Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teckhooi

Brooks Marina Run 2015

2015-02-14logo_zps683a3ca0.jpg
Date : 14 February 2015 (Saturday)
Time : 5:30pm (10km) / 7:30pm (21km)
Venue : Gardens by the Bay, Bay East
Race Route : Gardens by the Bay, Bay East & Bay South / Marina Barrage / Tanjong Rhu Promenade (Race route subject to change)

Facebook: Link Here

2015-02-14Fee_zpsd8beccc0.jpg

Race Pack / Goodie Bag Collection

Venue : To be confirmed
Date : 7 & 8 Feb 2015
Time : 11:00 am to 9:00pm

[Comment] Medal Hunters United Alert: Potential ELM Medal race. It was not an enjoyable race for me this yr and the yucky isotonic didn't help. And it wasn't exactly a cheap race either. So not sure if I want to join even for an ELM medal.

I did the inaugural Marina 21K in 2011 (Mizuno Tee apparel) and second edition of Marina 21K@Punggol (got my half marathon PB) in 2012 (Mizuno Singlet apparel). No Marina Run 21K for 2013 and didn't join the Marina Run this year (Newton Tee apparel).

Next Year (Brooks Tee/Singlet apparel :turned: ) <- prefers Tee if possible Finisher Tee !

If the medal is from ELM manufacturer, I will go for it as a hardcore Medal hunter :dribble: provided the participation fees is reasonable and doesn't clash with my other more favorite run !

But heard of this year's colored isotonic drink ??? :sick:

I did the inaugural Marina 21K in 2011 (Mizuno Tee apparel) and second edition of Marina 21K@Punggol (got my half marathon PB) in 2012 (Mizuno Singlet apparel). No Marina Run 21K for 2013 and didn't join the Marina Run this year (Newton Tee apparel).

Next Year (Brooks Tee/Singlet apparel :turned: ) <- prefers Tee if possible Finisher Tee !

If the medal is from ELM manufacturer, I will go for it as a hardcore Medal hunter :dribble: provided the participation fees is reasonable and doesn't clash with my other more favorite run !

But heard of this year's colored isotonic drink ??? :sick:

yup.. weird isotonic drinks and only distributed using cups and refill.. :thumbsd:

This year, was it 2 loops for the 21km ?

So If they going to loop again, not going for it...

Yes it was 2 loops from GBTB East --> Marina Barrage --> GBTB --> back to GBTB East --> Geylang PCN x 2

This was another race that run out of water. And the post-run hydration was also quite bad. IIRC there were no isotonic given after the run. Also overall it was a contender for Worst Race Experience despite the ELM medal.

Oh, the drink indeed sounded really scary! Gotta wait to see who's the drinks sponsor!

In any case, I am not super keen to get another Brooks running singlet, though I like the material of their JLR sleeved Finisher Tee. So if they have a pretty Finisher Tee, that would be a plus.

This year, was it 2 loops for the 21km ?

So If they going to loop again, not going for it...

Yes it was 2 loops from GBTB East --> Marina Barrage --> GBTB --> back to GBTB East --> Geylang PCN x 2

This was another race that run out of water. And the post-run hydration was also quite bad. IIRC there were no isotonic given after the run. Also overall it was a contender for Worst Race Experience despite the ELM medal.

Was running passed the route . already so dull. :nea:

Unless.....they make some changes for the route

I think this year's half marathon route should be identical or 99% same as year 2011's Marina 21K with 2 loops.

One old comment from runner :

AnonymousSunday, July 24, 2011 4:00:00 PM
I have to say that the whole thing was badly organised. We were running on uneven grass patches (very dangerous and can easily cause twisted ankles),alongside traffic and parked cars (some even trying to reverse out of the car park lots) while runners avoided them. There were no clear demarcations on running route and distance markers, such that you are not sure if you are on the right track route or not. There was also alot of unintended cheating going on as runners took short-cuts especially when they rounded corners. Several times runners have to avoid accidents ie. from running against one another from the opposite side. Routes in which only allowed single file (alongside deep drains)were narrow and dimly lit. They promised fruit, but obviously did not want to cater enough because they ran out fast and those who came back later from the run (say 2 and half hrs later) did not have any. They definitely did not even care for the customer as we (do not forget), gave them our T-shirt sizes when we registered. I will make sure that I spread the word around that the equity shareholders are out to make money only.
Number 1 runner Mok has commented about the safety issue that year !
Singapore Bay Run held later that year used part of the similar route along Marina and Tanjung Rhu has learnt from this lesson and covered part of the grass patches with plywood ...

The date for the race has been released. It will be on 14 Feb 2015 which means its an evening race again like this yr.

All participants will be given a Brooks Marina Run event singlet and Brooks Marina Run finisher T-shirt. Registration will open on 23 Oct 2014

I think its an odd date to choose for a race. Its valentine day and I think only the very committed running couple would sign up; or those with no other better plans; or maybe those hoping to get lucky. Its also one week before CNY, so that may deter some from signing up.

One more thing, the race venue is very inaccessible for those taking public transport. The nearest MRT station is Stadium which is a good 20-25 mins walk to the race site. And then dun forget you will need to walk another 20-25 mins back after the race.

The least the organiser can do is to arrange for shuttle bus to fetch runners to race site but dun hold your breadth.

I remember there was shuttle bus , right ?

Valentine Day wor , those couples want to do something special , can consider . Run already then celebrate ....

Just need more info on the route

I think there was shuttle bus arranged for the 1st edition in 2011. There was definitely no shuttle bus for this yr.

Route usually wun be out till after the early bird... will await the fees and see how...

This yr fee 21K: $50/$58; 10K: $40/$48; 5K:$25/$33. I expect $5 inflation.

I bet that it would be the same route as this yr; which mean 2 x loops of around 10.5K each.