Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

@prisangel, thanks for sharing your great articles about Uncle Chan.

I hope I can continue to run until eighty yo too :)

You're welcome armadillo! Hope uncle Chan's marathon adventures - and my other blog posts continue to inspire you in your running. :)

I'm only targeting to complete 50 marathons in my lifetime. Uncle Chan is an inspiration indeed!! Just hoping my legs can still hold as well when i'm his age. Bravo!! :goodjob:

i hope i can run 100 marathons in my life time too.... now, i am 91 short... haaaa

My marathon count is only at 3. Haha. A long way off from Mr Chan's achievement...

i hope i can run 100 marathons in my life time too.... now, i am 91 short... haaaa

My marathon count is only at 3. Haha. A long way off from Mr Chan's achievement...

me long way to go too... anyway, i saw u during scms 14 at end of fort road during SCMS.

I didn't say hi to you as you look super serious that day.

anyway, see you in ultra craze in sep 15 :)

Can I count ultras as"marathons" too? Is it considered cheating?

nope... you need 2 counters. 1 for marathon and the other for ultras! lol

When i reached the hydration station at Marina Barrage, i finally saw the volunteers distributing the gels. As i reached out, a volunteer just stuffed 3 packs of gels into my hand. Thinking they must have a lot of excess to be distributing this generously, i consumed one on the spot and kept the other 2. Well, that makes me a cheapo too :ph34r:

Hmm. At the SCMS, you were towards the tail end of the finishers right?

If that's the case, perhaps they may have wanted to get rid of the remaining gels, that's why they stuffed it all into your hand. :)

If that's the case, perhaps they may have wanted to get rid of the remaining gels, that's why they stuffed it all into your hand. :)

Noleh, my gun time on race day was 5hrs 44mins which i was the 3757th runner to cross the finish line. There were still another 6563 finishers behind me. I was quite surprised by the generosity of the volunteer.

I never understand why organisers seems to think that slower runners dun need gel.

But so far for the 3 FMs I run, only for SCMS last yr did I manage to get some gel but my time last yr was faster than the 7h+ I ran in SDM and SCMS this yr. It the same for Newton Challenge when I ran 4h+.

In fact I have a better chance of picking up gel than hoping to get any from oragniser.

Not the organizer instruction to give out gel to the faster runner, I think it the volunteer want to give out the gel as fast as possible and can pack up early.

Not the organizer instruction to give out gel to the faster runner, I think it the volunteer want to give out the gel as fast as possible and can pack up early.

sounds correct.... i heard from runners in the forum claiming that volunteers asked them to take more if they want......

Then these volunteers should be "Educated". They are not doing their duties well. Anyway I dun take their gels also. I only take the Gu Energy Gel

Then its still the race organier's fault for #1 not briefing the volunteer correctly and ensuring all runners get only 1 get; and #2 ensuring that there is enough gel for all runners still running on the official course within the stipulated cutoff time; and not just for the faster runners.

When i reached the hydration station at Marina Barrage, i finally saw the volunteers distributing the gels. As i reached out, a volunteer just stuffed 3 packs of gels into my hand. Thinking they must have a lot of excess to be distributing this generously, i consumed one on the spot and kept the other 2. Well, that makes me a cheapo too :ph34r:

I was one of the slowest runners, by the time I reached the marina barrage hydration station already ran out of gel and the volunteers were informing us that it was the last hydration station.

I'm always a snail runner, but managed to get it last year at SCMS, this year at Newton Challenge, GE run etc.. this is the first time i encountered no gel. My strategy is almost the same as some of the runners here, i'll only bring 3 gels and rely on the organisers to provide the remaining two. Guess i will just bring 5-6 for my next FM.. sigh...

I'm only at my 3rd marathon, will need 97 more to complete 100 like Uncle Chan! And if i only do 2 marathons per year, I will need almost 50 years to do that, and I'll be Uncle Chan's age if I'm still alive lolz.. Anyway, from his TV interview, he only started running when he was 50+ and this year alone he already did more than 5 marathons. Really take my hat off!

