Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Taipei Standard Chartered Marathon 2015

Glad everyone had a cooling race :thumbsu:

So how's the race experience? Crowded? Logistics?

Might wanna consider next year.

My summary -

1. Registration. Did online asap after applications opened. Only 3000 slots for FM. Heavy traffic but finally managed to register after about 6 tries. Sold out quickly.

2. Race pack collection. Available on 3 days preceding the race. Near 101. Singlet, race chip, information slip + 2 Salonplast - all in an A4 brown envelope. Quick, efficient and no frills.

3. Start point. Near Presidential Palace which is a prominent landmark. Getting there was not a problem.

4. Bag deposit. You need to have an official bag to deposit your stuff. They didn't accept any other bag. Could purchase one on the spot at TWD100 which was about S$4. Good sturdy quality and could be used for subsequent race events in Taiwan (or for shopping).

Deposit into pre-assigned trucks according to bib number. Quick, efficient and no frills.

5. Start. FM and HM started together at 5.30 am. The latter outnumbered the former. The usual pre-race pump up things e.g. warm-up exercises, loud music, execited DJs, VIP's speech - all in Chinese though.

6. Run route. The first 5 km or so was through town and northwards. After that it was across a bridge into the northern part which was mainly through a parkland which was a bit like our East Coast Park but with fewer trees and more open surroundings. The terrain was generally flat except for a few parts where you had to ascent or descend bridges - but nothing too tough or resembling our Sheares Bridge. Generally a pleasant run especially after the FM split from the HM at the 10km mark.

7. Crowd support. Only at sporadic intervals by organized groups. Due to the early hours, the wet weather and the location, no much of spontaneous local crowd support.

8. Hydration etc. Sufficient. A combination of water and energy drinks. Further along the FM route, bananas and biscuits. Wet sponges. Some muscle spray. But no energy gels.

9. Toilets. The portaloos were crowded along the way, probably due to the cold weather and frequent cases of runners over-drinking.

10. Finishing Point. This was at a park in the northern part of the city and different from the starting point. Big towel, finisher's medal, bag, packed food, cap, energy drink and water. Easy to retrieve bag. Free shuttle bus to MRT station. Nothing dramatic and quietly efficient.

11. Results released online the same afternoon!

Overall, I would rate this race at 8/10. Recommended.

Hmm... Only the 42km runners got the finisher cap.

The carnival need to walk to the fun run start/end point area.

It is a very well organised race.

I especially like the usage of the standard bag deposit bag.

I saw a runner carrying the bag today on a Tiger Air flight back to SG.

Is it anyone here?

Looks like many gave it a high point race and recommending to others... I would think everything is pleasant too... Other than me getting late due to the cold weather and I went back to hotel to add more clothes. ... The rest was fine... I am still not back in sg and would write a short one after I am back to sg. ....

I remember it was very cold at the start point and was raining. I wore only 2 layers and almost wanted to give up there and then.

Once I started, as the body warmed up. There was no stopping. I got a PB.

kcslchin, on 10 Feb 2015 - 5:20 PM, said:

Oh rain-man.....I wasn't given any cap after finish line :(

You are so patient ....

Seriously, when you find it, you're juz so happy.

Actually, if you know your estimated finishing times or at 14km mark, only got a few pages to check. At first don't know, scroll and see hundreds of photos :|

Saw this very interesting post...

a girl runner cannot run, pass her bib to a male runner to run...maybe sale.

Some runners find out....informed the organizer, so she was banned one year...so strict.

1.半程馬拉松組號碼布編號14423 李怡屏小姐為女性跑者,經跑友檢舉賽事當天為男性
跑者代跑,依據大會競賽規程判定為代跑違規,進而取消成績並禁賽一年。

2.本會為維護賽會品質及尊重使用者付費原則,請大家務必完成報名資格再來參賽

Saw this very interesting post...

a girl runner cannot run, pass her bib to a male runner to run...maybe sale.

Some runners find out....informed the organizer, so she was banned one year...so strict.

1.半程馬拉松組號碼布編號14423 李怡屏小姐為女性跑者,經跑友檢舉賽事當天為男性

跑者代跑,依據大會競賽規程判定為代跑違規,進而取消成績並禁賽一年。

2.本會為維護賽會品質及尊重使用者付費原則,請大家務必完成報名資格再來參賽

Probably the guy ran so fast that his timing made it to the top 10 women's. When the organzier tried contacting her to award the prize, they realised that it wasn't her, hence the ban.

For casual runners, I don't think the organizers bother so much.