Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wonderfulblevic

Caution before buying Garmin watches

Have been using Garmin 610 for 3 years+. Overall, the watch itself has been reliable and useful. However, 2 key things about Garmin has pissed me to the point for thinking seriously about getting another brand instead of upgrading to 620.

1) The watch strap has broken TWICE in 3 years. And the thing is, it's a nightmare trying to get the strap replaced. Most shops sell only the watch and not the strap. As far as I know, there is just no physical store selling straps other than the distributor.

2) What really gets my goat is the non-existent customer service esp at the Orchard Central shop. I've visited it a few times and every time, the level of service leaves much to be desired. I wonder why they bother to open that shop when the sales staff doesnt seem interested in the customer at all. Couple of years ago, I had the watch replaced free of charge due to corroding backface which was a problem with the initial batches. The shop assistant at Orchard told me not possible. The shop assistant at Ubi HQ told me not possible. I had to write to Garmin website in Taiwan before they agreed to replace for free, including the postage. Recently, visited the Orchard shop again to get a replacement strap. Was told no stock even though it's own computer record showed there is supposed to be one available. They could not find it. Was told to leave my contacts and they will try calling the Ubi HQ on Monday and get back to me. Of course, no one did. Called them up today and the staff had the cheek to tell me to call Ubi. After I told them that THEY were supposed to contact me AFTER contacting Ubi in the first place, he conveniently said no stock. He is clearly clairvoyant.

Honestly, Garmin's customer service in Singapore is a disgrace.

Have been using Garmin 610 for 3 years+. Overall, the watch itself has been reliable and useful. However, 2 key things about Garmin has pissed me to the point for thinking seriously about getting another brand instead of upgrading to 620.

1) The watch strap has broken TWICE in 3 years. And the thing is, it's a nightmare trying to get the strap replaced. Most shops sell only the watch and not the strap. As far as I know, there is just no physical store selling straps other than the distributor.

2) What really gets my goat is the non-existent customer service esp at the Orchard Central shop. I've visited it a few times and every time, the level of service leaves much to be desired. I wonder why they bother to open that shop when the sales staff doesnt seem interested in the customer at all. Couple of years ago, I had the watch replaced free of charge due to corroding backface which was a problem with the initial batches. The shop assistant at Orchard told me not possible. The shop assistant at Ubi HQ told me not possible. I had to write to Garmin website in Taiwan before they agreed to replace for free, including the postage. Recently, visited the Orchard shop again to get a replacement strap. Was told no stock even though it's own computer record showed there is supposed to be one available. They could not find it. Was told to leave my contacts and they will try calling the Ubi HQ on Monday and get back to me. Of course, no one did. Called them up today and the staff had the cheek to tell me to call Ubi. After I told them that THEY were supposed to contact me AFTER contacting Ubi in the first place, he conveniently said no stock. He is clearly clairvoyant.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I own and use the FR210 since 2013. When the strap broke, I brought it to Queensway to try my luck if I can get it replaced. The shop owner asked me to produce the local receipt which I did. I got a new strap in 2 weeks with fee charged.

I have not visited Garmin (Orchard Central) or Ubi. All I can deduce is that the difference in customer service is due to employees vs business owners.

So far the forum feedback for Garmin straps replacement in Sing has been consistently poor. Almost did not pick up a Garmin because of this.

Now that I had picked up a 220, I can only hope that they buck up on this aspect of customer service.

@womderfulblevic, my heart goes to you. They definitely could have done a lot better.

Agree the people in the Orchard Central shop doesn't seem to be interested in doing business. I tried asking for the release date of 620 in Singapore one time, and they don't even know there was going to be a 620.

I have to agree that the service at Navicom's branch at Orchard Central generally sucks.

I bought the Fenix from them and specifically asked if their batch has the water vapour issues and they said no.

After a few days' use, condensation appeared on the inside the watch face. Went back and they immediately took it back to send for repair. I can't help but feel that they knew about the issue but still wanted to sell it to me.

Before I got a Garmin I already knew the non existent after sales in SG.

Anything please check with Taiwan.

Polar u can get better service here...but I go for brand...

Suunto is also a good watch...but I still go with my heart.

polar has amazing service in sg. bought my watch online, it had issues with water leaking. i went to the local polar service centre and they replaced the whole watch in 2 days. amazing service even though i didnt purchase it locally.

polar has amazing service in sg. bought my watch online, it had issues with water leaking. i went to the local polar service centre and they replaced the whole watch in 2 days. amazing service even though i didnt purchase it locally.

Great to hear since my next GPS watch will be a Polar :good:

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I own and use the FR210 since 2013. When the strap broke, I brought it to Queensway to try my luck if I can get it replaced. The shop owner asked me to produce the local receipt which I did. I got a new strap in 2 weeks with fee charged.

I have not visited Garmin (Orchard Central) or Ubi. All I can deduce is that the difference in customer service is due to employees vs business owners.

The day that I had been fearing has finally arrived... My Garmin strap broke! :cray:

So from wonderfulblevic's post, it looks like I should avoid Orchard Central, since they will unlikely help me with a strap change...

Can Run4yourlife please advise which shop in Queensway did you go to? I didn't buy my watch from there, but would like to try my luck if I can pay for a new strap...

Or if anyone else can advise where I should go to get help.

Thanks!

Why not just get a generic replacement? Don't have to be a Garmin brand.

I replaced my Fenix strap with a non rubber strap and its working great.

Why not just get a generic replacement? Don't have to be a Garmin brand.

I replaced my Fenix strap with a non rubber strap and its working great.

Oh! That works? I thought the connection for different watches/brands will differ? So I can try to get that done with any generic watch shop?

Then again, I love my current colour combinations, and I have a feeling generic straps will not have these colours...

anyway.... is there any similarities or some kind of time span that the strap would snap?? i want to be well prepared before it occur....... anything about how u guys store the watch usually after runs???

It should be a non issue for autumnrunner as you are using a Forerunner 220? There is a replacement strap for it which I have bought from the Orchard Central Garmin outlet.

The replacement wrist strap should be this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Wrist-Strap-Kit-Forerunner-610-/281539037605?hash=item418d08c9a5and Garmin official website has the replacement straps available (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/bands/forerunner-610-bands/prod94026.html) Of course, you can try finding them from ebay too.

yes i am using 220... so there is replacement straps.... i was just looking at the strap and it is screwed into part of the watch face..... i was wondering if the strap broke off at the screw part or the rubber gave way....

The day that I had been fearing has finally arrived... My Garmin strap broke! :cray:

So from wonderfulblevic's post, it looks like I should avoid Orchard Central, since they will unlikely help me with a strap change...

Can Run4yourlife please advise which shop in Queensway did you go to? I didn't buy my watch from there, but would like to try my luck if I can pay for a new strap...

Thanks!

I got my strap 620 from a shop at SLS (level 4 or 5 on the right side of the escalator). Paid $58. You can try there.

Nothing new here really. I was with Garmin from 2010 to 2014. The last watch, the Fenix 2 gave me a lot of problems. Switched to Suunto, haven't looked back since. :)

Thanks!

Singapore Advance Lap Pte Ltd 1 Queensway

#01-43 Queensway Shopping Centre

Singapore 149053 +65-64794381

sicklycat, this is the shop i went to. call them to enquire first

My garmin 620 watch band broken and the HRM strap inner lining tear apart. Fortunately, I found a replacement with guidance from sgrunners.

Now, I am going to change the watch band. Too many perforated holes weakened the strap and make it filmsy. Now the latest Garmin 630 has also many perforated holes in the watch band. Good luck!

Is the Advance Lap at Queensway still open?