Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beepbeep

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore ( 5 - 6 Dec 2015 )

post-20404-0-86428100-1434502503_thumb.j

Hottest event in town .....Mark your Calendar !!

Priority Registration for SC Cardholders - 7-8 July

Public Registration - 9 July

More details coming up soon....

Exciting! I wonder whether we'll have any prominent invited runners like Haile at last year's edition.

I also wonder what sort of registration model the organisers will use this year. Hopefully they won't try anything fancy as with last year's "Priority+", "Priority" or "Normal" prices.

Exciting! I wonder whether we'll have any prominent invited runners like Haile at last year's edition.

I also wonder what sort of registration model the organisers will use this year. Hopefully they won't try anything fancy as with last year's "Priority+", "Priority" or "Normal" prices.

Dun mean no disrespect but quite frankly I rather they save the cost of inviting celebrities runners and concentrate on improving participants welfare and enhancing the race experience.

Celebrity runners are just cheap publicity. Granted I know that Haile did organise some workshops and runs and gave some interviews, but it dun mean much to most of us except for the starry eyes among us (again no disrespect).

Actually I dun have a big issue with last yr registration model. I thought it was generally handled well and there wasn't a lot of screw up. It just that majority of us are not familiar with the system. And as with anything new, a lot of us were either not comfortable, was confused and unclear.

This year's SCMS will be the SG50 special edition. As Singapore's marquee running event, i'll still support regardless if its a special one or not. Just hope that the organizer don't come out with some 'smart-alec' registration mode like last year.

PS: Beepbeep, spotted a typo error on the thread's title ;)

I recall how they extended registration specifically to allow runners to sign up for the 10km to run with Haile hahah. Personally I saw Haile just metres away from me when I started my race, though I didn't manage to see him during any other instance. I've seen some replays of his older races online and it's truly impressive to see the "Emperor" of distance running. However I wish there was more accessibility for any willing participant to meet him, though I understand the limitations. I think some of his workshops were based on invitation or certain criteria, though I'm not quite certain...

I do agree that having such invited runners really can add to the cost. Though in this case, it seemed like his appearance was much more of a last minute addition actually. If I recall they only started publicising his attendance towards the later parts of registration.

Good point about the new system being unfamiliar hence causing discomfort. think what I didn't like about the system was the limited number of slots available for certain prices. I didn't like how it placed unpredictable time pressure (unlike a predictable time pressure with an "Early bird" price based on date registered) on registration hahah.

I think another interesting aspect last year was the Ekiden sign ups requiring a $500 donation, in addition to the registration fees. If I'm not wrong, unlike previous years where the Ekiden was fully registered for, there were many empty slots last year. Then again, we've seen the introduction of so many new relay events (Asics City Relay, The Great Relay, Mizuno Ekiden) introduced this year.

This year's SCMS will be the SG50 special edition. As Singapore's marquee running event, i'll still support regardless if its a special one or not. Just hope that the organizer don't come out with some 'smart-alec' registration mode like last year.

PS: Beepbeep, spotted a typo error on the thread's title ;)

Dear Jerry,

Thanks for pointing out.... :D

SCMS is an IAAF Gold Label event - it is listed on the IAAF website showing the 2015 edition - see http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-label-road-races/calendar/2015

In order to get this Gold Label status, they need to fulfil a number of conditions set out by the IAAF including on the quality of the field (see the Regulations here http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-label-road-races).

Quoting directly from the Regulations:

(3.1) Gold and Silver Label Races must have an ‘international elite field’ with a minimum of five men and five women participating in the competition in the relevant Label category as defined in §3.2 hereunder of at least 5 different nationalities (note: this could be, for example, elite men from 3 countries and elite women from 2 countries for mixed gender races).

(3.2.1) IAAF Gold Label Races: to qualify as Gold level elite runners, athletes must have recorded a performance of a level determined by the IAAF in the 36 months period preceding the competition, OR have finished in the first 20 places in the most recent edition of the IAAF World Championships, World Half Marathon Championships or Olympic Games Marathons. For 2014 these times are considered to be:

- Marathon: Men: 2:10:00 and Women: 2:28:00;

- Half Marathon: Men: 1:01:00 and Women: 1:11:00;

- 10km: Men: 28:00 and Women: 32:00.

So in order to qualify as a Gold Label race, they MUST invite overseas elite runners. None of the top local athletes are anywhere near these standards, plus there is the requirement to have elite participants from 5 different countries.

You can obviously debate the merits of having this IAAF status, but it is the only race in Singapore that does have IAAF Label status and it would be a shame for Singapore to have no internationally recognised races. There are plenty of other races to choose from if you don't support this for the one IAAF Label race in the year.

So let's embrace this high quality field for one occasion during the year!

Granted that it is a gold IAAF status for SCMS, I don't see it benefiting most of the race participants and only the elites get to have a bottleneck free run experience.

It is still back to the basics of organizing a quality race from the start (registration, race expo, race pack collection) to actual race day (baggage deposit, transport arrangement, race experience, logistics etc) and up to post race (collection of runners' entitlements, baggage and leaving the race event).

Finish this run mean end of year 2015.... Running with second hand bib over the past last years.. considering i should sign up in my own name if the race theme is SG50 special edition..

the main race of the year for most...... should be taking part, just which category only.....

yes, being the only IAAF Gold labelled race, as locals we should support it.... the price will definitely be steep due to all the requirements they need to continue its gold status.....and true enuff that the mass participants do not get much of the benefit for this status directly.... but some indirect ones are present..... such as when talking to other foreigner runners, the 1st race they mention is SCMS... those at home can get to watch some telecast of the elite runners so those who missed out the run due to injury can still "feel" that they are at the race.... hahahah

Finish this run mean end of year 2015.... Running with second hand bib over the past last years.. considering i should sign up in my own name if the race theme is SG50 special edition..

Just when I told myself I am not running this year and I saw your posting on this SG50 thingy. Worth running hor.

Just when I told myself I am not running this year and I saw your posting on this SG50 thingy. Worth running hor.

This will be the SCMS SG50 edition. Just do it!!

This will be the SCMS SG50 edition. Just do it!!

Depends what they do to make it SG50 special or unique. Wait for details at launch cause race experience seldom good due to crowds before start and on route

Have they start to request tenders from the fruit suppliers liao?:P

We just need one type of fruit actually. .. haha. .. hope they rem and rectified it this year..

Have they start to request tenders from the fruit suppliers liao? :P

We just need one type of fruit actually. .. haha. .. hope they rem and rectified it this year..

Hope to see oranges.... But thats not gonna happen.... hahaha

Water melons would be so nice!

I totally agreed !!! Unless someone set up unoffical station

It will only be nice if its cool. Imagine if it was left out in the sun for a few hours! I can't imagine eating a warm watermelon while trying to run a marathon. :startle:

It will only be nice if its cool. Imagine if it was left out in the sun for a few hours! I can't imagine eating a warm watermelon while trying to run a marathon. :startle:

Water melon is heavy and who going to cut it into slice ? Don't torture the volunteer.

Last year SCMS bo lang join..

Closer to the registration end date still not full yet.

Comparing this to overseas SCMS...

And the fact that SG has only that few FM still doesn't attract full registration.

And there's people who train base on calendar year using SCMS to finish off their training before Xmas, NY, CNY, bonus go holidays period.

I joined my 1st SCMS last year. Never did any SCM overseas b4...and I doubt I would in near future. Any possible reasons why SCMS participation rate is slow ?

Water melon is heavy and who going to cut it into slice ? Don't torture the volunteer.

We can all dream on. Haha!