Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

prisangel, thanks for the clarification.. was a event tee ...

No problems, Beepbeep. :)After having recovered from SCMS, guess that everyone here would be looking forward to running their next marathon.

In that case, I suppose it can't hurt then, to get some running tips from Soh Rui Yong, the National Record Holder for 10,000m and the Second Fastest Marathoner in Singapore. He is currently in town for the winter holidays and is giving some running workshops to share his knowledge on the sport. :)

Link: http://www.prischew.com/running/tips-from-soh-rui-yong/

Thanks pris for the writeup...I dun even know that there is such a clinic. ..haa

I have also seen the (donated?) finisher tees sold in Indonesia & East Timor.

I hope those tees in East Timor (etc) are donated and not sold over there.

Yah.....it was hanging for sale at roadside with other donated clothing (incl school PE shirts, Football jerseys, etc) from Singapore.

Poor people sell whatever they can get. Can't blame them.

I think 8 hours is fine. Tokyo marathon has 7 hours as cut off. With the weather here, 8 hours is reasonable. I don't have any issues with walkers. It's not easy to walk for 8 hours! Haha.

I don't think we can totally eliminate cheats too. But we can certainly try to make it harder for them by having better routes etc.

We do need to ensure that participants get what they deserve though. Those who did not manage to complete the entire distance should not get finisher tees and medals. They can get something else, I don't mind.

well said. I also think 8 hours is reasonable for our climate.

prisangel, thanks for the clarification.. was a event tee ...

No problems, Beepbeep. :)After having recovered from SCMS, guess that everyone here would be looking forward to running their next marathon.

In that case, I suppose it can't hurt then, to get some running tips from Soh Rui Yong, the National Record Holder for 10,000m and the Second Fastest Marathoner in Singapore. He is currently in town for the winter holidays and is giving some running workshops to share his knowledge on the sport. :)

Link: http://www.prischew.com/running/tips-from-soh-rui-yong/

Thanks pris for the writeup...I dun even know that there is such a clinic. ..haa

You're welcome Autumn :)

I think anyone who walks 42km in 8 hrs is putting in a creditable effort. They are also paying to do it. Can't really begrudge them the chance.

I think anyone who walks 42km in 8 hrs is putting in a creditable effort. They are also paying to do it. Can't really begrudge them the chance.

People like Uncle Chan, who may run slow, but they are putting in hard hours of training and effort to complete the race honestly.

Yup that is why i think the focus really needs to move away from t-shirts/medals. A good race is one where you prepare for to the best of your abilities, and on that day you perform the best you can manage, and are happy with the outcome. The real reward is the pride that comes with it. Everything else is not important.

People like Uncle Chan, who may run slow, but they are putting in hard hours of training and effort to complete the race honestly.

I fully agree, Uncle Chan already 84 yo. Many eighty plus yo people can barely walk 4km, not to mention 42km.

I'm considering 1 of the slowest runner too, I finished my run at 6 hours. Basically, I run non stop for the 1st 30km, and hope for some banana to fuel my run, unfortunately not available :(

Before this year, SCSM/SCMS was graded as 5 stars and Sundown as 4 stars but this year SCMS was down-graded by me as 3 stars because of the illusion or mirage of the missing 22 km gel station and 28 km banana station that caused me to run at "power saving mode" for almost 18 kms !

Before this year, SCSM/SCMS was graded as 5 stars and Sundown as 4 stars but this year SCMS was down-graded by me as 3 stars because of the illusion or mirage of the missing 22 km gel station and 28 km banana station that caused me to run at "power saving mode" for almost 18 kms !

To b fair there is a a shotz gel station with only 1 flav.

But it was a samll table n alot of room for improvement...

After 21 km, I was at "over drive mode" for negative split planned for below 4:15 goal.

After 22 km, my neck became longer and longer after disappointment of unavailable of gel at every 2 km interval of water stations and no choice slow down myself and only drank 100 plus to get even with negligible sugar energy content and last hope of banana at 28 km became total disastrous with severe hunger !

After that my mind told me was I ran too slow with my timing of between 4:30 and 4:45 that all the gels/banana have been swept empty ?

The only gel station at 36 km did provide a few flavours of Shotz gels !

After 21 km, I was at "over drive mode" for negative split planned for below 4:15 goal.

After 22 km, my neck became longer and longer after disappointment of unavailable of gel at every 2 km interval of water stations and no choice slow down myself and only drank 100 plus to get even with negligible sugar energy content and last hope of banana at 28 km became total disastrous with severe hunger !

After that my mind told me was I ran too slow with my timing of between 4:30 and 4:45 that all the gels/banana have been swept empty ?

Rule of thumb is always to bring your own gels. You don't want your race to screw up cos of the organiser. If the gels are there, treat it like a bonus.

Rule of thumb is always to bring your own gels. You don't want your race to screw up cos of the organiser. If the gels are there, treat it like a bonus.

As I posted earlier, the route map with all the supplies must be accurate. Many runs including past years SCSM/SCMS, Sundown, Newton Challenge, 2 XU Compression and others were "Men of Honour", the supplies of gels/banana were provided as stated on the route map !

I will carry extra gels if they don't supply and don't put it on the race route so that I can plan my energy supply accordingly !

As I posted earlier, the route map with all the supplies must be accurate. Many runs including past years SCSM/SCMS, Sundown, Newton Challenge, 2 XU Compression and others were "Men of Honour", the supplies of gels/banana were provided as stated on the route map !

I will carry extra gels if they don't supply and don't put it on the race route so that I can plan my energy supply accordingly !

