Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teckhooi

North East Compressport Run 2015

I never saw any indication that we need to print confirmation slip for baggage collection. Don't understand the rationale of needing it either, when we still have to pay $1 for the service. If die die need then I will just run with my bag.

Will also prepare my own isotonic drinks and food coz no indication that they will be provided. Just be self sufficient in case you need them.

See you guys tomorrow.

I'm amazed to read from Facebook that despite the race being 2 days away, more than 130 runners have yet to collect their race pack. Considering the relatively small size of this event the percentage is quite big. Even more amazed that organiser still accommodating runners for collecting of race pack.

I think they just spoilt the market for the big boys. If this was a Pink Apple or HiVelocity event, I doubt they will be so accommodating. And they will probably tell u to fly kite. If u dun collect yr business. Or perhaps make you go to some ultra ulu location to collect from their office or something. And probably only during office hours (excluding lunch hour)

I'm also amazed that a whole 1.5 litre of water is being given out at the finishing line. I bet you there will be some who will complain about this as well. So much lah. Waste water lah. So heavy lah etc. Brace yourself > Its coming.

But on a more serious note, do be aware for causes of hyponatremia or over-hydration as it can be a more serious medical issue than dehydration. In fact I remember reading somewhere that this is the most serious problem in all races. So Joe might want to brief yr medical support staff to look out for this too.

Good luck all! Have a great race! Stay safe and have fun!!

it's call water intoxication, a condition that water is too much compare to salt level. Typically associated with 3 groups of people, babies, soldiers and extreme sports(which includes long distant runners)

Basically we loses salt through tears, urine and sweat. We gain them from food. So usually only those 3 group of people are affected. Babies cry and due to their size, is easily affected. For soldiers who required to march for long hours and extreme sports players, while they do have enough water, they don't have salt. The easiest and most effective way is to drink isotonic drinks, which contain salt. That's why usually drink station have both water and isotonic drinks. Likewise soldiers are given sacates of powdered isotonic for adding to water.

Water intoxication is a serious problem, and it can be fatal. So I really do hope Joe has that covered

I never saw any indication that we need to print confirmation slip for baggage collection. Don't understand the rationale of needing it either, when we still have to pay $1 for the service. If die die need then I will just run with my bag.

Will also prepare my own isotonic drinks and food coz no indication that they will be provided. Just be self sufficient in case you need them.

See you guys tomorrow.

now got to change to a smaller bag just for this... :cray::cray:

Only a few more hours before the race begins.

Joe must be very busy so cant expect him to reply anymore for the time being.

He has already done a much better job in communicating with us than most other race orgganisers. :thumbsu:

One more sleep to run....

Load for the last time but don't overload it , hydrate well, sleep early tonight...

Good night !

Yup. Take care of your self also Joe. Catch some sleep also as tomorrow once the sun come up, u will start seeing stars also if u did not rest enough.

Joe, a last minute question, will isotonic drinks or banana be provided? If yes, may i know what brand of isotonic drinks and at which points it will be provided? This is so we can adjust our run/refuel strategy accordingly for 21km.... I am not suggesting you get them now if it won't be provided due to whatever reasons, just want to manage own expectations.... Thanks

Ok then I bring Pocari sweat salt Liao

I think he has load up a lot of water and maybe reli doesn't have isotonic drink....

I didn't sign up for this run, but just out of curiosity, I looked at their list of sponsors, and the Official Hydration brand is "Sqwincher". And if you google that brand, their website homepage says "Professional Grade Hydration", and it gives "bodies the electrolytes they need to stay hydrated". So my guess is, some form of isotonic should be available somewhere on the route and/or at the end point.

I hadn't heard of this brand before, but I remember Lonewolf's horror story from last year's Marina Run, & their hydration brand that many hadn't tried before.... Hence, whether Sqwincher's product will suit your tastebuds/ body, and if you need to carry your own isotonics, is something you guys will have to decide for yourselves.

All the best for the run!

Sorry All.

I am just done with the preparation.

Isotonic is Sqwincher.

GU Energy gel is only provided for 21km on 2nd loop.

Banana is provided at the end when you collect finisher medal and 1.5litre of water.

Baggage is charged at $1. I am truly sorry. As I had explained, my budget is low. But I wish to Make the run affordable yet trying to do my best to do the best for runners. I had to weigh. It is either bus or baggage. I chosen baggage as it should cost lesser to help me get some income source. I am sorry that we need that way.

I am really tired. But will be flag off together with Mayor Teo Ser Luck for 21km. Hopefully I got the chance to smile. Haha.

Jiayou runners. All the best and hope you all will at least give my team a pass after this event.

I will not be missing after this race. I promise. I will be back to read the review/complains or gather negative feedbacks. I admit nothing is perfect. But facing several hiccups along the way, somehow it has really frightened me.

Planning a run is no. As easy as a swim event which I am specialize in. Thus, it really take alot of courage for me to step up in this role to accept the appointment and do the job.

Once again, I sincerely thanks all for your support and constant feedback and sharing.

See you soon. Thanks.

Regards

Joseph

Organizing Chairman

Hmm.

