Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lonewolf

Haze Season 2015 (fka Day of Infamy - 13 Sep 2015)

Good to see another survivor for Haze Season 2015. :goodjob:

Homes. Hope. Humanity Run 2015 proceeded as planned this morning as the PSI went into moderate range this morning.

So in addition to tracking the victims of Haze Season 2015, I have also compiled a list of races that manage to dodge the bullet and has its races proceeded as planned. So far the score is 15-3. :hocky:

Next weekend planned races includes The M.A.D Race 2015, TNF100, Ground Zero – Run For Humanity 2015 and Chua Chu Kang B.I.G. Farm Walk & Run 2015. Would anyone of them make it into the list of survivors? Stay tune!

2 more for the Ultimate Survivor List! The M.A.D Race 2015 and TNF100 proceeded as normal with clear skies for the last 2-3 days.

Perhaps this is the end of the Haze Season 2015? Or maybe it's just favourable wind condition that's keeping the haze away since the haze over Sumatara and Kalimantan still looks pretty bad.

The current score is now 15-5.

2 more survivors added to the list - Ground Zero – Run For Humanity 2015 and Chua Chu Kang B.I.G. Farm Walk & Run 2015 proceeded as planned.

The current score is now 15-7. Not sure if the haze season is officially over but looking at the satellite image, dense haze is still hanging over Sumatara and Kalimantan. So until then, let's assume this is not the end of the haze season.

Next week contender for the Ultimate Haze Survivor 2015 are PUMA Night Run 2015, Commando Challenge 2015, 2XU Ultra Biathlon 2015 and Newton Challenge 2015. Hope the 'Home' team can made a last surge to narrow the scoreline! :clapping:

First casualty of the weekend --> 2XU Ultra Biathlon 2015 has been postponed to 21 Nov 2015.

But the haze situation seems to be better today so the rest of the events should hopefully proceed as normal.

[update] Commando Challenge proceeded as planned.

2 more survivors added to the list: Puma Night Run and Newton Challenge proceed as planned.

The current score is 16-10.

Next week contender: New Balance Run On Singapore 2015; Singapore Biathlon 2015 and WOW Run 2015 – Women of Wellness.

Who will survive haze season 2015? Stay tune..

Not the sort of news we like to read. :cray:

Hazy new year - Southeast Asia set to suffer for months as Indonesia fails to douse fires

Indonesian forest fires that have caused choking smoke to drift across Southeast Asia are spreading to new areas and are unlikely to be put out until next year, experts said on Monday.
JAKARTA: Indonesian forest fires that have caused choking smoke to drift across Southeast Asia are spreading to new areas and are unlikely to be put out until next year, experts said on Monday.
Indonesia has come under increased pressure from its neighbours to contain the annual "haze" crisis, which is caused by slash-and-burn agriculture practices, largely on Sumatra and Kalimantan.
But it has failed to put out the fires, with "hot spots" growing in eastern parts of the country and industry officials and analysts estimating the smoke will last until early 2016.
"Maybe it will last until December and January," said Herry Purnomo, a scientist at the Center for International Forestry Research, adding that hot spots had reached Papua, a region that usually avoids widespread fires.
"It is because people are opening new agriculture areas, like palm oil," he said.
A senior official at a company active in Indonesia's forested areas said the haze could continue until March.
Indonesia usually enters its wet season in October and November, but this year the country is expected to face moderate El Nino dry conditions which could strengthen until December and may hinder efforts to control the fires.
Indonesia's national disaster management agency has made several forecasts for when the forest fires will be brought under control, many of which have now passed, but their latest target date is early November.
On the ground, NASA satellites detected 1,729 fire alerts across Indonesia on Wednesday, a national holiday, more than any single day in the last two years.
About half of the fires during the last week have been on carbon-rich peat land areas, mostly in South Sumatra, South and Central Kalimantan, Sulawesi and Papua.
Indonesian President Joko Widodo has increased government efforts to tackle the haze in recent weeks, making several visits to the worst-hit areas and asking other countries for help, but apparently to little avail.
"We all know that the burned areas are now widening beyond normal conditions," Widodo told reporters on Sunday. "...the efforts to extinguish the fires are ongoing now both by land and air. We have to be patient because the burned areas is now wide."
(Additional reporting by Bernadette Christina and Agustinus Beo Da Costa; Reporting by Michael Taylor; Editing by Nick Macfie)
- Reuters

Source

The 1 hr PSI jumped like crazy.... wtf is going on...

www.haze.sg

Well... I guess its good my stay in BKK will be extended for another 2 weeks :S

I will run one day in the haze (fingers crossed) here in SG tomorrow... :(

Heard from a friend that WOW is canceled as at 10pm last night, they have already received the medals during REPC

Today's haze is bad...the PSI over in CBD is over 200.Just hope that the PSI will drop below 100 over the weekend so that i can clock some training mileage....

Heard from a friend that WOW is canceled as at 10pm last night, they have already received the medals during REPC

Yeah correct. Another victim of Haze Season 2015.

