Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

Based on our climate condition, i would suggest that cut-off time be as follows:

1. 10km: 2hrs

2. 21km: 4hrs

3. 42km: 6.5hrs.

There should be rolling cut-off time been clearly marked at each cut-off point. Runner that has not pass each cut-off point will be sweep up to facilitate cleanup and road opening. Otherwise, volunteer will be demoralised with long hours there.

A lot of ppl do not understand that marathon is a long j0urney rather than aiming for the medal or T-shirt.

I found a critical fault (life & death matter) with the route design, there is no specific lane for emergency vehicles. For HM, i saw an Ambulance stop in lane 2 of AYE to attend a runner.

IMO, 6.5 hours is quite fast for some people. I think 8 is fine, just as long as the cut-off timings for each section of the race route are clearly communicated.

Example: Tokyo Marathon 2014 runner's booklet page 5 http://www.tokyo42195.org/2014en/sanka/pdf/runner_handbook.pdf

From what I heard, these timings are also clearly shown on the route itself. Therefore, the organizers can save the headache of diversion and also save on costs of blocking the road for too long.

Anyway, running past 12pm, sure die 1 with the heat.

It might be too fast for some ppl. But we also must be considerate to those volunteer who is manning the entire route. They have harder work than us running the entire route.

Especially those girl at Marina Barrage, no shelter for them to hide. Fair and white skin become dark and maybe they only got $20 of allowance.

Especially those girl at Marina Barrage, no shelter for them to hide. Fair and white skin become dark and maybe they only got $20 of allowance.

think worst is at death valley area..those meimei kanna pengkang....

think worst is at death valley area..those meimei kanna pengkang....

Most of these volunteers do deserve some appreciation and gratitude. Kudos to them!! :goodjob:

Just my view. Ran Singapore Marathon in 1997 and running SCMS/SCSM FM since 2003 and Sundown FM since it started. Having a cut off time of 6.5hrs will be good as those who joined will be serious in training for FM. Not too hard to run below 6.5 hours if some consistent training is done for 4 months. Singapore Marathon cut off time was 5 hours and Mobil Marathon was 7 hours in the 90's and not too many runners were cut off also.

Another faster way is to stamp a color (black below 3 hours, green below 4 hours and etc) or type of animal (cheetah below 3 hours, horse below 4 hours...snail 7 hours and above) on the allocated place at the back of the finisher tee immediately after the race !

Sounds like a good idea but not in Singapore.

Slow pokes like me who would expected to finish in 8-9 hours would finish the "diverted 25km FM" in 4 hours and get a Horse stamped on my shirt while all my friends who are >5 hour 42km finishers get a Snail :lol:

Uniquely Singapore...

how about having a wristband issued to us at the checkpoints, and in order to collect the medal n shirt at the end, need to produce all the wristbands to exchange

OMG! That would a logistical nightmare. Can u imagine if they run out of wristband? But its seems a bit anal to do something manual when you have a electronic timing bib and mat that is supposed to do the same thing.

Haha.. reminds me of primary school days running 1.6km, teachers gave us rubber bands to put on the wrist when we finished one loop. But there will be major human jam if we do it this way in a big scale race..

this kind of 'I am willing' to run event, all depends on the runner himself loh.. to cheat or not to cheat,to train or not to train,for tee shirt/medal or both, or for personal achievement ... everyone thinks different and no point to enforce much stricter rules other than a possibly checkpoints cut off timing,strictly to adhere to by both organiser and runners.

oh..its 98 pages liaoz

Just wondering, was there any 6 hr pacer group? If yes, does anyone know if they finished on time or came in late?

Just wondering, was there any 6 hr pacer group? If yes, does anyone know if they finished on time or came in late?

I met the pacers at the expo. They said there were no 6h pacers. The slowest pacer group for SCMS was 5.30.

My thoughts regarding this whole matter.

First of all, if you can't reach the 13km mark by 7:30am (2.5 hours after the 5am flag-off), you shouldn't even sign up for a marathon in the first place. Even accounting for being in the last wave, you still have at least a good 2 hours plus to get to 13km. If you were late to reach the starting point because you overslept or for whatever reason, then frankly your commitment is obviously not there.

Secondly, even if you were forced by the organisers to take a shorter route, but you still took a finisher tee & medal at the finishing line, you are still a cheat. It is no different from someone who intentionally took a shorter route.

Thirdly, as long as one does not walk at any point, no matter how slow you run, I don't see how it is physically possible to finish with a time above 6.5 hours. Even crawling at a 9min/km pace will get you there in 6h20mins. From first-hand experience of being injured (at SCMS 2013), you can limp 21km in 4 hours. So I have absolutely no idea how some people are able to get an 8 hours plus timing. Its called a marathon, not a walkathon. If you don't feel confident of being able to do the entire distance without walking, then don't sign up.

There were a group of runners running at the 6h pace. One of the runners were running with a big golden '6' balloon. They are not part of the official pacer group but there were present last yr too. I'm not sure if they come in on time cos while I did overtook them at F1 pit building, I never saw them again after I stopped for a walk break. Last yr I overtook them for a short while at ECP but again they overtook me and I never saw them again ~lol~

There were a group of runners running at the 6h pace. One of the runners were running with a big golden '6' balloon. They are not part of the official pacer group but there were present last yr too. I'm not sure if they come in on time cos while I did overtook them at F1 pit building, I never saw them again after I stopped for a walk break. Last yr I overtook them for a short while at ECP but again they overtook me and I never saw them again ~lol~

I am quite sure that the official pacer is 5hrs30...

Hmm... I just realised that there are getting fewer full marathon runners from 2011 to 2014 SCMS (based on the event booklet).

