Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

delldell314

Challenge: Taiwan

I have this race in sight.

Please post race report thereafter. Thanks.

Wet suit swim?

I have this race in sight.

Please post race report thereafter. Thanks.

Wet suit swim?

Hi Mr Russ,

I will come in here with a detailed post race... Yes... I research quite alot and got to know that Challenge Tw Taitung is more family friendly than IM70.3 Kenting.. Wife and daughter is coming along too..

Another point in this race which caught my eye is the flat and fast bike coz... So far all my triathlon event is either steep climb or bent route... never do a flat and straight fast bike route in full 100% aero mode..

Nope. Based on the race photo and research, i don't expect wet suit swim..But I got my first wet suit from taobao but still not season yet...

I was hoping to do my first wet suit swim in either Korea or japan 70.3.. maybe next year...

Hi guys,

finally completed my first im70.3 oversea race.. It is a wonderful and marvellous experience for me!! Long time while I felt such feeling of achievement..

I shall post up a full detail race experience When I bk from tw. Still enjoying family vaca.. :)

Second triathlon 113k completed !! It was an amazing race oversea race experience.. Glad i chose Challenge Triathlon.. It did as it promised.. A family friendly race!

Here go for my post race + travelling experience..

Travel:

Travel with a big bike casing. This is my first time and it was quite a hassle.. sort of... Disassemble the bike and pack in all in... WIth a bike box, only a Maxi cab is able to handle e luggage. It was a rented bike box thus it took more time to pack all the stuff into the box.. The good thing is that i can pack all my triathlon gear into that bike box and segregate the rest of the travel stuff..

Checked in baggage in SQ. Expected no problem with the airline and the collection was hassle free too at Taiwan airport. No complain..

Arrival.

Travelling is exciting too with another domestic airport from Taipei to Taitung. I hired a local travelling agent who took care of my bike. They arranged to transport the bike box by road instead of air. We are only able to collect the bike box on e next morning. Check in Taitung hotel and rest for e nite upon arrival dinner.

Check in/ Race eve:

Race expo and check in is at Naruwan hotel abt 450m away from my hotel, Naruwan inn. Collected e bike box after asking around e staff. Know how to communicate in mandarin in tw is definitely make your way much more easier!

There are plenty of space at the lobby to assemble your bike. Maybe i was early and there are only a few participants ard too to fix their bike too.. As usual, all the dam satki bicycles appearing all around me... Fixed up my bike and request the race mechanic to help me with some minor adjustment.. Unlike metamen, it was free servicing (exclude part of coz)

Due to the travelling agent arrangment, i manage to know some Sg guys there too. They are not e first timers to race there thus they know the way around. I was lucky to tag along with them for a bike test ride after the race expo.. Glad to have the bike is all ok.

As it is my first race here, I was advised to atttend the briefing by the travel agent. As it is not my first IM race, i know wat to expect... except most of the participants are very interested in one particular qn: WIll it be a wetsuit swim?

Sound of disappointment was heard when organizer declared as non-wetsuit.. A wetsuit swim is a must only when the water drop below 24.5 degC... Organizer shall confirm again just before 30min the race start. I hope it is not a wetsuit as i 'm not seasoned with mine yet... But i did not realise what am i missing out until the race day...(shall explain later)

Done with the briefing and lunch with the local tri group i just knew and my family..

The biggest issue for this race is that the distance between starting point/TA and the hotel is not near to each other.. Lucky i got the travel agent, they have bus to drive us around. After TA bag preparation, i decided to tag along the group who prefer to cycle from hotel to TA to check in bike. I was lucky to have experienced Sg ppl to tag along so i know my way around.

Cycling from hotel to TA is straight forward if you know the way.. It was just abt 5km cycling and traffic is consider light.

The layout of the TA bag is considered less pro than Metaman past year.. All the TA bag are lie on the floor... instead of hanging onto some support.. Perhaps they don't expect rain but the weather is very cloudy and cold ( to me)... It was drizzling during the night but all the TA bag remained dry on the race day itself..

Alot of fancy and expensive bikes along the TA... The event TA is split into 113km (half iron) and 515 (standard distance). Both TA are at the different area.

The taitung lake for the swim is very long when i see from the starting point... It was making me nervous about the sight of it....

Preparation and check in of bike.. Our travel agent bus us back to the hotel for carbo loading dinner...

Carbo loading

Food is considered good and enough varieties. Compared to the metamen post race dinner, challenge carbo loading is much more better! There are fruits, ice cream, meat and veg etc... with free flow beverages... It was a good meal and you can fill up your stomach enough for the race day.

