Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teckhooi

North East Compressport Run 2015

Some of the comments on here about the race t shirts completely beggar belief. This is one of the cheapest races in Singapore, is a community event and the organiser is clearly making every effort to be as clear and transparent with runners as well as responding to feedback where they can. Some of the larger race organizers could learn a few things.

If you do not like the t shirt you ordered, don't wear it. Give it away to charity to someone who will be grateful to have it. And go and buy your own t shirt from a shop of your choosing.

Welcome to Singapore, Ben! You are absolutely right but Singaporeans & other residents here are a tough bunch to please or satisfy be it races or food or whatever.

Some of the comments on here about the race t shirts completely beggar belief. This is one of the cheapest races in Singapore, is a community event and the organiser is clearly making every effort to be as clear and transparent with runners as well as responding to feedback where they can. Some of the larger race organizers could learn a few things.

If you do not like the t shirt you ordered, don't wear it. Give it away to charity to someone who will be grateful to have it. And go and buy your own t shirt from a shop of your choosing.

orly? hmm i "beg" to differ. i know my rights damn well.

if the organiser cant even break even from such a race, they probably need better fund management, perhaps have a chartered accountant for help.

if they are having difficulties in things like sudden change of race pack collection timing, they better man up to the community centre and stop saying is a last minute change that they cant help it. It took 3 hours for a return journey to sengkang from some parts of singapore, do you expect someone to spend 6 hours to collect the race pack?

and if they have check the t shirt, they should have know the problem instead of based on feed back from runners. and go to the supplier and f*** the hell out of them, stop giving excuses. seriously if the event organiser cant do anything about anything, why are they organising?

they are race at $30, $40, $50, $100 whatever, the thing is, runners didnt set the pricing, the organiser did, so stop complaining you are running a deficit. things like poorer t shirt quality, thats what we can tolerate because thats on a budget, but wrong t shirt size? thats not something u have promised us. tell us to go down to sengkang and cant collect the race pack, thats not what u promised as well. whatever u promised, please do it. because the thing we gave u is simple, u want us to pay the damn fee, we pay it with hard, cold money. so now we fulfilled our job, u do you damn job right.

I think Joe is doing a great job engaging us and taking our feedback seriously. Runners appreciate organisers like that....a few hiccups are bound to happen, but keep your chin up. What doesn't break you, will make you a better person, so don't let anything break u ?. On a race day, maybe u can do a shoutout to intro yourself so we can wave and say hi to u....cheers

Welcome to Singapore, Ben! You are absolutely right but Singaporeans & other residents here are a tough bunch to please or satisfy be it races or food or whatever.

Eh....not every singaporean like that leh..... I will only kpkb on only 2 things, lack of hydration and lack of safety....

I don't care much about the singlet, race route clash and all that. What I'm most bothered about is the wrong mascot came down during RPC. As stated by Joseph it was Water Willy. Water Willy ???
It should be Water Wally. 'Willy' has some other meaning .... if you know what I mean :thumbsu:

Those who dun get the joke, type "definition of willy" on Google search. LoL

For those who met Water Willy, The PUB Mascot, I hope you enjoyed and manage to snap some nice picture too.

Thank you.

Regards

Joseph

Organizing Chairman

North East Compressport Run

Vice Chairman for Punggol North Community Sports Club

Dear ibelieveindevil,

Hello hello, I know you and including everyone here are free to have your views but No organzier is 100 percent perfect ! Joe and team are clearly trying their best to make thing work.... And if no feedbacks from us, how they going to know or improve ?? Dont tell me you do not need feedback to improve yourself in life .... And you think organzing one event is easy ah ? You do lah....

If you are unhappy with event tee thingy, then dont wear it or unhappy with everything , better still - - dont even run on sunday .... oh U may spend expensive cab fare to and from the runnning venue then you complain again

To Joe, you done well ....I am excited for this coming Sunday !!!

