Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teckhooi

Brooks Marina Run 2015

Hmm.. did not notice cos I brought my own handheld bottle and refilled when it is half empty..

Water too much still OK wat.. can still keep if not open..

Too little = everyone will complain. Really devalue their brand. :S

Good week and run for me.

PB last week in Taipei. PB again today for 10km at the Brooks Run.

On the way to my car, a lady approached me to for directions. Surprised that she came from Germany for the run + a few days tour. Its a long way.

She got a good timing despite recovering from fever a few days ago. Congrats to her!

For 10km the route would be just nice.

For 21km, I dread doing a double loop.. And there wasn't isotonic drinks when I needed one..

The elite runners were made to run double loops through narrow paths, sometimes congested with people on the second loop .. I don't it's very nice to keep shouting "keep to your left!". Organizers should take note. What happened to the original 21km route plan? We should at least get a SMS notice to inform us of the changes..please don't expect everyone to check FB/website.

I will at best recommend a 10k entry next year.

Not very pleased with the 21km run organization.

The queue management system at the bag deposit is damn terrible.

1) there is no separation queue between depositing & retrieval. I reach atround 7.30pm to drop my bag and go for the run (I usually like to run after all the waves went off). To my horror the 10kms are all back and queuing for their bags. The whole scene was chaotic. I only managed to drop my barang & started running at 8.15pm and this was only possible after a few of the 21km in the queue decided to take the lead to cut queue. If not I think until 9pm also cannot start to run.

2) the part timers at the bag deposit was complete lost. To my amaze when I deposit my bag, they are cutting the rubber band into halves and use it as string to tie the tag to the bag!? Shouldn't these type of logistics be plan beforehand? The girl even ask me whether need to put the tag onto the bag or not?

Fwah...This race always got that same few issues. Have to wait for AutumnRunner to try again in Year 2016 before deciding whether to join myself in 2017.

Fwah...This race always got that same few issues. Have to wait for AutumnRunner to try again in Year 2016 before deciding whether to join myself in 2017.

wahaha..... i took part in the 10km and didnt do bag deposit.... and brought my own water... so my race itself was still quite ok.... but after hearing and seeing all these issues on the scene for myself..... it was really quite a sad case that some organisers just dun learn.... so have to look at it from as global view and do my blogging.... 2016???? haaaaaaaaaaaaaa

MC mentioned there is a last minute change to the route for reasons unknown. There will be 2 loops instead. Probably contributed to the water shortage problem as the existing stations in the 1st 10km loop would have to support 2x the runners. Not sure if the organizers were able to move relocate the water supplies from the Fort Rd loop in time, probably not.

This is quite a flat route if able to dodge crowds/families at Gardens by the bay (quite dark there) and the narrow path near the stadium. Weather was great and cool. I did not encounter much problem at the baggage station but I can imagine the problem as there are only a few volunteers there and they even have difficulty locating bags.

Official timing is also messed 😂😂. MC was announcing that you'd have to add ~5mins to your finishing time shown on the clock.

These are my comments:

Instead of doing a good job for doing a running event, the organizer is seem more interested to spend money to create a wayang carnival.

Lacking of water, isotonic water (The whole event, I only drank 1 cup of isotonic water), Messy bag deposit.

The running route from Marina bay to East coast park, I think National Park has never approve it at all, if u look carefully at the exit from Marina, it was blocked due to construction. The organizer just put the blame on Chingay...

Under size singlet and finisher tee only XL, .I usually wear size XXL. I have written to them before the rack pack collection, the organizer do not even bother to reply.

In conclusion,my take is the hat is too big for the organizer to wear.

KPI please change the event company, you are making the same mistakes just like the one to run the Ultra Biathlon.

Really demoralized when the emcee announced the route changed to two loops.

It appeared the new route between Marina Bay Golf Range and MCE (Marina Coastal Expressway) was still under construction and not opened for public access.

It looked like a gimmick from the event organizer! An empty "promise" just to escalate the runners' enthusiasm !