Sqwincher does not have purple nightmare. At least for our event. Is all lemon-lime flavor and orange.

As this year is SG50, difficult for me get other drinks. We tried And failed.

All our 7 points, 6 check points have isotonic. Only 1 is mineral water only.

So I assure I have deploy alot but please.. As lonewolf mentioned before. Do not over hydrate. Reason we put more. Is for you to judge when you want to drink.

Also for new runners to get to hydrate more if necessary.

Also. Like I mentioned, I am very very caution with safety and hydration. I supposed if I am right. We may be the first event to apply cyclist medic, buggy medic and ambulance together with station medic.

Can termed me kiasu, termed me kiasi. But I do not want to take any participants'life at risk.

I really hope all runners enjoy later.

If any runners keen to take photo together with us. Please. Do a shoutout with our emcee. We will be glad to take photo together.

Regards

Joseph

Organizing Chairman

Some quick sharing:

Flag off time, 0630hrs for 21km, 0730hrs for 10.5km, 0800hrs for 5km, 0930hrs for 500m Parent-Child run.

There are total 7 hydration check points. Of which, 6 hydration has isotonic drinks, 1 is only Mineral water. Our isotonic drink is proudly sponsored and supported by Sqwincher.

There will be road marshall at almost all junctions and bridges to guide runners where to run although we have signages as well.

We only have lead cyclists for 21km and 10.5km as they are competitive event.

For 21km, we have pacers arranged for some runners who are keen to keep track on timing, etc.

Our medics is covered by AMS, who will provide Buggies, cyclist, station medic alongside with ambulance at few check points.

*For 21km runners, you can expected a while stock last (1200 energy gel) sponsored by GU Energy Gel. Total 21km runners about 1000 participants.

At the end of the run, please kindly patiently queue to receive your unique second piece of Finisher medal. Also a 1.5litre of mineral water sponsored by Prime Supermart, and Banana.

Estimated at about 1000hrs, we are expecting our GOH to give a welcome speech to our runners.

Around 1015-1030hrs, we would like to invite our runners to join us to form a huge water droplet and take an aerial picture. (any attire is fine!) join us!!

After the picture, we will give out the prizes to Top 3 runners for all 6 competitive categories.

We have done our best, and are still on our regular runs of check till now at 0220hrs. We just hope our participants/community enjoy the event.

Please forgive us if you see a few zombies around later.

We see you at the start!

Please do not expect a world class event or setup. I have to do a disclaimer. We only a community event with very limited budget to do. This is really the best my team can do.

Really glad to hear positive encouragement from runners. But please do not give us too high expectations. I am sure many "can do better" are still there.

I am also learning.

;)

Regards

Joseph

Organizing Chairman

It sounds like a professionally organiser event already. Good luck to all runners and the organisers. Even with the best preparation, still need luck. This is life. Most important is have fun and enjoy the journey!

It sounds like a professionally organiser event already. Good luck to all runners and the organisers. Even with the best preparation, still need luck. This is life. Most important is have fun and enjoy the journey!

Hi Wonderfulblevic

I dare not say is professional. I can only say is with heart and soul. We are still checking through everything and trying to ensure everything in order for last before 5am.

My team has been very hardworking especially the last day!

I just hope they can be recognized for their effort and their hardwork.

:)

I may not be a good chairman or organizer but certainly this team is really a wonderful team I have for me to work with.

Regards

Joseph

Organizing Chairman

Just completed my 21km, we are blessed with a wonderful organiser and great weather....great scenery and the last part was....wow heheh

Got Pb for it...

Thanks God for nice weather , nice scenery, huge bottled water .. I only take a sip of the isotonic drink after I stick to water ...many gels in the table, I didn't take cos I prepared myself..

Frankly speaking , after 12km, I started to get bored liao ...just push myself to the end ....

Oh, during the first start 100m, there was a girl stopped in the middle to tie shoelaces. omg, many runners almost knocked into her... I meant if u wanna tie shoelaces, move to the side , can ... still dark during that time ...

But overall , good run.....

I am rushing to another appointment. But I am giving Joe and all his volunteers an 'A'. Excellent job. Lots of water points with isotonic. End point I had a cup of water with ice cube. Wah.......2 thumbs up for that!!

Ran the 10.5km just now.

I find this was a brilliant race. Ample hydration (I stuck with water), clear directions and lots of volunteers along the way. Furthermore, we were blessed with pleasant weather, If there's anything I'm forced to pick on, it would be the inaccurate distance (9.9km on my Garmin, anyone else has GPS data?) and the relatively longer queue for the toilets (nearly 15mins at 710).

Other than that, great job Joe and please have a restful break after this event is settled :)

I heard from the pacers that for 21km, it is 19.8kk

I find the distance a bit short also. Anyone can confirm? If really 21K, then confirm I PB already .... at jogging speed some more :goodjob:

I used mapmyrun app. 20.10km.

Heard the 2h pacer group commenting about the inaccurate distance markers as well.

But still, organisation wise, everything was good!

No bottlenecks or clash with 10km runners. At least from my experience. :)