Frankly, this being a running forum, one can expect forumers to be more critical, especially on races, setting very high benchmarks. Afterall, we are pampered with some very well-organised races, be it pre-race, actual race to post-race. So, even if a budget race comes along, we still set a minimum standard and expectations.

While I agree Joe is trying his best, my worry is that he is likely not a running enthusiast, like many here, hence he may not have all bases covered or done sufficient scenario planning. The way I look at it, he is just "appointed" as committee chairman for this event, he is definitely not a veteran like many forumers here. While some here are providing inputs, much still remains to be seen on actual day, especially on congestion at starting point and other bottleneck points, merging of 10/21km runners, waterpoints, proper signages, medal collection, baggage deposit/collection, wet weather contingencies, etc.

I don't care much about the singlet, race route clash and all that. What I'm most bothered about is the wrong mascot came down during RPC. As stated by Joseph it was Water Willy. Water Willy ???

It should be Water Wally. 'Willy' has some other meaning .... if you know what I mean :thumbsu:

Those who dun get the joke, type "definition of willy" on Google search. LoL

For those who met Water Willy, The PUB Mascot, I hope you enjoyed and manage to snap some nice picture too.

Thank you.

Regards

Joseph

Organizing Chairman

North East Compressport Run

Vice Chairman for Punggol North Community Sports Club

Haha... you're really funny. I didnt notice the mistake. Anyway, from the way Joe typed his message here, I guess language is not his strength so give him some leeway lah..

Dear Runners,

I am very much relieved that most of you have understood and satisfied with our arrangement so far.

I agree with some, I am not a veteran runner. However, I do run as well but not as well as all of you. But I am very willing to listen and collect feedbacks.

I am appointed as Organizing Chairman, I believed is for me to learn and gain experienced. However, please forgive me and my team if you had any bad experience.

I have been working really hard with my team to try our best.

As for the run route, we have tried to do our best as well. We did some checks with other event organizers who done at waterway too and gather feedbacks.

Safety and hydration is never compromised. Personally, I am not a top runner but I enjoy the hydration points during run. Haha. I have ensured that water is sufficient. With 1000 cartons of water, we are deploying 55 cartons of water (each carton contains 12 bottles of 1.5litre of water) at each check point. The whole event estimated tO have 3000 participants. I am certain that water is enough for all.

Safety wise, to share with all, we have 4 ambulance deployed by sectors, we have buggies on standby and several medic on standby. An estimated of close to 50 medic and first aiders are deployed around the waterpoint.

We truly sincere in organize the event for community. Reason we shared on deficit, is not to try to avoid or push blame. Rather my objectives was to be transparent. Why should I make the event high cost and make all runners upset over high cost event? When myself got disappointed when fee is high. I am trying my best to make all happy together with my team while we understand from most, nothing is perfect.

We not looking at perfect but we looking at doing our best.

Myself, I cried for few nights, unable to sleep. I am very touched by your effort to encourage myself and my team. But knowing there is still lots of negative, I am really sad as well.

I really hope for the best in Sunday. Certainly, if anyone has negative or positive feedback, I look forward to waving at all of you. I will be joining together to do the flag off for 21km race. I hope all of you, give my team at road marshall, medic, water point all a smile and I do hope for a thank or pat at the end for my team at finishing point. The whole team really work hard to hope to do our best for the event.

Lastly, I am sincerely sorry.

Regards

Joseph

Organizing Chairman

As for Mascot, so sorry.. Is water wally but I had typed wrongly. Oops.

Regards

Joseph

Organizing Chairman

Wow you catered for 6L of water for each participant. Should be more than enough I guess. Probable risk is more of allocation between stations. I would think first few stations may not need as much water.

Not running this event but good luck to you! Will participate next time if you're still in charge and my transport issues are not so much of a problem. Very refreshing to have a very transparent organiser. Appreciate your very detailed and long posts. Must have been quite an effort.

Dear ibelieveindevil,

Hello hello, I know you and including everyone here are free to have your views but No organzier is 100 percent perfect ! Joe and team are clearly trying their best to make thing work.... And if no feedbacks from us, how they going to know or improve ?? Dont tell me you do not need feedback to improve yourself in life .... And you think organzing one event is easy ah ? You do lah....

