Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

delldell314

vibram five fingers

It was such a hit among runners at one time... Online info claimed it is the new gen of runnning shoe which make u run faster and longer..

But after a while, news claim that it was all b$$s$$$ and the company got involved with a law suit... now i hardly see or hear ppl talk about it..

I was even tempt to get a pair but the price is so exp and the sole is SO thin.. which my wife nickname as gorilla shoe..

So may i ask is anyone still using them to run short/long distance ??

i don't see many use it for trail running vs. 3 years ago, i think only 1 or 2 which I spotted during TNF race a few weeks back.

Think it may put those with PF problems at risk.

5-fingers is not designed to be used on concrete floors like we have in SG but its perfectly ok to use it on softer grounds like the treadmills, beach or trails....Which is why, till date, I have nvr seen an advert promoting 5-fingers being used on hard solid ground...Although some swear by it that it actually helps them in one way or another, but i still chose to believe in my ortho and my physio who took care of me through my ACL surgery recovery period.

I wouldn't said it good or bad. I started Vibram to explore another dimension of running. Started with barefoot running but couldn't bear the blisters so Vibram is next alternative. Transition to Vibram took me 9 months & built up my run to 20km. However, I had a shin split injury at a 5 km run and hence Vibram was never use for long distance run.

Agree vibrams are not for our city routes (concrete floor as I always run on), too much pressure on the shin, calf and achilles.

Neverthless, Vibram successfully transformed my heel striking to mid-fore foot striking. I am now a more efficient runner. Heart rate is slower, speed is faster & run is much more enjoyable.

Though I no longer use Vibram for LSD, I practise it with short run once awhile to correct or remind my body form to run proper mid-fore foot strike.

Now I am using neutral shoe as Vibram heel drop is too low.

Vibram gave a fun & invaluable run experience.

Vibram users may want to take note... The claim is against advertising footwear which could reduce foot injuries and strengthen foot muscle without any solid evidence..

Not sure if it is really true or other a plot from other conventional shoe makers to shoot vibram down... But vibram did not want to fight back but wish to have a settlement instead...

http://www.runnersworld.com/minimalist-shoes/more-than-150000-claims-filed-in-vibram-class-action-suit

Seriously, which runner do not have any injuries at any point during his or her running journey? They were suited because they claim what they can't prove. Anyway, I have ran Sundown and 2XU Marathon, and TNF 50K in VFF, it is tougher but manageable.

i run in vibrams all the time. did 15 marathons over the last 4 years to date with vibrams already and I am currently using the Vibram Seeya.

There is a lot of misperceptions about vibrams being only for short distance or only for soft grounds but from my personal experience, i have

ran in vibrams in many different conditions. I wore it for the inaugural Bromo marathon as well as tokyo marathon last year..so whether it was in trail

or in city roads, the vibrams had served me well. I think the key thing about running properly is your running form. if you work on your running form,

you should have minimal impact when your feet land on the ground.. i have seen quite a few barefoot runners along ECP who are almost silent when they run. That way, you do not need cushioned shoes and would rather go barefoot or in vibrams cos you prefer the feel of the ground and you prefer to run

unhampered by heavy shoes with thick cushions.. i wear vibrams cos i dun like dirty soles after running barefoot haha

I am lucky to have been able to get myself tested at the NTU Sports Biomechanics Lab as well as a gait assessment by a trained natural running sports scientist. In both instances, it was shown that my forefoot running had much less impact (measured in the lab) than typical heel running and that my running form in vibrams was good. These were hard proof that convinced me that running barefoot or in vibrams is the way to go.

btw if you google lawsuits shoe reebok or skechers etc.... you will find that shoe companies get sued all the time for their marketing claims haha.

Yes, the legal case against vibrate is a 'class action suit', that they don't have a structured research to back up their claim. I think these shoes are great for runs, but need time to build muscles as others suggest above.

I had knee strain 10 years back with just a 6km run and it subsided when I switched to VFF. It takes at least 9 months to strengthen your muscles and joints, about 10-20 % progress weekly from about a 1km run. I use VFF treksport on roads (up to 20k), but my long runs are on trail - up to 30k on VFF Spyridon. Longer runs, I use NB Minimus MT10 and Merrell trail glove (50k). Since switching to minimalist shoes, I've been able to do a HM, rest a few hours and do another HM, all without any knee/ankle pains.