good! ) Also easier to look into logistics and transport issues for those big cities marathon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, beast said:

Wow... Thanks for the interesting forum link...

I didn't hear very good comments about the Taipei Marathon so yes I am a little apprehensive as to whether to join or not.

As for the ratings, I believe it might be pretty accurate for local races. I won't trust it for overseas runs though - they rate Sundown 2015 4.2/5...are they serious? 

When we rate overseas races, it's always slightly higher than locals who had raced the same race for the past years...... cause expectation rises..... so for overseas participants to rate us, I think it is acceptable la.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, akane81 said:

Yep, if you want a fuss free city marathon and an experience of a overseas race in Taiwan, I think can try out the Taipei races. Probably like us, we're sick of the ECP GBTB route so wont give high ratings to our local races, but if it's your first time, everything should be a new experience (and hopefully good! ) Also easier to look into logistics and transport issues for those big cities marathon. 

Yup that is true. I don't mind running more challenging routes, but I just dread the troubles that I have to go through to sign up for the other Taiwan runs. And ya logistics and transport will have issues as well, especially if you are not travelling alone and with a non-runner. Then again, I don't want another boring city run too. Need to put more thoughts into planning for it. 

1 hour ago, AutumnRunner said:

When we rate overseas races, it's always slightly higher than locals who had raced the same race for the past years...... cause expectation rises..... so for overseas participants to rate us, I think it is acceptable la.... 

I am more inclined to think that not a lot of people voted (maybe just a handful), hence the skewed ratings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, beast said:

Yup that is true. I don't mind running more challenging routes, but I just dread the troubles that I have to go through to sign up for the other Taiwan runs. And ya logistics and transport will have issues as well, especially if you are not travelling alone and with a non-runner. Then again, I don't want another boring city run too. Need to put more thoughts into planning for it. 

 

i think if logistics can be settled by 3rd party would be better. afterall its a holiday as well. I think year end weather would be nice to run in as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ybeex said:

i think if logistics can be settled by 3rd party would be better. afterall its a holiday as well. I think year end weather would be nice to run in as well.

Agree but the $1,500 quote by CTC is pretty ex. Can probably save $500 if I do all the bookings myself.

EOY in Taiwan is about 15-20 degrees which is definitely a very good weather to run in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...