If you are unhappy with event tee thingy, then dont wear it or unhappy with everything , better still - - dont even run on sunday .... oh U may spend expensive cab fare to and from the runnning venue then you complain again

To Joe, you done well ....I am excited for this coming Sunday !!!

Wao, I find it so fascinating about ur ability to comprehend and twist my words as well as judging me based on anything but facts.

now read carefully instead of being just plain ignorant. Why I complaint? Precisely as you say, to make this race better. No complaint equal no improvement. I also need all sorts of feedback. What is different from me and u is that I learn and I rectify the problem. U may learn n become better in future but that maybe too late. The race is still a full week and ans there are still tons of things possible to be done. Saying that next year gonna be better simply is sayingscrew u to current year participants.

And read my post again, I say clearly there are things I can accept and there are things I cannot, because that's what they promised. Poorer quality I can accept, but not wrong size. Early start is what they promised, so taking a cab there isn't an issue. so get ur damn facts right before putting words in my mouth.

7 days, u think u can't do anything about it? That's really a shame

No race organization is perfect and even so for a team who is organizing it for the first time. Some hiccups may probably be deemed unpardonable, especially to those badly affected, but rather than throwing harsh criticism, maybe it is more constructive to suggest possible solutions to minimize the damage done instead?

T-shirt issue

Did Joe and team know about the sizing error in the first place, and can't change due to time constrains? If they honestly don't know about it and there are a lot of shirts with sizing issues, can they take it to the manufacturer and ask for a reprint of affected shirts post race? If they knew, then I think it is fair that they offer exchanges for those who want to it post race. If it is too costly to print a new batch, perhaps they could do a shout out and ask for a favour to those who want to donate their event singlets so that they can have a batch of shirts for exchange?

Change in race pack collection time

If the venue has been booked beforehand, why is there another event that can compromise the use of the venue? The race pack collection doesn't seem to hold a large area, is there no other places to hold the collection point for 2 hours from 6 to 8pm? Assuming no other alternatives, and to help those people who miss the shout out for the change, reach the venue only to realise they could not collect the race pack, could there be a team member present to take down names and contact info of those affected, and courier them the race pack instead?

These are definitely not the best solutions but probably just some thoughts about how to reduce the unpleasantness due to the hiccups. At the same time, I think we could be gracious enough extend some forgiveness to Joe and his team even if we are badly affected by the hiccups. They have already showed that they have tried their very best to run the event to the best they could.

Having said that, a 2nd shout out to anyone who is still keen to run the race to please PM me.

Actually what's the tee sizing issue ah ?

1 inch smaller is it ?

Can we just get over it ?

It's a tee smaller by 1 inch, not other thing smaller by inch.

I thought Its about the wrong sizing... I think the colour is very bright... And unique... Wear this from far will know is this race tee... Haaa

Anyone want to share cab from Sembawang MRT?

21KM - 6.30am Flag Off

5.30am Meet Up at Sembawang MRT.

Currrently got two pax.

SMS Mi: 96629944

anyway, if it is sunny on Sunday, the sun can be up high as early as 715-730am..... and the route from the start to the 1st u-turn is usually quite glaring, probably on the 2nd round ..... so get ready your whatever prep if you are afraid of the sun... 8)

Its ok, I am fully prepared ( based on Tri Factor last year ) .... can tan while running !

Wahahahahaha

Its ok, I am fully prepared ( based on Tri Factor last year ) .... can tan while running !

Wahahahahaha

its not just the tan but the glare into the eyes.... hahaha......

Feel very gung-ho to run again on Punggol Waterway this Sunday after a long break since 2012 (Waterway PAssion Active Run 2012 on 10th June, 2012 and Marina 21K @ Punggol 2012 on 14th July, 2012) !

yup man ... have to rely on event if the event is held there.... if not , couldn't travel there just to run .....