Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Taipei Standard Chartered Marathon 2015

Seems like a lot of people is doing this race for the first time. Here are some info that you might find it useful.

1. "Check-in" refers to race pack collection. Race pack collection is at the open area near building A8/A9/A11 of Shinkong Mitsukoshi (新光三越). The nearest station is Taipei City Hall station on the blue line, or Taipei 101 station on the red line.

2. The start point is at Ketagalan Boulevard, near Presidential Building Office. It's near NTU Hospital Station on the red line, but most likely the train services have not start yet, and there might be no hotels nearby there. If you want to stay near the start point, you can stay somewhere around Taipei Main Staion, or Ximending. It would be about 10-20 mins walk to the start point. Cab isn't expensive, so you can also stay a little further away (which may have cheaper accommodation).

3. The end point is at DaJia Riverside Park. You can take the shuttle bus back to the start point, or walk to Dachi station (you will need to cross the bridge) and take the train back.

4. To deposit your belongings, you would need to buy their baggage/clothes deposit bag (衣保袋), which cost NT$100 (based on 2014 price). You can buy their from the expo, or from the race day itself. They will give you a label for bag deposit (which consist only of your bib number) when you collect your race pack, and you have to place it at the front pouch of the bag (the pouch cover is transparent). After the race, you can use it for something else, like storing your goodies you bought from Taiwan. You can also use the same bag for subsequent CTRRA races.

5. Lastly (not related to race though), if you have book your flight tickets and hotel accommodation, you can go to Taiwan Tourism Bureau at Chevron House (near Raffles Place MRT station, Singapore) and claim your goodies before going to Taiwan. :P

Thanks for sharing. I would not have done #5 if you never mention.

By the way, hotel recommendations near start line? I suppose can walk from hotels around Taipei Main station to start line?

i saw the route for Dubai. Flat course all the way. Its like running from one end of ECP to the other end and then back. Tht completes yr 42km.

http://www.dubaimarathon.org/dublinluas/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Dubai-Marathon-2014-42km.jpg

Except that the climate is different (start with a cold morning, end with a hot afternoon). Still don't know what I should wear for the run though...

Thanks for sharing. I would not have done #5 if you never mention.

By the way, hotel recommendations near start line? I suppose can walk from hotels around Taipei Main station to start line?

Last year I stayed in Caesar Park Hotel (this one can be a bit expensive). This year I'll be staying at Cosmos Hotel (pricing wise still ok, but there should be cheaper one around that area).

I'll usually use websites like Expedia to find hotels around the area, compare the pricing, and also check if it is cheaper to book directly with the hotel.

Seems like a lot of people is doing this race for the first time. Here are some info that you might find it useful.

1. "Check-in" refers to race pack collection. Race pack collection is at the open area near building A8/A9/A11 of Shinkong Mitsukoshi (新光三越). The nearest station is Taipei City Hall station on the blue line, or Taipei 101 station on the red line.

2. The start point is at Ketagalan Boulevard, near Presidential Building Office. It's near NTU Hospital Station on the red line, but most likely the train services have not start yet, and there might be no hotels nearby there. If you want to stay near the start point, you can stay somewhere around Taipei Main Staion, or Ximending. It would be about 10-20 mins walk to the start point. Cab isn't expensive, so you can also stay a little further away (which may have cheaper accommodation).

3. The end point is at DaJia Riverside Park. You can take the shuttle bus back to the start point, or walk to Dachi station (you will need to cross the bridge) and take the train back.

4. To deposit your belongings, you would need to buy their baggage/clothes deposit bag (衣保袋), which cost NT$100 (based on 2014 price). You can buy their from the expo, or from the race day itself. They will give you a label for bag deposit (which consist only of your bib number) when you collect your race pack, and you have to place it at the front pouch of the bag (the pouch cover is transparent). After the race, you can use it for something else, like storing your goodies you bought from Taiwan. You can also use the same bag for subsequent CTRRA races.

5. Lastly (not related to race though), if you have book your flight tickets and hotel accommodation, you can go to Taiwan Tourism Bureau at Chevron House (near Raffles Place MRT station, Singapore) and claim your goodies before going to Taiwan. :P

Thanks for sharing... its reli good infor..... I haven found my lodging nor book the flight tickets.... try to do it this weekend..... #5 is interesting.... I never know there are goodies to collect before we go travel..... any idea what's the goodies???

so the plan is to book somewhere near the start pt... and take the free shuttle service after the race back to the star line area?? would the bus be crowded?? and waiting area should be at the end point right??

Thanks for sharing... its reli good infor..... I haven found my lodging nor book the flight tickets.... try to do it this weekend..... #5 is interesting.... I never know there are goodies to collect before we go travel..... any idea what's the goodies???

so the plan is to book somewhere near the start pt... and take the free shuttle service after the race back to the star line area?? would the bus be crowded?? and waiting area should be at the end point right??