After nice dinner, my family and i strolled back slowly back to our hotel from the offical hotel.. It was drizzling and cold.. I was hoping it won't rain during the race..

(To be con't)

Race Day

Second half ironman completed !! It was an amazing race oversea race experience.. Glad i chose Challenge Triathlon.. It did as it promised.. A family friendly race!

Here go for my post race + travelling experience..

Travel:

Travel with a big bike casing. This is my first time and it was quite a hassle.. sort of... Disassemble the bike and pack in all in... WIth a bike box, only a Maxi cab is able to handle e luggage. It was a rented bike box thus it took more time to pack all the stuff into the box.. The good thing is that i can pack all my triathlon gear into that bike box and segregate the rest of the travel stuff..

Checked in baggage in SQ. Expected no problem with the airline and the collection was hassle free too at Taiwan airport. No complain..

Arrival.

Travelling is exciting too with another domestic airport from Taipei to Taitung. I hired a local travelling agent who took care of my bike. They arranged to transport the bike box by road instead of air. We are only able to collect the bike box on e next morning. Check in Taitung hotel and rest for e nite upon arrival dinner.

Check in/ Race eve:

Race expo and check in is at Naruwan hotel abt 450m away from my hotel, Naruwan inn. Collected e bike box after asking around e staff. Know how to communicate in mandarin in tw is definitely make your way much more easier!

There are plenty of space at the lobby to assemble your bike. Maybe i was early and there are only a few participants ard too to fix their bike too.. As usual, all the dam satki bicycles appearing all around me... Fixed up my bike and request the race mechanic to help me with some minor adjustment.. Unlike metamen, it was free servicing (exclude part of coz)

Due to the travelling agent arrangment, i manage to know some Sg guys there too. They are not e first timers to race there thus they know the way around. I was lucky to tag along with them for a bike test ride after the race expo.. Glad to have the bike is all ok.

As it is my first race here, I was advised to atttend the briefing by the travel agent. As it is not my first IM race, i know wat to expect... except most of the participants are very interested in one particular qn: WIll it be a wetsuit swim?

Sound of disappointment was heard when organizer declared as non-wetsuit.. A wetsuit swim is a must only when the water drop below 24.5 degC... Organizer shall confirm again just before 30min the race start. I hope it is not a wetsuit as i 'm not seasoned with mine yet... But i did not realise what am i missing out until the race day...(shall explain later)

Done with the briefing and lunch with the local tri group i just knew and my family..

The biggest issue for this race is that the distance between starting point/TA and the hotel is not near to each other.. Lucky i got the travel agent, they have bus to drive us around. After TA bag preparation, i decided to tag along the group who prefer to cycle from hotel to TA to check in bike. I was lucky to have experienced Sg ppl to tag along so i know my way around.

Cycling from hotel to TA is straight forward if you know the way.. It was just abt 5km cycling and traffic is consider light.

The layout of the TA bag is considered less pro than Metaman past year.. All the TA bag are lie on the floor... instead of hanging onto some support.. Perhaps they don't expect rain but the weather is very cloudy and cold ( to me)... It was drizzling during the night but all the TA bag remained dry on the race day itself..

Alot of fancy and expensive bikes along the TA... The event TA is split into 113km (half iron) and 515 (standard distance). Both TA are at the different area.

The taitung lake for the swim is very long when i see from the starting point... It was making me nervous about the sight of it....

Preparation and check in of bike.. Our travel agent bus us back to the hotel for carbo loading dinner...

Carbo loading

Food is considered good and enough varieties. Compared to the metamen post race dinner, challenge carbo loading is much more better! There are fruits, ice cream, meat and veg etc... with free flow beverages... It was a good meal and you can fill up your stomach enough for the race day.

After nice dinner, my family and i strolled back slowly back to our hotel from the offical hotel.. It was drizzling and cold.. I was hoping it won't rain during the race..

(To be con't)

Race Day

Nice reading the first half of the race report. Looking forward to the part on race proper & post-race review. :goodjob:

An observation on terminology... You may not want to use 'half ironman or ironman' as a blanket term to describe the race distance.

'Ironman' is technically a brand sanction by World Triathlon Corporation (WTC). Challenge Family is another major player in the industry.

For this Challenge Taiwan race, it may be more appropriate to describe it as 'half iron distance race' or 'long course triathlon'... :rock:

Nice reading the first half of the race report. Looking forward to the part on race proper & post-race review. :goodjob:

An observation on terminology... You may not want to use 'half ironman or ironman' as a blanket term to describe the race distance.

