Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lonewolf

Haze Season 2015 (fka Day of Infamy - 13 Sep 2015)

September 13, 2015 - A day which will live in infamy in Singapore Running Community.

A day when an unprecedented number of high-profile races were being held on the same day at different venues all over our tiny island.

A day when the haze emulating from our neighbouring country reached Unhealthy level forcing some races to be cancelled and other to be modified.

1. Race Against Cancer, East Coast Park --> Event cancelled
  2. Yellow Ribbon Prison Run, Changi Road --> 10K cancelled. 6K Fun run converted to walk. Carnival at end point proceeded as normal.
  3. POSB Run for Kids, Marina Promontory --> 10K Run, Kids Run, Family Walk cancelled. Carnival proceeded as normal.
  4. SAFRA Celebration Run & Ride, Sentosa --> 5K and 1.5K converted to walk.
  5. Clementi Vertical, Clementi Blk 441B --> Sworke Men's, Women's Open, Veteran's and Youth's Open cancelled. Leisure Walk and Relay proceed as normal.

With so many races cancelled by the haze, I'm sure many of us were affected as we would probably have signed up for one of the above races.

Hopefully, there won't be any last repercussion as a result of the cancellation. The last time the haze postpone races in 2013, one of them never made it back on the calendar - the much-loved Mt Faber run. Another high-profile casualty due to race cancellation ( though not due to haze) was Adidas King of the Road.

But looking at the above list of races, I'm quietly optimistic that none of them will suffer the same fate *fingers crossed*

==================================================================================================
List of Races Affected by Haze Season 2015 [scheduled date of event in bracket]

1) Race Against Cancer, East Coast Park (13 Sep) --> Event cancelled

2)Yellow Ribbon Prison Run, Changi Road (13 Sep) --> 10K cancelled. 6K Fun run converted to walk. Carnival at end point proceeded as normal.

3) POSB Run for Kids, Marina Promontory (13 Sep) --> 10K Run, Kids Run, Family Walk cancelled. Carnival proceeded as normal.

4) SAFRA Celebration Run & Ride, Sentosa (13 Sep) --> 5K and 1.5K converted to walk.

5) Clementi Vertical, Clementi Blk 441B (13 Sep) --> Sworke Men's, Women's Open, Veteran's and Youth's Open cancelled. Leisure Walk and Relay proceed as normal.

6) Garfield Run, Sentosa (19 Sep) --> 1KM Run for Kids shortened to 700M Run, 6KM Couple/ Buddies Run shortened to 4KM Run, 4KM Fun Run shortened to 2.5KM Fun Run

7) Bloomberg Square Mile Relay Singapore (1 Oct)--> Postponed. Date TBA.

8 ) Civil Service Club Singapore Duathlon (3 Oct) --> POSTPONED to 28 Nov 2015

9) Bounce Off 2015 (3 Oct) -- > Postponed to 31 Oct 2015

10) Promise of the Rainbow (4 Oct) --> Postponed to 13 Dec 2015

11) CapitaLand #100KHopeHours Challenge (Oct 3) --> Event Cancelled

12) Singapore Sports Hub Stepper (Oct 3) --> Kids Climb, Competitive Enduro and Speed races are postponed to 31 October 2015. Community Fun stepper will proceed as a “Walk-Only” activity.

13) Corporate Community Games Running Relay (3 Oct) --> Event Cancelled

14) Pink Ribbon Walk (03 Oct) --> Walk cancelled. Carnival activities proceed as per normal.

15) Light Up Your Life Run (03 Oct) --> 5km and 10km run will be combined into a single 5km walk/jog. The 2km dog walk, adoption drive and carnival will still go on.

16) 2XU Ultrabiathlon (17 Oct) --> Postponed to 21 Nov 2015.

17) WOW Run 2015 – Women of Wellness (25 Oct) --> Event Cancelled

18) New Balance Run On (24 Oct) --> Converted to Walk

19) Bounce Off 2015 (31 Oct) --> Postponed to 12 Mar 2016. The only race to be postponed twice because of the haze!

Ultimate Survivors of Haze Season 2015

1. SMU Mile Run (20 Sep)
  2. ST Run at the Hub (27 Sep)
  3. Homes. Hope. Humanity Run (04 Oct)
  4. The M.A.D Race 2015 (10 Oct)
  5. TNF 100 (10 Oct)
  6. Ground Zero – Run For Humanity (10 Oct)
  7. Chua Chu Kang B.I.G. Farm Walk & Run (11 Oct)
  8. Commando Challenge (17 Oct)
  9. Puma Night Run (17 Oct)
  10. Newton Challenge (18 Oct)
  11. Bedok Reservoir Ultramarathon 2015 (31 Oct)
  12. Otter Run 2015 (31 Oct)
  13. Sports Hub Stepper (31 Oct)
  14. Ubin WayFinder 2015 (1 Nov)
  15. Great Eastern Women Run (1 Nov)

Not often so many events on same day. But the haze at this time of the year is a bit unexpected since we had it good for most of 2015 and it's almost end of haze season.

Hi lonewolf, thanks for collating the events. I had no idea so many were affected.