Update on Facebook:

Dear WOW Runners
It is with utmost regret that we announce that WOW RUN 15 will be CANCELLED.
Due to the uncertainties of the haze situation, the committee has concluded that it is best for every party, not to proceed with the run. Especially since we cannot forecast the air quality on race day. Your safety and health is our utmost priority. We also have to consider the welfare of the vendors, suppliers and volunteers.
Other factors that we considered were wastages and loss of income for vendors, suppliers and service providers.
There is nothig else that we, the organisers, hoped for other than to see this event that we have planned and worked hard for, runs smoothly. And it breaks our hearts to have to cancel the run.
We seek your kind understanding and cooperation in this matter. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.
The balance race pack collection will proceed until Sat 3pm. Exchanges will start thereafter till 8pm.
WORLD WOW RUN will proceed in Australia (Hamidah Buang) and Atlanta US (Nura Goodson). Malaysia has also cancelled the run and proceed with indoor activities. Singapore runners are cordially invited to participate in WOW RUN MY @ Cyberjaya.
If the air quality permits, Singapore organisers will flag off on 25th October 2015 @ 0700hrs at various locations in Singapore to commemorate the movement.
Love
WOW RUN 15 Exco

New Balance Run On tonight is at risk.....

It's gone. Converted to walk.

So far 2 events has been either cancelled or converted to walk. No sure about the Singapore Biathlon. Anyone has an update since there isn't one on the website or facebook page.

The current score now is 18-10.

There's a bumper of events next week including some high profile one and some that were postponed earlier: Bounce Off 2015, Bedok Reservoir Ultramarathon 2015, Otter Run 2015, Ubin WayFinder 2015 and Great Eastern Women Run.

Who will survive? Stay tune!

There's a bumper of events next week including some high profile one and some that were postponed earlier: Bounce Off 2015, Bedok Reservoir Ultramarathon 2015, Otter Run 2015, Ubin WayFinder 2015 and Great Eastern Women Run.

Who will survive? Stay tune!

There's also the Sports Hub Stepper... Saw in your 1st post that it had previously been postponed to 31st Oct.

There's also the Sports Hub Stepper... Saw in your 1st post that it had previously been postponed to 31st Oct.

Thanks for the reminder! :thumbsu: Will keep a lookout for this event too.

The PSI now (Wednesday morning) is only 29!!!! If the weather stays like this throughout the day, everyone quickly lace up and go for a run this evening!!! Seldom to get such respite these 2 months....

1508654_10153294421523719_78231962193717

First causulty for weekend race. Bounce Off originally re-scheduled to 31 Oct has now been postponed again to Mar 10 2016.

Update from race orgainser:

Nucleus Events Production and MediaCorp regrettably announce that BounceOFF! - Asia’s Largest Inflatable Race and BounceOFF! Bazaar will be postponed due to the persistent haze condition in Singapore. The race and bazaar, scheduled on 31 October 2015, will be postponed to 12 March 2016.
We had hoped that the haze situation would improve but PSI levels have remained mostly in the unhealthy and very unhealthy range. In consideration of the health and safety of thousands of Bouncers and crew involved, we are moving the event to next March, when clear skies are expected.
For enquiries, please contact info@bounceoff.com.sg.

The PSI now (Wednesday morning) is only 29!!!! If the weather stays like this throughout the day, everyone quickly lace up and go for a run this evening!!! Seldom to get such respite these 2 months....

1508654_10153294421523719_78231962193717

That's so cute!!

That's so cute!!

It's a screenshot of the Haze@SG mobile app LOL!!

Anyway, looks like it's all clear for today as well!!! Runners, no time for procrastination. Get some mileage clocked while it's clear!!!

That's so cute!!

It's a screenshot of the Haze@SG mobile app LOL!!

Anyway, looks like it's all clear for today as well!!! Runners, no time for procrastination. Get some mileage clocked while it's clear!!!

Oic! Does the merlion's face change with the haze condition? Let me download it :)

Has there been a turn for the better in the haze situation? Sub-50 for the last 2 mornings and not even dense haze detected over Sumatra and Kalimantan!

st_20151030_haze30_1800639.jpg

Oic! Does the merlion's face change with the haze condition? Let me download it :)

Yes it does...you should've seen the Merlion when the psi is above unhealthy levels, but i really hope we don't have to see that anymore hahaha

Has there been a turn for the better in the haze situation? Sub-50 for the last 2 mornings and not even dense haze detected over Sumatra and Kalimantan!

st_20151030_haze30_1800639.jpg

Finally some respite!! I really hope the change in wind directions and some rain these days will wipe out the hotspots once and for all!!!

Yes it does...you should've seen the Merlion when the psi is above unhealthy levels, but i really hope we don't have to see that anymore hahaha

I saw various examples of the Merlion in the App store when I downloaded it :)

But I too, hope it doesn't appear in the weather updates! The haze is such a pain!