Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

Need to run fast to get the finishe tee size I want. Hahahaah! Else my size will be run out

Speaking of this. I was surprised that when I come back around 1230, the L size has run out but M was still available. Usually its the other way round. But luckily M fits me well.

So many plus size runners at SCMS?? :lolu:

My suggestion: organiser sud redesign another Real Finisher Tshirt that only those with finishing certificate can claim. But must b Adidas n not Br...s.

This youtube video?

Dunno to laugh or cry when I saw it lolz.. they looked like they were having fun anyway.

[/quote

From the video, you can see people walking leow just after 10km...

This youtube video?

Dunno to laugh or cry when I saw it lolz.. they looked like they were having fun anyway.

:unknw: duno what to say...but y in the end got ice cream? was it provided? :shok:

This youtube video?

The video shows just after 10km....you can see people walking leow...

In the tv broadcast, I saw some participants already walking on esplanade bridge. That's like barely 4km? They were strolling.

This youtube video?

[/quote

From the video, you can see people walking leow just after 10km...

at least he made it to 35km mark...

if you are among the tail, you can already see people walking after 1-2km... that how they made it to be diverted at 12km i think. haha

Maybe he only runs when he is recording ? The rest of the time he should be walking...

In one clip u can actually see the last runner cycling marshal talking to him...

All these runs are different things to different people. I think there are many who are not serious runners. Among your friends/colleagues and when you go on your runs, how many people do you see pounding on the streets regularly? Not many.... but the crowds at these runs are mind-boggling.

One teacher used to tell us that nowadays if you throw a coin in the food court, it is likely to hit a graduate. I think the same came be said about your coin hitting a "marathoner".

g18, on 12 Dec 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

All these runs are different things to different people. I think there are many who are not serious runners. Among your friends/colleagues and when you go on your runs, how many people do you see pounding on the streets regularly? Not many.... but the crowds at these runs are mind-boggling.

This has been my observation as well. It seems that there are many who do not run regularly, but wouldn't think twice about signing up for the full marathon every year, then walking the entire course . I wonder why this is so?

While SCMS doesn't particularly have a very large entry field (compared to the World Marathon Majors, Marine Corp marathon etc), judging from the average times, the performance of the participants are generally poor.

The warmer climate in Singapore definitely plays a part, but surely if you're already walking 7km into a FM, going for a pohpiah break, chilling in the exercise station etc, you're not at all serious.

According to simonleng's stats, the median finish time at SCMS is 6 - 6:30 hrs

http://mrnmrsrunthetown.blogspot.sg/2014/12/unofficial-analyzing-scms-14.html

Compare this to the US stats from 2002 to present http://www.runningusa.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=news.details&ArticleId=332

where median times for men are in the low 4hrs, and for women in the high 4hrs. (and these are stats from large sample sizes, 400+k to 541k finishers in 2013 in the US).

Has a culture developed where people join events just to say they did it/collect tshirts+medals, as opposed to doing it for the passion of running?

g18, on 12 Dec 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

This has been my observation as well. It seems that there are many who do not run regularly, but wouldn't think twice about signing up for the full marathon every year, then walking the entire course . I wonder why this is so?

While SCMS doesn't particularly have a very large entry field (compared to the World Marathon Majors, Marine Corp marathon etc), judging from the average times, the performance of the participants are generally poor.

The warmer climate in Singapore definitely plays a part, but surely if you're already walking 7km into a FM, going for a pohpiah break, chilling in the exercise station etc, you're not at all serious.

According to simonleng's stats, the median finish time at SCMS is 6 - 6:30 hrs

http://mrnmrsrunthetown.blogspot.sg/2014/12/unofficial-analyzing-scms-14.html

Compare this to the US stats from 2002 to present http://www.runningusa.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=news.details&ArticleId=332

where median times for men are in the low 4hrs, and for women in the high 4hrs. (and these are stats from large sample sizes, 400+k to 541k finishers in 2013 in the US).