Perhaps the running community can be mobilised to help stop the haze. I just posted about it here: http://www.sgrunners.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22044

In case that thread is deleted or moved, I have pasted the content below here as well:

-----------------------

Over the past year, some people and I have been thinking that it's time for ordinary people to take action against the haze. As you may know, although the haze drifts over from Indonesia, a lot of the money behind it is coming from Singapore.
At the root of the haze is companies engaging in unsustainable palm oil & paper production. The group I volunteer with, People's Movement to Stop Haze, is campaigning to raise awareness about this issue.
To get back our clean air, we are asking consumers to pledge their support for sustainable (haze-free) palm oil at www.XtheHaze.org. It just takes a few seconds to tell companies we don't want our money going to the haze. The pledges will be cited as consumer support when we and our partners approach companies. If the Netherlands can aim for 100% certified sustainable palm oil for their economy by the end of this year, we believe Singapore can start moving in that direction too.
Support the campaign at www.XtheHaze.org, share and our collective voice gets louder.

Not often so many events on same day. But the haze at this time of the year is a bit unexpected since we had it good for most of 2015 and it's almost end of haze season.

Actually I thought it was not totally unexpected because of the El Niño Effect this yr.

lol quite funny nia.. no wonder i saw so many cones but no one running in GBTB area

The haze was quite bad.. although not to the point of super unhealthy

How does the conversion from "run" to "walk" works... what if someone decides to run anyway? :x

lol quite funny nia.. no wonder i saw so many cones but no one running in GBTB area

The haze was quite bad.. although not to the point of super unhealthy

How does the conversion from "run" to "walk" works... what if someone decides to run anyway? :x

You probably referring to the POSB PAssion run for kids. You should have take a look at the cones for the kids course around the Marina Bay Gallery. Its quite a sight!

As for the run to walk, the thinking is that walking would be a less strenuous exercise. But you are right. The organiser can't stop anyone who decides to run and I think many in the YRPR 6k 'Walk' decides to run anyway.

Re F1...

Yes will be very interesting to see what happens this week. Money talks and F1 is big business. They manage to hold international sporting events in Beijing but the pollution there is a bit more controllable by the Chinese government. The haze here is less predictable.

In a way I hope it is impacted as it will force some more decisive action.

it's not just about race cancellations ... its also about the training that runners had put in over the weeks to see their races cancelled due to haze... it could be many's 1st ever race on the event... I believe the impact is big for a running race and even bigger for a F1 race.... as lonewolf had pointed out, the safety of drivers are of paramount as well if visibility becomes an issue... I just hope more can be done on this issue by various Govts and not allowing this issue to repeat itself again in the years to come....

Anyone doing training lately? I missed a run today and am feeling so guilty. This is especially I am going for an overseas marathon in Dec.

Last week was better and I could do 2 runs of 12km (last Tues evening) and 22km (last Sat early morning).

This weekend is just as bad after two days of good air quality, current PSI is shooting up to near 200 early Saturday morning, think more races will be canceled. :(

Haze Season 2015 has claimed another victim - Garfield Run 2015

- 1KM Run for Kids will be shortened to a 700M Run (Competitive)

- 6KM Couple/ Buddies Run will be shortened to a 4KM Run (Competitive)

- 4KM Fun Run will be shortened to a 2.5KM Fun Run

With the growing 'body count', I am updating the first post to include all paid running races (other races excluded like the Gei Gei King Fun Run) that were affected by the Haze Season 2015 in one way or another; either outright cancellation or modification of plan.

How to train for full marathon if haze lasts till Nov???

Need to put the culprits into a room full of smoke. Let's see how they feel.

How to train for full marathon if haze lasts till Nov???

Need to put the culprits into a room full of smoke. Let's see how they feel.

Second that!!

Haze Season 2015 has claimed another 2 victims!

Both Bloomberg Square Mile Relay Singapore 2015 and Civil Service Club Singapore Duathlon 2015 has been postponed.

The following 6 events over this weekend (Oct 3-4) that are in danger of falling victims: Singapore Sports Hub Stepper 2015, Corporate Community Games 2015, Pink Ribbon Walk 2015, Light Up Your Life Run 2015, Promise of the Rainbow 2015, Homes. Hope. Humanity Run 2015.

Which will be affected?? Stay tune!

[update] Promise of the Rainbow has been postponed to 13 Dec 2015

Haze Season 2015 has claimed another 2 victims!

Both Bloomberg Square Mile Relay Singapore 2015 and Civil Service Club Singapore Duathlon 2015 has been postponed.

The fare 6 events over this weekend (Oct 3-4) that are in danger of falling victims: Singapore Sports Hub Stepper 2015, Corporate Community Games 2015, Pink Ribbon Walk 2015, Light Up Your Life Run 2015, Promise of the Rainbow 2015, Homes. Hope. Humanity Run 2015.

Which will be affected?? Stay tune!

... And the Capitaland 5k Heritage Trail...

The 'body count for Haze Season 2015 has now reached an unprecedented 12! :startle:

The CapitaLand #100KHopeHours Challenge has been cancelled.
For then Singapore Sports Hub Stepper 2015, the Kids Climb, Competitive Enduro and Speed races are postponed to 31 October 2015. Community Fun stepper will proceed as a “Walk-Only” activity.

Saw on FB from last nite, that Corporate Community Games is also cancelled...

Dear Running Relay Team Captains and Participants,

Your health and safety matter to us.

With the 3-hr PSI at 122, as of 10pm, and NEA's forecast for the next 24 hrs to be between the mid and high section of the unhealthy range, and may enter the very unhealthy range, we regret to inform that we will be canceling the CCG running relay tomorrow.

Please help to inform your fellow Team members.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Best regards,

The CCG Team

Thanks for the update, sicklycat. I have updated the 1st post. I think next to fall should be Pink Ribbon Walk.

[update] The Pink Ribbon Walk has been cancelled.

From SOSD/ Light Up Your Life Run FB:

Due to hazy weather, the 5km and 10km run will be combined into a single 5km walk/jog. The 2km dog walk, adoption drive and carnival will still go on.