Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

butadream

Bad experience with other runner while running

Hi all, not sure where this post belongs but I'd like to share what happened during my long run yesterday.

I was about 15km into my run when a guy started his run just in front of me along the route I always run on. He was running slowly so I overtook him. He then overtook me immediately, sprinting for about 100m before slowing down. I run at a constant pace but managed to catch up to him. The moment I did, he sprinted off again, only to slow down shortly ahead. This happened 4 times. I was not racing him, I was running like I always did but he felt the need to be faster than me.

By the 4th time I was getting irritated. I just wanted to finish my run in peace but he kept trying to race me. So I commented "Excuse me, I'm not racing! Can you stop trying to?"

He then proceeded to flash a very lewd gesture at me. I was shocked. I truly don't think it was warranted. Out of my seven years of running, this is the first time I've gotten into any sort of conflict with another runner. What has happened to running etiquette? What has happened to basic courtesy? Anyone experience anything similar before?

First of all...I am sure that guy wasn't a runner. .. he must be a leisure man trying to get more oxygen into his lungs that's all... I doubt any runners will give that kind of gesture.... seriously. ..

If I meet such guys, which I did before, I would have imagined that he is trying to train his intervals and I am just lucky(sway...) to be his timer along the route. I would know in my mind that he will be punctured soon and dun give a heck about it...

Or in another case if I am in a good feeling...I would pick up my pace and ensure that i run fast enough to be just behind him and once he stop, i would sprint past him without even giving him a 2nd look. .. Such leisure joggers wun last but runners will be able to judge his own pace...

I was running along the same route I used to for my long run yest too. .. as usual. . Runners greeted each other with a smile while less serious runners will just jog or walk past causally... no rude gestures or any sort... I think its just not your day,justadream... heck care him and forget about it...

I have met such people before and like what AutumnRunner said, I just ignored him and let him do his thing. In the end he got tired and started walking and I managed to overtake him and gave him a V sign. LOL...

Oh, I know how you feel, coz I had met such a person before too, and I felt super irritated as well. He did it a few times, over about 400m - 500m, then he left the path, and crossed the road to a block of flats. I guess he went home, to make sure that he's "won" over me.

AND the worst thing is, I had to bump into him on multiple occasions, coz we had the same running route! :( However, on some days when the distance to his flat is longer, I managed to overtake him, like what Autumn said - And I think it's also coz such people do not have enough strength to last too many short bursts of speed. I find him really childish. :thumbsd:

Eventually, I changed my route, and didn't have any more problems.

Actually true. .. The overtaking part can really improve your fast twitched muscles. .. so it really helps to improve if u see in this perspective...

when i read your account, it was so hilarious.

I'm super slow & dun do intervals but I've encountered such people during run events. I find it hilarious :rofl:

Thanks for all your responses. I was just upset that he felt the need to be so rude to me! Just because I run faster than him? :unknw: And his face was really angry also, like he wanted to attack me. It really spoiled the rest of my run.

First of all...I am sure that guy wasn't a runner. .. he must be a leisure man trying to get more oxygen into his lungs that's all... I doubt any runners will give that kind of gesture.... seriously. ..

On second thought, he definitely wasn't a regular runner. I've never seen him before, plus he was wearing a cotton T-shirt and bermudas to run... I really hope I won't ever see him again.

I have met such people before and like what AutumnRunner said, I just ignored him and let him do his thing. In the end he got tired and started walking and I managed to overtake him and gave him a V sign. LOL...

It's not the first time I've met someone (normally guys ahahaha) who wanted to race with me. Like you said, they can never keep up the pace and I'll overtake them in the end. This time it was different as giving me middle fingers just seemed so out of the blue!

AND the worst thing is, I had to bump into him on multiple occasions, coz we had the same running route! :( However, on some days when the distance to his flat is longer, I managed to overtake him, like what Autumn said - And I think it's also coz such people do not have enough strength to last too many short bursts of speed. I find him really childish. :thumbsd:

Eventually, I changed my route, and didn't have any more problems.

Yah, I really hope I don't see him again. Like you said, childish. He was a middle-aged man, trying to "race" a girl (who isn't racing with him!) more than 10 years younger, and then abusing her because she is faster? So ungracious.

when i read your account, it was so hilarious.

I'm super slow & dun do intervals but I've encountered such people during run events. I find it hilarious :rofl:

Me too! I am actually a very slow runner!!! I'm one of the slowest of my friends, but people seem to keep wanting to race me. I don't know why!

Hi all, not sure where this post belongs but I'd like to share what happened during my long run yesterday.

I was about 15km into my run when a guy started his run just in front of me along the route I always run on. He was running slowly so I overtook him. He then overtook me immediately, sprinting for about 100m before slowing down. I run at a constant pace but managed to catch up to him. The moment I did, he sprinted off again, only to slow down shortly ahead. This happened 4 times. I was not racing him, I was running like I always did but he felt the need to be faster than me.

By the 4th time I was getting irritated. I just wanted to finish my run in peace but he kept trying to race me. So I commented "Excuse me, I'm not racing! Can you stop trying to?"

He then proceeded to flash a very lewd gesture at me. I was shocked. I truly don't think it was warranted. Out of my seven years of running, this is the first time I've gotten into any sort of conflict with another runner. What has happened to running etiquette? What has happened to basic courtesy? Anyone experience anything similar before?