Has a culture developed where people join events just to say they did it/collect tshirts+medals, as opposed to doing it for the passion of running?

all boils down to the long cut-off hours (have never heard of 8hrs cut-off except in Singapore.. SCMKL is 6 hrs, GCAM is 6hours 40mins at finish point).. and now the diversion which entitles them to the finisher tees and medals..

I think printing your finisher time on your finisher tee as what introduced in 2009 SCSM by New Balance is a good idea !

Another faster way is to stamp a color (black below 3 hours, green below 4 hours and etc) or type of animal (cheetah below 3 hours, horse below 4 hours...snail 7 hours and above) on the allocated place at the back of the finisher tee immediately after the race !

Oh ya, I think I should I should engrave my wristband with my timing. ;)

all boils down to the long cut-off hours (have never heard of 8hrs cut-off except in Singapore.. SCMKL is 6 hrs, GCAM is 6hours 40mins at finish point).. and now the diversion which entitles them to the finisher tees and medals..

Honolulu marathon: No cut-off time (according to the website). Basically you can just walk that 42km the whole day.

Honolulu marathon: No cut-off time (according to the website). Basically you can just walk that 42km the whole day.

that's a first for me.. the walkers should really take a look at that marathon! somemore can go shopping if they pass by the shopping areas! hahah..

I think the issue of not having water at hydration points for slower runners deserves more attention that this.

Benlhy is right. This is definitely one basic issue this year's SCMS is also drawing flak for.

Having this to happen at the last 7km stretch and at two water stations is totally unacceptable.

that's a first for me.. the walkers should really take a look at that marathon! somemore can go shopping if they pass by the shopping areas! hahah..

Ya, I glance through last year results, and there are a few that took 19+ hours to complete (based on chip time). :o

I find it depressing that there are continued calls for the cut off time to be lowered. If those called are answered and if one day my home marathon is an event that I could not participate in (if I want to) then it would be really sad. Frankly I'm not convinced that lowering the cutoff time is the solution. It may seem like an easy fix but would it really solve many of the problems that cropped up at SCMS14?

Our soceity as it is has been increasingly polarising in recent yrs - economically and politically. I always thought that running is a sports that can transcend such artificial boundaries; but I was naive and probably too idealistic.

Though I am relatively new to running, I have been in it long enough and have joined enough races to know that sadly where human interaction is concerned, you cannot escape different groups of people with different competing objectives, interests and motivations. If everyone just take a deep breadth and a step back and give each other space, I'm sure there is an arrangement or plan that will meet most of the competing needs.

But if one group starts to clamour and demand only for their interest, then it would be hard for any resolution to take place.

In this aspect,I am in agreement with Lonewolf that lowering the cut off timing is not going to address the problem of the hiccups experience for this year's SCMS.

The problems surfaced for this SCMS are race logistics (no banana, no gel, last 2 stations out of water), poor communication to race participants (use of twitter to announce no banana on race day, rerouting of runners only made much clearer after a blog post and these rerouted runners get their medal and finisher tees). These problems snowballed together cause a huge dissatisfaction for this year's SCMS.

To me, SCMS can still continue its event appeal as "mass participation" bearing in mind these factors to make it an event worth the participation from start to the end (I keep it short):

1) Smooth, fast race pack collection with quality race pack items. I was appalled at this year's SCMS race pack items. :thumbsd: Contrast this to SCSM days which had better race pack items instead. Have a look at SCMS 2007 race pack items photos (click here).

2) Baggage deposit and collection process to be much better managed

3) Food and water stations to be adequately supplied (not acceptable for an IAAF gold label event to have this surface)

4) Running route that makes it uniquely Singapore and also spacious to accommodate race participants if possible.

5) After race completion, finisher tee/medal/food/drink collection should be made easy for race participants as they would have been worn out from the event by then.

With regards to the race organiser issuing finisher medals/tees to rerouted/diverted runners who didn't do the full marathon distance, this has been discussed until to the extent of flogging a dead horse. These rerouted runners will also know that they didn't do the full distance as they won't be given the participation e-certificate.