'Ironman' is technically a brand sanction by World Triathlon Corporation (WTC). Challenge Family is another major player in the industry.

For this Challenge Taiwan race, it may be more appropriate to describe it as 'half iron distance race' or 'long course triathlon'... :rock:

ok for your reading pleasure.. I shall follow challenge family standard: 113k /226k / 51.5k coz. Coz long distance eventually refer IM distance

ok for your reading pleasure.. I shall follow challenge family standard: 113k /226k / 51.5k coz. Coz long distance eventually refer IM distance

Hey Dell, hope you don't get me wrong.. I was just sharing about a common misconception in triathlon... :shiftyninja:

Looking forward to the 2nd part of your race report...

Race day!!!

Wake up early to sort myself up. Trying to stick the tempo body tattoo sticker but the quality is more lousy... it was harder to stick than usual. Apply method: You wet it and leave it for a few minute and it stick!

Travel agent arrange a bus from our hotel to the TA.. and off we go.. Sunrise is earlier than Sg and it was a cloudy weather at start..

TA:

Arranged and went for a toilet break.. There are 2 changing tents separately for male and female athletes. Top up my bike bottle and gel pack onto my bike and last bike check.. It was informed that it shall b declared as non-wet suit swim... Wearing of wetsuit is still allow but organizer shall take note and consider athletes who wear is not valid for podium finish.

Went for a warm up swim and the water is SO dam cold !! It was measured by organiser to be 26degC but it was so cold for me.. The staircase to the lake is very very slippery due to algae... A guard was there just to keep telling ppl very slippery and pls be careful.... I know the swim is going to be tough for me due e the temperature.. it was just cold.... and it was a deep water start...

Start: SWIM:

My first deep water start.. I felt like i was in a bucket of ice water... Luckily i was at the last batch of ppl who enter the water... Race started while i struggling e temp of the water... I decided to save my energy and go slowly than usual... Started my freestyle as light as posssible to reserve my energy...

As expected, i was not experienced in such cold water.. i was starting to struggle at the midpoint toward the U-turn buoy... Water visibility is not as good as bintan but it is still better than singapore beach.. As i swim, i also noticed that all the swimmers have spread open over the whole lake... some swim toward the edge of the lake, some swim toward the guiding rope... I was in the open and trying to find someone to draft... but i can't...

Swimming in this lake was much more difficult than i expected even there is no wave..... but the temperature is making me struggling... I have to do frog style during the U-turn bouy to take a breather and sighting... even sighting feel tiring during this swim.... I was considering to frog after the U-turn but i converted back to free to save my leg energy.... I swam toward the edge of left side of the lake as i;m a right side breather.... i just swim and used the lake edge to guide me through... it was tiring !!!

I was struggling and it felt i was swimming more than 1.9km... I'm just wish to finish this swim as fast as possible but i'm just too fatigue to swim any faster...

Struggling until i finally see the ramp up and the end of the lake... I was assisted by a volunteer up to the shore as he realized i'm exhausted from the swim.... I'm not prepared for such a water temperature and expected i was much slower than my usual 1.9km timing..

T1:

I'm vowed that this is the longest T1 run down since i do triathlon !! It was a long long way from swim exit to T1 entrance... I estimated it was abt 200m run!! After a lousy swim, i go slow jog toward the T1.... Took my T1 bag and change along the pavement.... Then i realised there is sunlight... now i hope the weather will not be too hot... on the other hand, heat from the sun make me feel recover from the cold and i starting to be my body warming up.... Threw my t1 bag to the collection point and off to my bike !

BIKE:

Bike coz is totally different from bintan.... It is totally awesome !! THe bike coz is meant for just 1 thing ! Nothing but Aero! Bike coz is a to and back with a U-turn at the some uphill... Outgoing route and you will face with nothing but head wind and straight road.. (slight gradient but nothing compared to metamen bike coz)..

I was enjoying the aero.... The stronger the head wind,,, e better you can feel the effect in your aero position.... It was windy... It was fast! and It was scenic !

The momentum of the bike coz is small town --> Expressway --> Small town --> Expressway... etc... U-turn @ uphill then return via same route..

The aid station is good but no gel unlike Meta bintan.. But cyclists might have to slow down and open your eye while you passsing the small town... There is no closure of road which mean you may have to give way to car and pedestrians... I have to slow down a few times to give way for lorries and cars...

Uphill at the U-turn is considerable ok for me... If you think outgoing is fast, ingoing route will b lighting! With the tail wind pushing you from back.... You can really zoom even without hard cycling!