I usually don't pay much attention to other runners (except to exceptional runners and maybe eye candy) so I won't be upset with what this guy does. From what I see, you're probably a much better runner than him so it'll be a matter of time before he runs out of steam. Just do your thing and leave him behind with his tongue hanging out.

Why did u find a need to talk in the first place to him, guess tht Y u pissed him.... For this instance, just ignore him... N continue running, see how long he can keep this up hahahahaha

Yes, like Wat another forum-er luckily it's not vehicles road rage.... Did u c the video on the expat smashing the car window? Wow.... Just wonder insurance got cover such cases hahahahaha

Obviously on hindsight I wouldn't have said anything, but at that point in time he was trying to overtake me every few minutes, plus the path is very narrow so every time he tried to cut in front of me I'd have to slow down. So it got irritating especially when all he wanted to do really is to show that he can sprint faster (for 100m) than I do my long slow runs...

I can understand what u mean especially when he cut in front and made u slow down.. This is a bit overboard. .. If he is racing obediently at the side then still ok... If cut into your Lane and u slowed down then it's really quite irritating

I have met such people before and like what AutumnRunner said, I just ignored him and let him do his thing. In the end he got tired and started walking and I managed to overtake him and gave him a V sign. LOL

V sign ah..just make sure he aint ang mo:)

butadream, personally I think you over-reacted. And its probably just a coincidence that he seems to be racing you. Actually I dun even understand why you should be irritated. You say you wanted to run in peace but you choose to confront him over something he is doing which you perceived to be 'racing' but what makes you so sure? You said 'all he wanted to do really is to show that he can sprint faster'. Again what makes you so sure?

Ahh... but then I read further and I think this may be the answer >> He was a middle-aged man, trying to "race" a girl (who isn't racing with him!) more than 10 years younger, and then abusing her because she is faster? So ungracious.

Frankly I cant imagine anyone making a rude gesture to a girl. But I think I can understand where butadream is coming from. Not to be sexist, but some women runners seems a little self-conscious when they are running. That's understandable but there's also no need to be paranoid. Not every guy who is running up to you is stalking you.

And lets not be too elitist and think that just because you dun see him running regularly, wearing a cotton t-shirt and bermudea etc, then he is not a runner. Lets not reopen the whole jogger vs runner can of worms again. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who is out there pounding the running path is a runner.

The running path may be narrow but our mind and hearts should not be.

didn't know that running can be so complicated...!

No lah. Running is simple, but people makes it complicated.

Just look at the evolution of the running shoes in the last 20 yrs. From minimalist to barefoot to now maximalist to who know what next? Maybe minimaxialist? Or Maximinmalist?

I have met such people before and like what AutumnRunner said, I just ignored him and let him do his thing. In the end he got tired and started walking and I managed to overtake him and gave him a V sign. LOL

V sign ah..just make sure he aint ang mo:)

:lol:

or else ... pee in your pants ? :lol:

;)

I have runners giving me weird look before because i was runninh slowly rather jogging. Gave me a mock look when they ran past me. But i told myself distance is more important to me at this point of time. I will pick up speed once i clock my mileage.

Yeah. Just ignore all these runners who think they are very elite. Just remember that none of them started out flying out of the block (unless you have damn good running genes) and they all started just as you are starting.

Just remember that you are not the first and you will not the last to begin with this journey. All of us who are active runners have started just as you are started. I always told my friends that my running and participation is nothing extraordinary and all of them can do the same thing I do.

What *is* extraordinary is having the conviction and the discipline to continue with our training and to stay the course. So keep it up!

Thanks for all the responses. I am a slow runner and I'm used to people overtaking me. Just mentioning this because it was pretty out of the blue and I know it's a very rare occurrence. I normally either smile at the runners I see every week or just put my head down and do my own thing. Maybe just bad luck that he wanted to do this on the narrowest part of the route so he kept slowing me down each time I had to step off the pavement when he was trying to sprint from behind. I didn't see him this week which is good!

Thanks for all the responses. I am a slow runner and I'm used to people overtaking me. Just mentioning this because it was pretty out of the blue and I know it's a very rare occurrence. I normally either smile at the runners I see every week or just put my head down and do my own thing. Maybe just bad luck that he wanted to do this on the narrowest part of the route so he kept slowing me down each time I had to step off the pavement when he was trying to sprint from behind. I didn't see him this week which is good!

dun lose sleep over the guy lah ...

he ain't worth the while

coz i see your last sentence ... good that u didn't see him this week ... suggest you might be affected somewhat

but as a last resort ...

if you are really really still bothered by his nonsense ...

one way to figure him out is to ...

just run as you would (ignore him)

and if he pulls the same stunt again ...

just ignore it the first time around ...

thereafter, you do an immediate u-turn and run back ...

IF he turns back too and repeat the nonsense ...

give him benefit of doubt again ...

however if he should do it ...

u-turn again ... and u-turn midway thru this u-turn to see if he is still chasing you

u --->

he ---u--->

u --he--->

he---u---->

u-turn !

<----u

<---u--he

<---he---u

<--u---he

U-turn !

u ------>

he ---u---[u u-turn]---> [he going ahead without you trailing]

if he trails u again ... confirm plus chop ! he's a nut case LOL

btw, which PCN is this ? maybe someone here living closeby or running there too can monitor or help ...

Maybe he is ur secret admirer... want u to notice him <3 <3 <3

:P anyway stay safe... although sg safe, as they say low crazy dont mean no crazy, better be safe than sorry

Did you see him at the nearby stadium? he might be doing 20x800m intervals to ramp up his Vo2max to match yours..!