Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lonewolf

[Tutorial] How to Embed an Image to Post

Hi all

I come across more than a few people commenting about embedding an image to a post and how difficult or confusing it is. So in order not to go out of topic by replying in those posts, I decided to start this post so that it will be easier to reference back when needed.

Its easy to embed a picture but there are some steps involved.

1) You will need a image hosting/storage service. I use Photobucket myself but there are many available so you can goggle for one.

2) After creating an account for yourself, you are ready to begin! Upload a picture to the server and once that's done, you will be given several links to the image (depending on the image host services you use). Some image hosts may allow you to upload images without registering but anonymous uploads are usually delete after a short time and then your image will not appear in the post. Registering for an account mean your image will not be deleted.

3) Now all you need to do is to start the sgrunners editor when you start or edit a post. Follow the steps as follows:

AttachingImage_zps07bb1a6e.jpg

And you're done!

Hope the above is clear enough. Pls feel free to clarify if you need further information.

Good luck!

Thank you Lonewolf for the simple tutorial on attaching photos here and providing search results for image hosting :)

Different forum platforms will have different ways to attach photos in the forum threads. Sgrunners forum's image embedding is considered easy to use by standard.

Thank you Lonewolf for the simple tutorial on attaching photos here and providing search results for image hosting :)

Different forum platforms will have different ways to attach photos in the forum threads. Sgrunners forum's image embedding is considered easy to use by standard.

SGRunners' photo upload is considered easy?! :|

Miss sicklycat, let me explain it quickly.

From lonewolf's post, you can see that to insert an embedded image into a forum post, there are pop out screens to guide you to do so. All you need to do is to get a direct image link for the picture/photo to be shown and paste it into the pop-up screen and your image displays nicely on your post.

Some other forums platforms will need forum/HTML tags for the image to be shown in the post and there is no quick access button to do it.

That is what i mean when I say this forum image embedding (not photo/file upload) is easy :)

I agree with trailblazer. sgrunner editor is quite user friendly. I love the toggle to go into the BBCode mode.

Personally I prefer to just copy and paste IMG code cos that is faster; but that may be a bit confusing for those not comfortable editing in BBcode Mode. That why I have not included that in my tutorial.

Dear all

I realised that my tutorial on embedding an image described above may still be too complicated for many since it requires uploading to an image server.

So I am coming up with a simpler way by leveraging on the excellent forum editor.

1) Reply to a topic by either pressing the 'More Reply Options' at the bottom or 'Reply' at the top of the page.

sgrunner-post-image-01_zpsu7ojsapg.jpg

2) The (full) forum editor is now opened for you to enter your reply. At the bottom, there is an option to 'Attach Files'

sgrunner-post-image-02_zpsy3u7jsxq.jpg

3) Select the picture file from your computer and wait for the file to be uploaded. After the file is uploaded, press 'Add to Post' to include the picture to your post.

post-21301-0-46697900-1428751773_thumb.j

Make sure your cursor is at the editor when you press 'Add to Post'. You should see something like '[attachement=xxxx:xxxx.jpg] in the editor as below.

sgrunner-post-image-04_zpsexbn4lm5.jpg

4) That's it! You're done. The image is now embedded to the post. Now all you have to do is to press 'Add Reply' (for new post) or 'Submit Modified Post' (for editing post)

Pls note that you will be limited to image of 2MB by using the attachment of the editor so you may need to resize or reduce the resolution of the image first before uploading.

Thanks Lonewolf! I think that is a new photo upload option they had provided! :thumbsu:

I definitely didn't see it before, when I was almost reduced to tears, going through so many complicated steps, spending an hr or so, and yet, still not being able to upload photos in the end! The un-IT-savvy me definitely can't do the old way!

The new option is so much more user-friendly!

Thanks Lonewolf! I think that is a new photo upload option they had provided! :thumbsu:

I definitely didn't see it before, when I was almost reduced to tears, going through so many complicated steps, spending an hr or so, and yet, still not being able to upload photos in the end! The un-IT-savvy me definitely can't do the old way!

Actually I think the option is always there. Just that I have never try with uploading an image previously and din know that the uploaded image can be embedded to the post. But some of the guys mentioned it and I gave it a try. And so I decided to do a simple write up so that more will be able to easily post image. Ultimately the forum will benefit! :zoro:

Actually I think the option is always there. Just that I have never try with uploading an image previously and din know that the uploaded image can be embedded to the post. But some of the guys mentioned it and I gave it a try. And so I decided to do a simple write up so that more will be able to easily post image. Ultimately the forum will benefit! :zoro:

I don't think it was there in the past... At least, I never saw it before, and had been hunting all over... Plus, when I posted queries in the past, only complicated solutions get shared, which indicates that rest of forummers didn't know of the easy solution either - and that's likely because it didn't exist previously.

Personally I don't quite like the file upload option as non forum members will not be able to see the images/pictures uploaded =)

The key steps to attach images in a forum post is explained by Lonewolf.

One thing to note for the image to show up in the post is to have a direct image hyperlink and when you click that link, the picture/image shows up (for example: http://oi59.tinypic.com/2dhbig7.jpg)

I shall share three photos hosting websites (accounts not needed but good to have one):

1) Tinypic (http://tinypic.com/):

For a recent post which I was trying to attach the image of the route screenshot, this is how i used it --> http://www.sgrunners.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21386&page=2#entry503616

2) Imgbox (http://imgbox.com/)

When you upload the image, try to get the actual photo/file image link ending with a .jpg, .gif, .png etc (i.e. the hyperlink should be something like http://i.imgbox.com/XXXXX.jpg)

3) Imgur (http://imgur.com/)

Here is a sample of how the exact image weblink will be: http://i.imgur.com/PtrGJ0h.jpg

I shall not flood my post with sample photos and it is for the forum members to try when they wish to show pictures =)

Personally I don't quite like the file upload option as non forum members will not be able to see the images/pictures uploaded =)

Not true! Read my tutorial carefully again.

You can use the 'Add to Post' option after you upload the picture for the image to appear. I have tried it out and in fact the image after Step #3 in my tutorial was a direct upload and not an image link from a image server.

So like I said, an image server is no longer required but direct upload is limited to 2mb but that should be sufficient for most images.

[update] OK. After re-reading yr post again, you are right. You need to be a forum member and log in to see the image. But then again, I think majority of people who come to this forum should be member so this only affect a small minority.