Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rain-man

Gold Coast Airport Marathon 2015 - 4 & 5 July 2015

Just to add on... They have recycling campaign so the jacket that u throw will be brought to good use... U can just throw at the side of the starting pen before it starts off.... For me... I went to deposit my jacket and did some warm up after that to warm myself... Then in the pen... So many pple so was quite warm... U took part in the FM...

U can read more about my experience in my blog too.. My very first article... Haa...

nice advice everyone.

BTW, I heard it's winter during the event. Will wearing singlet and shorts be enough? (I saw from youtube; mostly all in this attire)

any nice travel agency to recommend?

Planning to go this 2015......

Hi Vince,

You can go independently or go with Scenic Travel. One plus point is that Scenic Travel has a GCAM package which includes TFB marathon GCAM training. But I THINK that if you DIY the booking for air tickets, apartments and train yourself would be a cheaper option.

Besides autumn's post on GCAM, you can read up my posts on GCAM and learn some other stuff from them. Enjoy your GCAM experiences :)

http://mrnmrsrunthetown.blogspot.sg/2014/07/running-out-of-town-gold-coast.html

Regards

I will most probably go again in 2015 as the 2014 experience was really good for me. awesome in fact.

with regard to the coldness, yup if you are a tropical temp kinda person like me, pls prepare some top/windbreaker/long john/ daiso gloves... that you decide to donate away after flag off unless you have supporter outside the flag off pen or on the route. The wait for the start from 6-7am is the killer... very cold for me..

I will most probably go again in 2015 as the 2014 experience was really good for me. awesome in fact.

with regard to the coldness, yup if you are a tropical temp kinda person like me, pls prepare some top/windbreaker/long john/ daiso gloves... that you decide to donate away after flag off unless you have supporter outside the flag off pen or on the route. The wait for the start from 6-7am is the killer... very cold for me..

thks for the advice. I can take a fair amount of coldness but i guess no harm prepare those gloves, windbreaker just in case. :)

the cold is bearable actually, but not the windchill. disposable poncho should do the job to protect you from the wind chill before the event.

Anyway, I received this email this morning. for those who are interested in participating in this event :)

"Thank you for expressing interest at our Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore expo booth or for running at the Gold Coast Airport Marathon earlier this year.

For those interested in more information about the 2015 Gold Coast Airport Marathon and the Singapore-specific travel package, there are two information sessions coming up in January and February 2015.

1. Run Clinic / Workshop (5 - 8km) run on Saturday 17 January at FatBird Statue / Raffles Place (open area)
2. Pre-Ops Lead Up Run (15km) on Saturday 14 February at C4, East Coast Park

At each of these sessions, staff from Scenic Travel will be on hand to give you an overview of the package and answer your questions. Team FatBird will also talk about training and Operation Kookaburra with both sessions finishing with a group run.

To register your interest in attending either of the above please email training@teamfatbird.com. For Operation Kookaburra program details please visit opkookaburra.com.

For more information on the travel package visit Scenic Travel."

I remember was so cold that I was standing beside the generator to get some warm, haha

haha u knw before the race started, I was finding concrete cover as a shield against the cold breeze and even the spot light on the ground provided me with the warmth that I need... then I stood near the large frying stove of the stall that was selling bacon/eggs breakfast at Anzac park..

Haa.....ya i Rem all these that u all said... for me... I was wearing a wind breaker...Then i warm up with the windbreaker worn on my body... Then before I go to the start pen, I did a bag deposit. .. Then quickly.walk to the start pt ....In the pen, there were many runners so it wasn't cold there....haa....

When I lay down on the bed facing the window, listening to the crashing of waves and enjoy the cool breeze, very shiok. Occasionally ,the lifeguard will give warning to beach users who don't follow the rules.

One of the marathon's water point (or elites? cant remember)is located at the road in front (as seen in my pic and they are the actual view from inside my room).

Hi Shagshagrto and all who went GCAM before,

Did you guys go with the Team Fatbird or you guys went on your own trips? I am wondering if the experience would be very much different if you go with people you already know (thru Team Fatbird etc) or you go solo maybe with an accompanying friend whos there to travel but not running.

Thanks!

Did you guys go with the Team Fatbird or you guys went on your own trips? I am wondering if the experience would be very much different if you go with people you already know (thru Team Fatbird etc) or you go solo maybe with an accompanying friend whos there to travel but not running.

Thanks!

Hi,

I went there myself and nt in any groups though in the flight and at race, I already identify the local runners and chatted with some. Took the Singapore contingent photo with them. I did met my ns army friend over at GC.

This time in 2015, I already have few friends going so will join them. It be fun touring Gold coast in a group but some ppl may not like such grp,prefer quiet tour. Of course can always make new friends over there at racepack collection, in flight, or even at GC..can go carbo load together.

Thanks!

I joined Scenic Travel's package although I went alone and was not part of Team Fatbird. To me, the convenience lay in not having to book own flight or look and book my own accommodation. Enroute from the airport to the hotel, we were dropped off at the race expo, which meant that I did not have to make own way to the race expo to collect race pack and bib. On race day, transport was provided from hotel to the starting point, which was another plus point. Ultimately it depends on your traveling style.