In summary, race organiser needs to get back to the basics of organising a race with quality experience for pre/actual/post race. If reference is needed, take a look at how World Marathon Majors, overseas running events are executed.

Based on our climate condition, i would suggest that cut-off time be as follows:

1. 10km: 2hrs

2. 21km: 4hrs

3. 42km: 6.5hrs.

There should be rolling cut-off time been clearly marked at each cut-off point. Runner that has not pass each cut-off point will be sweep up to facilitate cleanup and road opening. Otherwise, volunteer will be demoralised with long hours there.

A lot of ppl do not understand that marathon is a long j0urney rather than aiming for the medal or T-shirt.

I found a critical fault (life & death matter) with the route design, there is no specific lane for emergency vehicles. For HM, i saw an Ambulance stop in lane 2 of AYE to attend a runner.

Based on our climate condition, i would suggest that cut-off time be as follows:

There should be rolling cut-off time been clearly marked at each cut-off point. Runner that has not pass each cut-off point will be sweep up to facilitate cleanup and road opening. Otherwise, volunteer will be demoralised with long hours there.

A lot of ppl do not understand that marathon is a long j0urney rather than aiming for the medal or T-shirt.

I found a critical fault (life & death matter) with the route design, there is no specific lane for emergency vehicles. For HM, i saw an Ambulance stop in lane 2 of AYE to attend a runner.

IMO, 6.5 hours is quite fast for some people. I think 8 is fine, just as long as the cut-off timings for each section of the race route are clearly communicated.

Example: Tokyo Marathon 2014 runner's booklet page 5 http://www.tokyo42195.org/2014en/sanka/pdf/runner_handbook.pdf

From what I heard, these timings are also clearly shown on the route itself. Therefore, the organizers can save the headache of diversion and also save on costs of blocking the road for too long.

I agree with the 8hrs cut off as 6.5hrs is too fast for the humid and hot Singapore weather. Gold Coast also 6plus hrs cutoff but weather is way way cooler..

The organiser could add one more check box to the race application form especially for full marathon. It would state that 'I am fully aware of the cut off times at each checkpoint *see pdf guide or map for timings and that these checkpoints will be closed as a accordingly to the timeings. Runners who failed to meet the maximum allowance time in each checkpoint will have their race stopped and wait for shuttle bus...' etc

though some ppl might blindly check the boxes but still, it can make ppl realise the potential of begin DNF in a race.

only after you tick to agree, in the checkbox then you can go to payment mode.

And of course the biggest issue will be...up to organiser to REALLY FOLLOW the cut off times and not suka suka divert the course.

how about having a wristband issued to us at the checkpoints, and in order to collect the medal n shirt at the end, need to produce all the wristbands to exchange

And of course the biggest issue will be...up to organiser to REALLY FOLLOW the cut off times and not suka suka divert the course.

Based on my own experience they do not do it this yr. But one can always be hopeful.

how about having a wristband issued to us at the checkpoints, and in order to collect the medal n shirt at the end, need to produce all the wristbands to exchange

OMG! That would a logistical nightmare. Can u imagine if they run out of wristband? But its seems a bit anal to do something manual when you have a electronic timing bib and mat that is supposed to do the same thing.

IMO, 6.5 hours is quite fast for some people. I think 8 is fine, just as long as the cut-off timings for each section of the race route are clearly communicated.

Example: Tokyo Marathon 2014 runner's booklet page 5 http://www.tokyo42195.org/2014en/sanka/pdf/runner_handbook.pdf

From what I heard, these timings are also clearly shown on the route itself. Therefore, the organizers can save the headache of diversion and also save on costs of blocking the road for too long.

Anyway, running past 12pm, sure die 1 with the heat.

It might be too fast for some ppl. But we also must be considerate to those volunteer who is manning the entire route. They have harder work than us running the entire route.