The goodies depend on the period of the year and the availability. It could be one or more of the following: EasyCard with NT$50 for public transport, Taiwan Gift Coupon to exchange for one of the selected Taiwanese confectionery/snacks from airport duty-free shop, coupon for theme parks, bus ride coupon etc.

Early this november, I got a Taiwan Gift Coupon.

For this coming month, think they are giving out one-way bus voucher to travel from Taoyuan International Airport to Taipei City ,or from Taipei City to Taoyuan International Airport, using the listed bus company, and Taiwan Gift Coupon (if still available).

You may refer to the following link.

http://theme.taiwan.net.tw/gift/gift_en.htm

I took the train back for 2014, so I'm not sure if the shuttle bus will get crowded or not.

If stay nearby hotel, no need bag deposit. Just walk back after event.

But don't wait last minute to book hotels.

Giving next year one a miss as already going for the Kaoshiung Marathon in March.

I attended the last year one and the route was cool with runs up and down bridges/ expressways, winding up at their park connector and at end under another bridge. Those who train on flat road will have problem as the slopes is similar to 'heart-break bridge' at SCMS.

The weather is cold in the morning round 11-14 i think but once the morning sun up, its slightly warmer but as i was wearing my running jacket, it gets a little hot for me. There was free transport after the race back to 2 points. check with the people during race pack collection.

I was staying at NiHao @ Taipei Hostel

11F-4, No.41, Sec 1, Zhongxiao W. Rd, Taipei, Taiwan. its already 10 mins walk away to start point and next to Taipei main transport hub.

nice infor Luke... did u run the full or the half?? or both distance will face the same up and down bridges as you mentioned??? is this race for pb??? or dun even need to think about it?

Anyone can clarify with me on what Luke said above?? On the slopes, bridges, etc for this race.... if this is the case, then i might not train too hard for PB... but more for scenic and take more photos to review it....... 8 weeks left and not much time for me to train so anyone has the answer???

Anyone can clarify with me on what Luke said above?? On the slopes, bridges, etc for this race.... if this is the case, then i might not train too hard for PB... but more for scenic and take more photos to review it....... 8 weeks left and not much time for me to train so anyone has the answer???

You'll run up the highway at one point of time, but anyway it's just one highway for the 1st half of the marathon (and most part of half-marathon). 2nd half of the marathon would be something like running in ECP.

thanks Orionmiz... so i assume that its only the part going up the highway where there's slope.... from the map below, do you rem if its at 1 or 2? as i am running the HM, so i only show the HM route.... when go up means there's coming down also?? so only 1 pair of up and down slope??

post-21649-0-82419500-1418178210_thumb.j

thanks Orionmiz... so i assume that its only the part going up the highway where there's slope.... from the map below, do you rem if its at 1 or 2? as i am running the HM, so i only show the HM route.... when go up means there's coming down also?? so only 1 pair of up and down slope??

attachicon.giftaipei HM route.jpg

Think the route might be a bit different, but more likely is somewhere on that bend between 1 and 2, since the bend at 1 still lead to a normal road, and the next bend is going up that 大道 (highway).

Anyway, there's always satellite view for Google Map and Google Earth. ;)

true.... actually i dun need to knoe the exact detail but just wanna know if there are many or just 1 or 2.... cause a few is normal for a typical race... but if more than 4...then its too plenty for a pb....

I was running the FM and no, its not for PB. I was more interested to see if taiwan is a good place to run (it is)

Not all the slopes are like heart-break bridge slope. only one or max 2 if i rem correctly and both FM n HM will encounter this. the rest are more like gentle ones like in beginning (before 10k mark) is through a underpass etc.

All in all, take it as a enjoyment run rather than a PB run. and yes, they do have cut-off timing if i rem correctly. will feel the pressure one when see all the Taiwanese runners run like horses while i run like a cow. lol

Bro Luke, your purpose is to see is Taiwan is good for running and you had concluded its good... u didn't went for PB then so did u regret?? cause who knows you might get a PB if you ran all out right... hahah.... or do you think the route is not suitable for one??

I'm staying at Cosmos Hotel. Will be taking SQ there. :P

Taking budget or full-fledged airlines?

How much u paid for your SQ ticket and when are you flying off?

I was thinking of taking budget airlines :rock:

Is there a finisher medal for HM and 8K?

Yes for HM and 8k.

I'm staying at Cosmos Hotel. Will be taking SQ there. :P

Taking budget or full-fledged airlines?

How much u paid for your SQ ticket and when are you flying off?

I was thinking of taking budget airlines :rock:

That time I paid about $570-$580 during the AMEX promo (yup before the registration even started). Flying off on 6 Feb, returning on 9 Feb.