Wanna get another souvenir to commemorate your achievement at SCMS 2014?? Head over to the adidas store at The Cathay today to engrave your finishing time on your colored wristband. All you need to do is to donate any amount to HOPE Worldwide at the store, and you can get the engraving done. You have until 21 Dec to get it ;)

10850025_804231949623715_384874928440405

Noleh, my gun time on race day was 5hrs 44mins which i was the 3757th runner to cross the finish line. There were still another 6563 finishers behind me. I was quite surprised by the generosity of the volunteer.

Eh. Then I have no clue why the volunteer would give you so many gels. Should save for the tail end runners too leh.

To resolve the no gels or insufficient gels issue, the best solution is to give out bananas only (the cost saving can be reimbursed back for lower registration fees).

Do you think the greedy runners what to stuff his/her fuel belt with bananas ? :lolu:

But one high risk is possible of runners' fall due to misstep on the scattering bananas skin !!! Need better bananas skin disposal management !

Wanna get another souvenir to commemorate your achievement at SCMS 2014?? Head over to the adidas store at The Cathay today to engrave your finishing time on your colored wristband. All you need to do is to donate any amount to HOPE Worldwide at the store, and you can get the engraving done. You have until 21 Dec to get it ;)

Oops I donno where is my wrist band. Hahaha.

You getting this?

I was one of the slowest runners, by the time I reached the marina barrage hydration station already ran out of gel and the volunteers were informing us that it was the last hydration station.

I'm always a snail runner, but managed to get it last year at SCMS, this year at Newton Challenge, GE run etc.. this is the first time i encountered no gel. My strategy is almost the same as some of the runners here, i'll only bring 3 gels and rely on the organisers to provide the remaining two. Guess i will just bring 5-6 for my next FM.. sigh...

I'm only at my 3rd marathon, will need 97 more to complete 100 like Uncle Chan! And if i only do 2 marathons per year, I will need almost 50 years to do that, and I'll be Uncle Chan's age if I'm still alive lolz.. Anyway, from his TV interview, he only started running when he was 50+ and this year alone he already did more than 5 marathons. Really take my hat off!

Yup Uncle Chan told me.

Yangon marathon (completed), 2XU Marathon , sundown marathon (dnf), scms marathon (completed), mr25 marathon (completed)

REally so inspired by him too. Shows that one is never too late to pick up running. :)

You getting this?

I might go down to do it on Sat, wouldn't mind another memorabilia :thumbsu:

You getting this?

I might go down to do it on Sat, wouldn't mind another memorabilia :thumbsu:

Hehe. Cool. :)

To resolve the no gels or insufficient gels issue, the best solution is to give out bananas only (the cost saving can be reimbursed back for lower registration fees).

Do you think the greedy runners what to stuff his/her fuel belt with bananas ? :lolu:

But one high risk is possible of runners' fall due to misstep on the scattering bananas skin !!! Need better bananas skin disposal management !

Sorry. I have to disagree with you on this. Personally I'm not a fan of banana being given out during races cos its not the easiest thing to try digesting during a race. So I would still prefer gel over banana.

The fairest solution is to provide at least a gel in the race pack so that even the slowest FM runner will get at least one gel. But this has been suggested before and the organiser choose not to do it and rather go by the concept of 'fastest legs get first'. In this case, they can get by with providing a limited quantity of gel and get away with it.

If I'm not mistaken, you can get one at the store. But I'm really not sure so maybe you want to call up the shop and asked first. Its a very cool memorabilia and definitely worth making a trip down. The engraving standard is very good. It will take around 5 mins for the engraving to be done (excluding the queuing time if any) so trying going during the off peak hours if you can.

If I'm not mistaken, you can get one at the store. But I'm really not sure so maybe you want to call up the shop and asked first. Its a very cool memorabilia and definitely worth making a trip down. The engraving standard is very good. It will take around 5 mins for the engraving to be done (excluding the queuing time if any) so trying going during the off peak hours if you can.

Hey lonewolf. Thanks for this heads-up. Ok shall see and check this out if I have time!

i still have mine but dun think would go down to have it engraved... cause i believe i will still lose it sooner or later....hahaah... or it will be at a corner of my drawer....