Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lazyitachi

Garmin FR920XT

Behold! The new tri watch from Garmin!

Replacement for the amazing 910XT!

Will it live up to its name??

http://forerunner920.garmin.com/en-US

FR920XT-TwoModels2_thumb.jpg

Review from DC Rainmaker

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/10/fr920xt-triathlon-details.html

Available for pre-order expected to ship in Nov!

I have lots of scepticism with the new line of watch. Given the poor GPS reliability when tested compared to the older generation (10s) it seems to be hardward related when they changed from Sirf to mediatek...

As expected, you get lots of features already present in Fenix2 are also in 920XT for all the bike, run and swim. Some of note (incl new features):

• new color touch screen
  • 24hr batt for 1-sec GPS recording, 40 hr batt in ultra-trac
  • 30 days of battery (1 month) with activity tracking, 4 months battery in watch-only mode
  • Daily Activity Tracking
  • Racing against past performances
  • metronome
  • cycling VO2Max
  • running dynamics

You can check the DC for his indepth review. Gonna get to reading now! and lurk the garmin forum to check for complains or online reviews to decide purchase :x

You are fast to highlight the successor to FR910XT which is the 920XT. Thanks for the awesome share and your first post here! :D

On the first look, i thought this was a spin off from the Forerunner 620's colour scheme and one obvious plus point is that the watch is thinner and lighter for people doing multi sports. ^_^ As you have rightly stated, first batch release tends to have some glitches/hiccups before it gets better.

Haha I will never trust Garmin ever again (was an early buy for the 910XT and the Fenix2). 910XT was a good watch but it took 6 months or so before they rolled our firmware updates.

Ya.. seems like the first batch of watches and software consumers are always guinea pigs.

But then again, 910xt hardware is good enough that when the software caught up, the watch is good to go and is a top watch.

Fenix 2 on the other hand.............................................................

so hoping to see if the 920xt hardware is good enough once the software side matures.

From DCR blog, he mentioned that they redesigned the antenna for better accuracy after their "guinea pig" FR620 watch. So at least thats something to hope for! Better GPS signal after learning from their own design mistakes!

In this mode it’ll show you exactly how far you are away from the waypoint. It was here that I was fairly impressed with the satellite accuracy shown on the device. As I stayed put to where the marker was, the accuracy of the unit stayed within 1-3ft (not meters, but feet). Then as I walked away it increased, and walked back to the same spot it went back to those 1-3ft. Garmin notes that they made changes to the antenna placement and positioning on the unit that should offer increased satellite performance.

There is already section for 920xt in garmin forum:

https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?480-Forerunner-920XT

Will be lurking hard to gauge the performance... fingers crossed!

Although they finally made it a day watch, it is very ugly though T.T how come we can never have the best of all worlds.... 910xt cannot be day watch, Fenix2 performance kinda bad and 920xt ugly.... :fpc:

I think 6 mths is too long for early adopters to wait for it to stabilize. Happy with my 910 so again will be playing waiting game.

Did I see somewhere there is an upcoming Fenix 3 ?

I think 6 mths is too long for early adopters to wait for it to stabilize. Happy with my 910 so again will be playing waiting game.

Did I see somewhere there is an upcoming Fenix 3 ?

Still too early for a Fenix 3. In any case, I'll probably switch to Suunto in the future. ;)

between a suunto Ambit 2 and the Fenix 2, which would you take?

I like the Fenix 2 with the HRM that can measure cadence and 'bounce' and bluetooth function, and ability to export to endomondo which is my primary sftware for logging of runs.

There's also Ambit 3. It really depends what kind of exercises you do and want to accomplish. If you're looking for just running (or more towards running, e.g. lots of intervals), Garmin (Fenix2) is much better. If you're looking for something more reliable and look nicer, etc, maybe Ambit 3.