These days, I always carry my own gels for races, no matter what. Precaution is better than destroying your race over it. :)

I fully agree, Uncle Chan already 84 yo. Many eighty plus yo people can barely walk 4km, not to mention 42km.

I'm considering 1 of the slowest runner too, I finished my run at 6 hours. Basically, I run non stop for the 1st 30km, and hope for some banana to fuel my run, unfortunately not available :(

Congrats on finishing your run, armadillo. As Uncle Chan says, timing isn't important. Completion is. :)

Talking about Uncle Chan and SCMS, I interviewed him about his successful 100th marathon @ SCMS 2014. In this interview, he shared with me about how his race went and what was going through his mind during those almost 9 hours of running.

Here's the blog post, for anyone who's interested.

Link: http://www.prischew.com/running/scms-2014-chan-meng-hui/

These days, I always carry my own gels for races, no matter what. Precaution is better than destroying your race over it. :)

Congrats on finishing your run, armadillo. As Uncle Chan says, timing isn't important. Completion is. :)

Talking about Uncle Chan and SCMS, I interviewed him about his successful 100th marathon @ SCMS 2014. In this interview, he shared with me about how his race went and what was going through his mind during those almost 9 hours of running.

Great article. Thanks for writing and sharing.

Uncle Chan is such an inspiration!

Great article. Thanks for writing and sharing.

Uncle Chan is such an inspiration!

Thank you for your kind words! Really glad you like the article.

Yes Uncle Chan inspires us all, indeed!

Ms Pris, I always bring 3 gels for all my FM run, one consumed at 0 km and carry two gels (with one 50 cents size electrolyte tablet in a tiny zip lock bag) in my short's small pocket. The two gels will be consumed at around 10 km and 20 km (quarter of the electrolyte will be consumed at every 10 km). The last two gels or banana will be supplied by organizer as long as indicated on the official published route map. If no supply by organizer then I will bring one to two extra gels.
I always run very light without phone, fuel belt and water bottle.
BTW, I think fuel belt should be banned, in some runs, I've personally witnessed those greedy runners that refueled their fuel belt to full (i.e. no slots are left empty) ! Terrible !
Lots of money, one gel is about $2.50 discounted price !
Another ways to stamp out this issue is the organizer just supply cheap bananas only (it's ok without gel and banana is more natural, healthier without some awful taste) that will rot in one or two days instead of the gels that can be stored for many months !

Ms Pris, I always bring 3 gels for all my FM run, one consumed at 0 km and carry two gels (with one 50 cents size electrolyte tablet in a tiny zip lock bag) in my short's small pocket. The two gels will be consumed at around 10 km and 20 km (quarter of the electrolyte will be consumed at every 10 km). The last two gels or banana will be supplied by organizer as long as indicated on the official published route map. If no supply by organizer then I will bring one to two extra gels.

I always run very light without phone, fuel belt and water bottle.

BTW, I think fuel belt should be banned, in some runs, I've personally witnessed those greedy runners that refueled their fuel belt to full (i.e. no slots are left empty) ! Terrible !

Lots of money, one gel is about $2.50 discounted price !

Another ways to stamp out this issue is the organizer just supply cheap bananas only (it's ok without gel and banana is more natural, healthier without some awful taste) that will rot in one or two days instead of the gels that can be stored for many months !

I see. Hmm. That's a pretty good fueling strategy. Mostly I rely on my own gels (I take about 6 if I'm running a FM and 3 for HM) throughout just in case the gels provided at the race cause problems and don't taste good. For my very first marathon, relying purely on the gel stations for fuel were a mistake... Since the. I've always liked to be more prepared... If I am relying on the gel stations though, I usually just take 1 to 2 gels to last for that actual race. Some runners are so cheapo... Taking so many gels as spares just to save money or something...

I see. Hmm. That's a pretty good fueling strategy. Mostly I rely on my own gels (I take about 6 if I'm running a FM and 3 for HM) throughout just in case the gels provided at the race cause problems and don't taste good. For my very first marathon, relying purely on the gel stations for fuel were a mistake... Since the. I've always liked to be more prepared... If I am relying on the gel stations though, I usually just take 1 to 2 gels to last for that actual race. Some runners are so cheapo... Taking so many gels as spares just to save money or something...

Sometimes i tihnk the volunteers need to be vigilant and allocate one gel person runner.... when they do not police it, such things will sure happen.....

Unfortunately being cheapo is a common trait - free therefore must take. What's worse is that I often see the gels having been discarded later on.

Admittedly I have not done many races, but I have NEVER seen any gel at the stations.

:blush:

Unfortunately being cheapo is a common trait - free therefore must take. What's worse is that I often see the gels having been discarded later on.

:( I'm admit i'm one of these cheapo.. I took 4 packs but comsumed 2... Now the 2 remain packs is for my race/ long training...

On the other hand, if u do triathlon... there are so much gel packs that volunteers are squeezing to u as much as they can...

:blush:

:( I'm admit i'm one of these cheapo.. I took 4 packs but comsumed 2... Now the 2 remain packs is for my race/ long training...

On the other hand, if u do triathlon... there are so much gel packs that volunteers are squeezing to u as much as they can...

When i reached the hydration station at Marina Barrage, i finally saw the volunteers distributing the gels. As i reached out, a volunteer just stuffed 3 packs of gels into my hand. Thinking they must have a lot of excess to be distributing this generously, i consumed one on the spot and kept the other 2. Well, that makes me a cheapo too :ph34r: