Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Delvin Gho

Need Advice on Triathlon GPS Watches

I'm interested in investing in a good Triathlon GPS Watch.

i had a Forerunner 910XT (2nd hand) bought from my friend, but the strap broke, and the replacement straps are very difficult to find (or very expensive!). I can't buy standard straps off websites like q0010.com and replace them.

I did some homework and found the following watches

1. Suunto Ambit 3

2. Polar V800 (but this looks quite pricey)

3. Garmin 920XT

4. TomTom MultiSport GPS (this one quite cheap)

Was wondering if the forum members can give some feedback on which is a good multi-sport GPS Watch. Thanks!

Have you tried asking the local distributor for the price of the strap for 910xt? They may have stock. eBay is selling about $38 for the strap. My personal preference is Polar V800 among the 3. It has the best local support and user friendly to me.

Have you tried asking the local distributor for the price of the strap for 910xt? They may have stock. eBay is selling about $38 for the strap. My personal preference is Polar V800 among the 3. It has the best local support and user friendly to me.

Thanks for the feedback. I heard good things about the Polar too. I was at ARC yesterday and I saw a TomTom MultiSport GPS with the all the extras: cardio strap, cadence monitor, cycling monitor and mount for $329. Seems like a good price too. I wanted to buy one at the SCMS Race Pack Collection @ Expo, but I had to leave quickly due to other commitments, no time to browse around.

I would've gone for the Garmin FR 920XT if i were you. I've been using the old 910XT for the last 3 years, and i'm one satisfied user. Apart from being an awesome triathlon watch, the battery life even lasted the whole 18:15hrs which i completed a 101km race earlier this year. The 920XT now can even last up to 24 hours!! I would have switched to the 920, but decided not to yet as my 910 is still in very good working condition.

Garmin just had a promotion at the last Sitex which offered the 920XT with hrm at only $499. You can check around if they still have promos going on for this model. Afterall, it's the Xmas shopping season.

I would've gone for the Garmin FR 920XT if i were you. I've been using the old 910XT for the last 3 years, and i'm one satisfied user. Apart from being an awesome triathlon watch, the battery life even lasted the whole 18:15hrs which i completed a 101km race earlier this year. The 920XT now can even last up to 24 hours!! I would have switched to the 920, but decided not to yet as my 910 is still in very good working condition.

Garmin just had a promotion at the last Sitex which offered the 920XT with hrm at only $499. You can check around if they still have promos going on for this model. Afterall, it's the Xmas shopping season.

Thanks for the advice. Will shop around for a good watch!