Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

imarche

Gold Coast Airport Marathon 2016

2 weeks from GCAM and I strained my ankle when I did a 28km LSD last Saturday.

I did not do any LSD the Saturday before as I was on a holiday.  The week before that, I did 24km.

What should I do?  Total rest?  Or stick to runs shorter runs, eg. 12km?

2 minutes ago, Madmax said:

2 weeks from GCAM and I strained my ankle when I did a 28km LSD last Saturday.

I did not do any LSD the Saturday before as I was on a holiday.  The week before that, I did 24km.

What should I do?  Total rest?  Or stick to runs shorter runs, eg. 12km?

Bro Madmax, sorry to hear that... the strained of the ankle is it painful to the touch? Or painful when walk? Or not painful at all but just feel the strain when you walk?

A rule of thumb for me would generally be .... " I rather be at the start line 50% prepared than injured"... my worry is that you might aggravate the injury even more if you don't rest adequately for it to recover...

1 hour ago, Konnichiwa said:

How much would the flight cost to Gold Coast? I check budget airline, it would cost around 400 one way to fly to Gold Coast. Is it too exp?

this should be the normal price... if u compare to promotion period, there will be cheaper times....

5 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Bro Madmax, sorry to hear that... the strained of the ankle is it painful to the touch? Or painful when walk? Or not painful at all but just feel the strain when you walk?

A rule of thumb for me would generally be .... " I rather be at the start line 50% prepared than injured"... my worry is that you might aggravate the injury even more if you don't rest adequately for it to recover...

Not too bad.  Just feeling a little strained.

I have been running 4 times a week - Monday (7km), Tuesday (12 km), Thursday (7km), Saturday (LSD - so far peaked only at 28km due to absence of 1 week training).

You are right.  I will rest today and see how is it tomorrow.  Thanks for your advice.

18 hours ago, Madmax said:

I have been running 4 times a week - Monday (7km), Tuesday (12 km), Thursday (7km), Saturday (LSD - so far peaked only at 28km due to absence of 1 week training).

You are right.  I will rest today and see how is it tomorrow.  Thanks for your advice.

that sounds "good" as in.... strained is much better than pain.... so just rest for a few more days if you still feel wierd tomorrow...

it's too near your race and getting injured would be the last thing any runner wants.... so with your current week of training, there is a high chance that you would be able to complete the race quite strongly..

14 hours ago, Madmax said:

IMO, 2 weeks and you should have started tapering.
If pain continues to persist, i recommend u to seek professional medical advice, else, would be good to do some DIY ankle rehab for the next 2 weeks.

btw, how did you strain your ankle? overtraining? tripped? sprained?

59 minutes ago, simonleng said:

IMO, 2 weeks and you should have started tapering.
If pain continues to persist, i recommend u to seek professional medical advice, else, would be good to do some DIY ankle rehab for the next 2 weeks.

btw, how did you strain your ankle? overtraining? tripped? sprained?

Yep.  Tapering has started.

The week before, I did not do any LSD as I was in Langkawi with my family.  I supposed you can say I went beyond the 10% rule by going from 1 weekend of nothing to another weekend of 28km.

3 hours ago, Madmax said:

The week before, I did not do any LSD as I was in Langkawi with my family.  I supposed you can say I went beyond the 10% rule by going from 1 weekend of nothing to another weekend of 28km.

this sounds less serious than strain caused by tripping.... just have more rest and the overstrain should go away...

10 hours ago, Madmax said:

oh, do take care! wish u all the best for GCAM :)

I was in Gold Coast with my family for a holiday over the last week. The weather there is perfect! Except for one day which the rain was battering mercilessly, the rest of the days are usually sunny, dry and cooling. The weather is at a moderate 15 - 23. All the best to everyone heading there for the GCAM!!

4 hours ago, jerrylam said:

I was in Gold Coast with my family for a holiday over the last week. The weather there is perfect! Except for one day which the rain was battering mercilessly, the rest of the days are usually sunny, dry and cooling. The weather is at a moderate 15 - 23. All the best to everyone heading there for the GCAM!!

alamak, thought u will be  staying back to compete in GCAM loh. how come u come back so early? 

15 hours ago, simonleng said:

alamak, thought u will be  staying back to compete in GCAM loh. how come u come back so early? 

GCAM is next weekend, and school holidays ending this week. Kids going back to school by next Monday, that's why no GCAM for me :cray:

21 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

icic..... kids come back, you stay ma...hahah.... cause you not going to school.... :whistle:

Staying back alone and asking the wife to bring his kids back is a non-option for any fathers bah.

Even if the wifey is agreeable, you wouldn't want to keep worrying about them and their safety.

2 hours ago, beast said:

Staying back alone and asking the wife to bring his kids back is a non-option for any fathers bah.

Even if the wifey is agreeable, you wouldn't want to keep worrying about them and their safety.

so it's obvious this answer came from someone with no kids....wahhhah.....