At one time, i was going to a speed which i think i'm able to pedal up to without tail wind... It was the most enjoyable aero ride so far with my bike without any big worry on traffic light or x -junction... I don't think i dare to go all out like i did for this race in Sg road..

The bike coz is just amazing ! and i don't even feel that it is a 90km ride when i approaching the T2.... This is the fastest bike split i achieve...

T2:

There is sun but weather is considered cooling.. I also realised i did not really sweat alot during the bike coz.. Change to my running gear and off i go.. I still feel i got enough energy within me which is a good sign...

RUN:

Here come another problem... i think i have drink too much during the bike coz due to habit.... In the end, my stomach is feeling too much water... seldom happen that if i race in our tropical weather..

My running pace did not start off strong as i expected.... The running route is very scenic.. Ran past the cold lake which we swam in the morning... It was a nice big park... I thought since i can't run fast, i might as well enjoy the running slowly and enjoy the view...

I change my watch from stopwatch mode to normal mode to prevent pressure myself...

The whole running route bring u into the big taitung park then turn to the local "kampong" style housing... Not too bad... Then you will run along a old retired rail way along the wooden walk path.. The wooden walk path is a very nice terrain to run... The view is just refreshing and there are farm / agriculture along the way.. It might be a dull view for the local but not for us living in Sg.. It is a refreshing view... There is sunlight but the humid and heat is nothing compared to Sg. Ppl who did IM703 PJ will find the weather here a heaven!

The best part of the running route start abt 12km.. It was a motobike path along the agriculture land with big mountain as background... Non-stop breeze was blowing as you running along this route... It was such amazing.. Too bad there isn't official photographer or else the shot will be very nice...

After the big mountain route, you will run back to the same route toward the fnish line !

The finisher chute is very family friendly.. They encourage particpants to cross e finish line togt with supporters.. I was hopiing to do it with my daughter but i can't find them at the side of the finish line.. Later i found out from wife that he was hungrry and having her lunch inside the finisher party...

I passed the finisher line and that 1 more IM703 medal was there for me !

This concluded my second 113k (half iron dist) rance !

Post RACE:

The race is very well organised and the bike coz is superb... If you wan to have nothing but aero... this is the race you want to consider... Based on some talking with participants, challenge do provide a bettter race quality than WTC IM race.. I also sensed they are more focus on family supporters etc... Finisher area is very open and supporter can take food and drink etc... No qn ask...

But learn from my experience, prepare for a cold water (cold for me ) swim... It may be a wetsuit swim subjected to water temperature.. so better prep a wetsuit if you wan to go for this race...

Compared the race pack and race support, i think metamen still win a thumb up.. They provide better race pack... better quality merchandise etc.. (except carbo loading)

Will i do this race again ??? Yes but not in this coming years... coz i want to try races around asia region..

Hope i'm provide enough info for ppl who considering this race... Last advise is try to arrange a local travel agent to assist you on the logistic... THe main issue for this race is that hotel, TA and finisher area are 3 separate area and they are not side by side and require transport..

It was considered rush for me after the race becoz you need to tpt back to TA to collect bike from finisher area then back to hotel. Then you need to disassemble the bike and put in the bike box becoz there is a cut off timing (7pm) to deposit your bike box for domestic flight out from Taitung to taipei...

It was not a pleasant post race experience if you ask me... It was another "race" after your main race..

Hope it is a nice read for your guys!

Hey Dell, hope you don't get me wrong.. I was just sharing about a common misconception in triathlon... :shiftyninja:

Looking forward to the 2nd part of your race report...

Np...

Nice detailed race report from Dell. :thumbsu:

For me, I particularly enjoyed the aid stations & volunteers during the run leg.

Aid stations were well stocked with various nutrition & unlimited ice cold sponges.

Volunteers were energetic & friendly.

The only disappointment was that the organiser ran out of finisher tee for slower athletes like me...

Nice detailed race report from Dell. :thumbsu:

For me, I particularly enjoyed the aid stations & volunteers during the run leg.

Aid stations were well stocked with various nutrition & unlimited ice cold sponges.

Volunteers were energetic & friendly.

The only disappointment was that the organiser ran out of finisher tee for slower athletes like me...

Oh yes.. i forgot about the icy cold sponges in the running aid station...

I was disappointment that you did not get your finisher tee... THe problem is that volunteer never really marked the name list upon collection... which mean i can have a chance to do double collection if i wan to...

anyway the finisher medal and tee design is not that fantastic... Metamen finisher design win thumb up!

bro dd314, awesome write-up!

Thank you for sharing!

Worth a visit if u wish to integrate a family trip to Tw... Based on some local ppl i met told me kenting IM race is not as great...