The reviews still seems bad this year. My friend gave me a surprise when she sent me a groupon for the 21km Marina Run as X'mas present, luckily I told her about the bad reviews in 2014 and decided not to turn up for the race even though it was a gift.

My Soleus GPS recorded 21.45 km.

After took the "voodoo" Boost isotonic drink at 5 km drink station for the first loop, suffering mild stomach pain until one cup of water was taken at 8 km drink station.

Luckily they served only water at 5 km mark for the second loop.

Overall had a good run with no bottleneck and achieved my below 2 hours goal !

The only problem for me was occasionally battled with the gusty head wind around the course !

This is one of the trinity run (finisher medal, finisher tee and race certificate) so very likely I will join again !

MC mentioned there is a last minute change to the route for reasons unknown. There will be 2 loops instead. Probably contributed to the water shortage problem as the existing stations in the 1st 10km loop would have to support 2x the runners. Not sure if the organizers were able to move relocate the water supplies from the Fort Rd loop in time, probably not.

This is quite a flat route if able to dodge crowds/families at Gardens by the bay (quite dark there) and the narrow path near the stadium. Weather was great and cool. I did not encounter much problem at the baggage station but I can imagine the problem as there are only a few volunteers there and they even have difficulty locating bags.

Official timing is also messed 😂😂. MC was announcing that you'd have to add ~5mins to your finishing time shown on the clock.

Wah... Thanks for this info!

I was thinking to myself that the finishing timing didn't match with my own!

I also didn't know that there was a change in route. The distance markers didn't help as it's mostly showing the first loop distance, only saw a 11km marker...

During the second loop there was this constant fear of me running the wrong route. :/

Completed the 10k race together with my gf. We were in wave 3 (flagged off at about 5.50pm) and crossed the finish line at 7.37.

This was only her second ever 10k, accomplished without much training. Am really proud of her. :)

That aside, BMR15 didn't leave us with a positive impression - see my review on their FB page for more details.

A strong contender for Worst Race and Worst Post-Race Logistics for 2015.

When will the organisers ever learn from their mistakes?

I came to realize that despite all the bad reviews about the run, EPIC ESR will still organize the run next year and there will still be runners signing up:

Why?

- Runners tend to forgive and forget easily. They will want to give the run a "second change" to "redeem themselves".

- New runners to 10km and 21km will tend to sign up for this as this is an evening run, where they do not need to wake up early like the other runs.

- Faster runners are not affected by the poor logistics and hydration issues.

- Quite a few of my other faster running friends also gotten PB due to the cooling evening/night weather, so I guess like activerun bro, they will be back again next year.

Fwah ! Contender for the Worst Race...must be damn bad. Last year was already bad enough.

Guess not only runners are forgetful. Our society as a whole is forgetful.

I came to realize that despite all the bad reviews about the run, EPIC ESR will still organize the run next year and there will still be runners signing up:

Why?

- Runners tend to forgive and forget easily. They will want to give the run a "second change" to "redeem themselves".

- New runners to 10km and 21km will tend to sign up for this as this is an evening run, where they do not need to wake up early like the other runs.

- Faster runners are not affected by the poor logistics and hydration issues.

- Quite a few of my other faster running friends also gotten PB due to the cooling evening/night weather, so I guess like activerun bro, they will be back again next year.

I love to run when the sun is down instead of the sun is rising (the heat is killing...) !

You're right bro beast, I will be backed next year ...

Even though I cursed last year SCMS for the missing gels/banana stations (although it was stated clearly on the FM race route map, may be the Spectrum Worldwide international event organizer forgot to mentioned it was for "illustration" only !), I definitely will join again this year !

wah autumn , you were standing close to me (based on your photos in your review), I am the one on your left wearing blue tee.. =)

Wah... reli ah. ... I looked back at the photo and saw a guy wearing blue singlet. ... standing close to the person waving the flag.. is that u??

I was in front, hesitated whether to join wave 1 or 2 until the marshaller help me made a decision (when they close the yellow barricades).

dgt845.jpg

see the blue tee (not singlet but the MR25 ultra finsher shirt) lol