Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

orionmiz

Standard Chartered Dubai Marathon 2015

Someone had asked me about the review of the Dubai Marathon 2015, so I have decided to make a post of it.

Generally, the route for Dubai marathon is rather flat and straight. After you turn out from Umm Suqeim Road near the iconic Burj Al Arab (the so-called "7-star" hotel), you'll run on a very straight road for about 15km before u-turning back to Burj Al Arab. Once you passed Burj Al Arab and Umm Suqeim Road (that would be more than 30km already), you'll continue with a straight path on the other direction for about another 5.5km, then make a u-turn back to Umm Suqeim Road to the finishing point (a few hundred metres away from the starting point).

16203611648_ff9d1f4703_b.jpg

Just like our Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014, the Standard Chartered Dubai Marathon is also IAAF Road Race Gold labeled, meaning it should meet the requirements stated for the gold label. Some of the people mistaken this gold label to have excellent logistics, which is actually not really an important requirement for the IAAF Road Race Gold...

Running path wise, I would say that the route is very spacious since they closed the whole road for the race (each direction can be about 3 to 4 lanes wide), and there are only around 2500 full marathon runners, so you won't get blocked by other runners easily. The race is rather competitive, and rarely people walk even after the 30km mark.

Anyway, logistics wise, there are mineral water provided (in 330ml bottle form) every 2.5km from 5km to 40km. There are also isotonic drinks provided (in paper cup poured from the cans) every 5km from 10km to 35km.

Do note that there are NO gels and bananas provided in the race from the official refreshment stations (sliced bananas/oranges are only given by unofficial volunteers), so if you are those that get hungry easily, you will have to bring your own gels and foods.

Weather wise, I would say that it can be quite cold early in the morning, and quite sunny and hot in the late morning, since Dubai has a dessert climate. Humidity is around 50% on average. Since you will be experiencing both cold and hot temperature within the same race, I would suggest that you wear something light (just like what you wear for Singapore races), and just bear with the cold in the early morning, if you are planning to take part in Dubai marathon in future.

Added at 11.34pm, 27/01/2015

Entitlements: You will get an event t-shirt for the race. There are also some sponsored goodies (such as Nature Valley bar, carbonated vitamin drink, and fruit juice). After completing the race, you will receive a finisher medal. No finisher tee though.

16373371135_43353c8117_b.jpg

16373269695_750f12a473_b.jpg

16373348735_0e9c88e577_b.jpg

Thanks for the sharing.

The fees much pricier than S'pore SCMS.....so if I want to take part in future, need sponsorship for flight + hotel + race fee :lolu:

The good thing is that it's only 2500 runners, and the route is super spacious! The downside is the refreshment logistics though.

Hmm... Flight wise I managed to get it at $665.90 by Singapore Airlines (return, all-inclusive). Since not many people go to Dubai, the flight can be quite empty (meaning you could have the whole row for you to sleep), especially if you are taking the non-Emirates flight. ;)

Taxi rate is rather similar to Singapore, so you can consider staying at a cheap hotel somewhere, and take the cab down to the race site. Anyway, most public transport will only starts in the afternoon on Friday (which is also the day of the race). Dubai metro starts around 1.30pm on Friday... :startle:

Orionmiz - thanks for the informative review. I'm sure it will be useful for those thinking of taking part in this race in the future.

I think many of the overseas run do not have finisher tee. No issues for me coz I don't wear them nor do I want to sell them.

Thanks for the review Orionmiz. Hope you had a good holiday there too.

Yup. Only in Singapore we are spoilt by having running vest + a finisher tee.

But some of the overseas races like the SC Dubai above give an event tee instead of vest/singlet. I prefer event tee but in singapore vest more common