Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lazyitachi

Garmin FR920XT

Yes got from Holland Village branch. They had 5 black sets and 1 white set when I was there. I got the last white one.

Yup I'm aware of the waterproofing issue before I bought the unit. My unit not part of the serial numbers :)

In the drill, you can specify your "workout" repeats and then it will let you run thru it.

E.g. 4 x 800 m repeats with maybe 400 m rest or even time based e.g. 1 min rest

with also warm up or warm down session

Just wish to check how much battery hours on average do you get? In my case I get about 8hrs to 9hrs of usage before low battery warning pops up. I've previously used 310XT and 910XT and those 2 had much better battery life.

The 8-9hrs battery life was with the following settings:

• Software version: 2.50
  • GPS version: 2.50
  • Bluetooth OFF
  • Activity Tracker OFF
  • WIFI ON
  • GLONASS ON
  • HRM ON
  • Using Smart Recording

I've tried 4 full charge-recharge cycles and each time I get about 8-9 hrs which was very disappointing. Before I contact the Garmin distributor, Navicom, for a recourse (refund or a one-to-one exchange), I wanted to check one more time.

So yesterday when the battery was depleted, I charged it full*. When completed charging I was prompted by the watch there is a new GPS version 2.70 available, so I downloaded this hence currently my software version is 2.50 while GPS version upgraded to 2.70. I left the watch by the window so that it gets a line of sight to the sky, and started the run. Here's my settings again. Highlighted red below were changes from previous trials. Note that this time there was NO actual run. Just left the watch by the window till the battery was completely dead.

• Software version: 2.50
  • GPS version: 2.70
  • Bluetooth OFF
  • Activity Tracker OFF
  • WIFI ON
  • GLONASS ON
  • HRM ON (but no HRM was transmitting of course)
  • Using Smart Recording
16hrs 41mins later it died.
I was surprised. Was this due to the new version? This was much better than the 8-9hrs that I got from actual running but still lower than the 20hrs (with GLONASS) or 24hrs (w/o GLONASS) advertised.
There are some caveats.
  1. GPS version has changed. Improvement from v2.50 to v2.70 according to Garmin site pertaining to GPS positional accuracy, first fix accuracy, and Open Water GPS accuracy. No mention of battery life improvement. So not sure if the battery life improvement was from this or some other factor.
  2. Uploading of data via wifi was surprisingly quick. Much quicker than my usual 21km or 17km run. I expected longer because of the 16hrs worth of data. When I zoomed into my pace trend chart, I noticed each data point (timing) sampling was about 3 to 4 minutes apart, as opposed to about 5-10 seconds data sampling in an actual run (both under smart recording). Could this have explained the 16hrs+ battery life due to less data sampling? According to Garmin, Smart Recording records key points where the fitness device changes direction, speed, heart rate or elevation. Since the watch was stationary, hence there were less changes in those metrics except for the occasional GPS measurement jitter (in that 16+hours of stationary position, the watch recorded a distance travel of 8.1km from GPS jitter around its true location).
  3. HRM function on the watch was switched on, but there were no signals coming from the HRM-Run transmitter device.
Because of the 3 new factors introduced, I need to do another cycle of battery life check but with actual runs instead. If I still get 8-9hrs of battery life even with GPS version 2.70, then the watch clearly have issues.

* I have also tried with different chargers just to check if the battery was optimally charged. Garmin 920XT did not come with a supplied USB charger. They advised you to plug the USB cable into the USB port of your computer for charging. I've tried the following charging methods.

• USB 2.0 ports which supplies 5V up to 500mA. (if you have a USB 3.0, then it supplies 5V up to 900mA. I don't have USB 3.0)
  • Garmin 910XT USB charger which supplies 5V up to 1A.
  • iPhone 6 USB charger which supplies 5V up to 2.1A

I don't see any difference in battery life with the above 3 methods. Some may comment that the iPhone 6 USB charger with a 2.1A max current rating may damage the 920XT. This shouldn't be a problem because the amount of current drawn is determined by the device, not the charger. The charger merely supplies up to a max of 2.1A of current. The device will draw what it needs. That is, If the device was designed properly to draw only 500mA of current during charging. I don't think Garmin designers are so crap to overlook this. The manual did not state what kind of USB (2.0 or 3.0?). Anyway...

Ok long story short, what is your experience with the Garmin 920XT battery life? if possible, can you share what's your serial number? My serial number is 41F005657 (not in the list of Garmin device with known water proofing or battery issues posted several posts above)

Hi Everyone!

I know that this is a fr920xt forum, but wanted to ask for advice regarding buying a multisport GPS watch! I'm considering between the 920xt the Fenix 3 and the Ambit 3 and wanted to ask what people thought about those watches.

Thanks in advance!

Saw this in my Garmin Express and wonder who has downloaded this update successfully which applies to Fenix 3 as well?

Edit as at 12 January 2016: To install the download, you need to wear the HRM Run belt and connect it either by wifi or by Garmin Express to do so.

tWxMBGA.jpg

Here is a photo of how it looks like on the Garmin 920xt once updated:

V2t15im.jpg

I did a few runs with my F3 after the update.

The GCT balance was quite interesting... showing if you favor a certain foot... (excludes walking or standing). 50-50 is obviously ideal.

Another new metrix is the vertical ratio which shows % of vertical ratio to stride length (which obviously could have been self-calculated previously). Lower ratio is better.

8.6 %
Avg Vertical Ratio
50.4% L / 49.6% R
Avg GCT Balance

did anyone got the Lactate Threhold by just doing your normal runs? It can be done with a guided test or normal runs. So far, I did two runs, still didn't see my Lactate Threhold result.

I can't see mine yet..

Have to do few/ many(?) runs at LT pace (about 90% HR)

which is really not ideal cause I am mainly running easy pace now :(

That is nice to know since your Fenix 3 can have the update first :)

I also prefer the vertical ratio instead of the current vertical oscillation/bounce measurement.

Guess they have imported the second generation running dynamics which are seen in Garmin Forerunner 630.

I did a few runs with my F3 after the update.

The GCT balance was quite interesting... showing if you favor a certain foot... (excludes walking or standing). 50-50 is obviously ideal.

Another new metrix is the vertical ratio which shows % of vertical ratio to stride length (which obviously could have been self-calculated previously). Lower ratio is better.

8.6 %
Avg Vertical Ratio
50.4% L / 49.6% R
Avg GCT Balance

Did an easy pace 10km run today and was able to get the 3 new run dynamics data (except for run cadence which is already captured for all runs done). Vertical ratio is an aspect that I need to improve and my GCT balance has quite a number of left foot strike but it averaged out eventually.

5bHfEFI.jpg

Wah nice cadence. I should work on mine. Up it to Min 180

Thank you for the compliment. This particular sample run was done on an easy pace and if it were to be a racing pace, I will expect a faster cadence (i.e. 190 and above). I saw your overseas run records in your Garmin Connect too.