42km participants

2010: 19000

2011: 20000

2012: 17500

2013: 16100

2014: 14000

Well, it seems that it's "not more congested" for full marathon route. :P

Yes and I am also sure you are correct; which is why I say the 6hr group is not part of the official pacer group. :rolleyes2:

Yes and I am also sure you are correct; which is why I say the 6hr group is not part of the official pacer group. :rolleyes2:

This is just for the fun of it..I seen in some overseas races too. .. They just unofficially declare themselves as paces. ..haa....

Hmm... I just realised that there are getting fewer full marathon runners from 2011 to 2014 SCMS (based on the event booklet).

42km participants

And taking into account that the population has been increasing, it means an even lower % of it are participating.

42km participants

And taking into account that the population has been increasing, it means an even lower % of it are participating.

Wow. Really dropped quite a bit.

42km participants

Many just want to experience marathon for the first time and they do it once. Many serious runner stop running SCMS because it had downgrade itself into a social walking event. Just view the comment of those serious runner from FB , you know .

Oh yah, now I remember seeing that big "6" balloon that looked like a huge banana from far. No wonder I didn't see it at all despite overtaking it and crossing the finishing line at 6:02 gun time subsequently.

Many just want to experience marathon for the first time and they do it once. Many serious runner stop running SCMS because it had downgrade itself into a social walking event. Just view the comment of those serious runner from FB , you know .

I think one way the race experience can be improved is the have better defined starting zones.

Seeded/VIP(??)/under 5/over 5 is a too much of a blunt instrument. The difference between a 3hr vs 4:59hr marathoner, is much greater than that if a 5:01hr vs 7hr marathoner. Its too difficult to rely on self seeding within the sub 5hr group to ensure that everyone, serious and not so, will have a fair and pleasant experience. Faster runners wont be blocked, slower runners can do so at their own pace without blocking anyone.

It would be a good idea to publish the criteria for each group like what many overseas races do.

For example:

Seeded (approved international athletes, local elites, athletes with proven sub 2:30 for men, sub 3:00 women)

Priority (eg proven sub 2:45 men, proven sub 3:15 women)

Group 1: sub 3:30, Group 2: sub 4:30, Group 3: sub 5:30, Group 4: Sub 6:30, Group 5: above: 6:30

I think its unfortunate that the whole setup (Gold label accreditation and all) seems to be geared excessively towards the international elites vying for the prize money/TV viewers/tourism promotion, at the expense of the remaining 99+% of participants (narrow chokepoints, merging of different races causing congestion, running out of water/bananas late into race; these issues dont affect the elites at all).

There is so much more that can be improved on.

I think one way the race experience can be improved is the have better defined starting zones.

Seeded/VIP(??)/under 5/over 5 is a too much of a blunt instrument. The difference between a 3hr vs 4:59hr marathoner, is much greater than that if a 5:01hr vs 7hr marathoner. Its too difficult to rely on self seeding within the sub 5hr group to ensure that everyone, serious and not so, will have a fair and pleasant experience. Faster runners wont be blocked, slower runners can do so at their own pace without blocking anyone.

It would be a good idea to publish the criteria for each group like what many overseas races do.

For example:

Seeded (approved international athletes, local elites, athletes with proven sub 2:30 for men, sub 3:00 women)

Priority (eg proven sub 2:45 men, proven sub 3:15 women)

Group 1: sub 3:30, Group 2: sub 4:30, Group 3: sub 5:30, Group 4: Sub 6:30, Group 5: above: 6:30

I think its unfortunate that the whole setup (Gold label accreditation and all) seems to be geared excessively towards the international elites vying for the prize money/TV viewers/tourism promotion, at the expense of the remaining 99+% of participants (narrow chokepoints, merging of different races causing congestion, running out of water/bananas late into race; these issues dont affect the elites at all).

There is so much more that can be improved on.

something like tht has been done before and it flopped. starting pen based on finishing time. The problem with it is, there is nothing to check or verify.

As for elites runners, they are automatically ushered to the front as long as they reach the race site before start time. As for those sub 3hrs runners, they r serious runners. They will head down to race site at least 2hrs before start time to warm up and to Q up at start pen to ensure they are right at the front of the pack.

something like tht has been done before and it flopped. starting pen based on finishing time. The problem with it is, there is nothing to check or verify.

As for elites runners, they are automatically ushered to the front as long as they reach the race site before start time. As for those sub 3hrs runners, they r serious runners. They will head down to race site at least 2hrs before start time to warm up and to Q up at start pen to ensure they are right at the front of the pack.

When was it done before and how did it flop?

Outside of the seeded/priority pens (where proven times are required), it is probably unnecessary to make runners prove themselves with previous official times.

Of course this means there is a reliance on a certain level of honesty among the runners. If it works in marathons elsewhere, why cant it work in Singapore?

Unless the reality is that there is a significant proportion of participants who would lie about their abilities, or at best, have such poor awareness of their capabilities when registering for a start pen.

One simple improvement to race experience - do away with the no brainer and boring to-and-fro 17km loop of East Coast Park ! Make the route so that there is not u-turn !

Those runners' BIB will be marked with blue (i.e. bus) marker pen mark by bus driver who have indeed ran 35km and were pick up by sweep bus and will be awarded with finisher tee stamped with a small bus icon.

Those way too slow runners' BIB who were routed to shorter path will be marked with red pen by divert road marshal and will not be given finisher tee!

Those runners' BIB will be marked with blue (i.e. bus) marker pen mark by bus driver who have indeed ran 35km and were pick up by sweep bus and will be awarded with finisher tee stamped with a small bus icon.

Those way too slow runners' BIB who were routed to shorter path will be marked with red pen by divert road marshal and will not be given finisher tee!

Good idea. Instead, to show "appreciation" as the organizers would like to, give them some other momento. The momento could be designed to encourage them to try again next year.