I got for myself an 620 for running purposes and an Ambit 3 for an overall watch (e.g. Triathlon). And I think a 920xt is really worth considering. :)

920 is worth considering but he looks....and being 1st batch.....I find Fenix 2 SE more suitable for me ^^

There's also Ambit 3. It really depends what kind of exercises you do and want to accomplish. If you're looking for just running (or more towards running, e.g. lots of intervals), Garmin (Fenix2) is much better. If you're looking for something more reliable and look nicer, etc, maybe Ambit 3.

I got for myself an 620 for running purposes and an Ambit 3 for an overall watch (e.g. Triathlon). And I think a 920xt is really worth considering. :)

To be honest, I really do like the functionality of Garmin. But the Fenix2 is the last straw when it comes to reliability. GPS accuracy is way off than my 910XT and disconnects during runs, altimeter shows negative readings at times, and battery life for the ultra-trac is subpar. The 620 is noted to be the worst at GPS tracks according to this site http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Best_Running_Watch.

considering either this or the Suunto ambit 3.

anyone knows whats the retail price for both?

I am not sure for Sunnto Ambit 3 but for Garmin Forerunner 920XT, the retail/launch price is $729 based on this Sitex November 2014 offer. Please look at this forum post at http://www.sgrunners.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19385&page=18#entry497866 for 920XT pricing.

The boring part is 920 can't charge & record simultaneously. If an activity lasts >24 hours, that will be a real problem.

Not sure if Garmin is able to fix this. If not, so far 910 still the better one.

Ah pek me always use Casio.

Just got my 920xt. Wah so cheem a watch! Will take her out for a dip soon...

My friends say it will help monitor and improve performance. Can meh?

Cheers.

Ah pek me always use Casio.

Just got my 920xt. Wah so cheem a watch! Will take her out for a dip soon...

My friends say it will help monitor and improve performance. Can meh?

Cheers.

a her, not him? haha.

Garmin 920XT now available at retail stores locally. Just got mine from Parisilk for $629. Much cheaper than US.

Last evening I swam 1.5 km but the watch measured a strange distance of 1340 m.

Maybe I counted wrongly the number of laps, but I do know my usual timing for 1.5 km swim. So it cannot be so because my timing was actually slower than normal.

I read somewhere that I have to turn in a certain manner so that the watch knows it is a new lap. Did open turn, not flip turn.

Any expert can advise? I will also ask around my friends too!

Yeah still trying to get to know her better...why she behaved like that wan :)

Last evening I swam 1.5 km but the watch measured a strange distance of 1340 m.

Maybe I counted wrongly the number of laps, but I do know my usual timing for 1.5 km swim. So it cannot be so because my timing was actually slower than normal.

I read somewhere that I have to turn in a certain manner so that the watch knows it is a new lap. Did open turn, not flip turn.

Any expert can advise? I will also ask around my friends too!

Yeah still trying to get to know her better...why she behaved like that wan :)

boss... u use open water mode in a swimming pool? i koe it is open air swimming pool.. but you should use the pool swiming mode.. where u set 50m(or 25m) as the length.

it is a know fact that it will be off if you use open water mode in swimming pool....

once u set to pool swim mode.. and set an alarm for 500m.. never need to count laps anymore! i started counting my strokes and improving my technique

Garmin 920XT now available at retail stores locally. Just got mine from Parisilk for $629. Much cheaper than US.

If it is priced at $629, it is even cheaper than the retail price offered by Garmin SIngapore at $729.

boss... u use open water mode in a swimming pool? i koe it is open air swimming pool.. but you should use the pool swiming mode.. where u set 50m(or 25m) as the length.

it is a know fact that it will be off if you use open water mode in swimming pool....

once u set to pool swim mode.. and set an alarm for 500m.. never need to count laps anymore! i started counting my strokes and improving my technique

Hellhole is right, There is a pool option 920XT (seen in DC Rainmaker detailed FR920 review at http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/11/garmin-forerunner-920xt-depth-review.html)

Artisan, does it include the HRM as well???

Thanks.

Artisan, dont mind but can you check your 920XT and see if it falls onto the below table, understand this lot has waterproofing and battery issue.

Thanks.

2edmo3o.jpg