Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

This youtube video?

Dunno to laugh or cry when I saw it lolz.. they looked like they were having fun anyway.

This youtube video?

Dunno to laugh or cry when I saw it lolz.. they looked like they were having fun anyway.

Same reaction...

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/stanchart-marathon/1523400.html

Response from the Organiser on the diversion of route.

"Spectrum Worldwide says it is aware of feedback and will take it into consideration when planning 2015's edition of the race........."

So next year's SCMS will be organized by them again....same event organizer means there won't be much changes/improvements made to the run.........same old s*** again....

I support your post too !

I walked from 18km till finish line also still within cut-off time.

Can't really imagine those being sweeped, did they really run a fair bit at a reasonable pace for a FM distance ?

Anyway since the organizer outright will ferry them in air con bus to finish line & collect Finisher Tee & Medal, nothing wrong that it attracts another mentality group of runners.

Kcslchin, I support your post!!! SCMS has really degrade to a BIG WALK

Hi guys

Just curious... Anyone knows what happened to Mok Ying Rong?

Thought she was the fave for top local female marathoner, but don't see her name in the top few finishers...

Another SCMS related article, on a not so serious mode..

http://mothership.sg/2014/12/13-things-sporean-marathoners-ought-to-look-forward-to-besides-a-medal-and-finishers-t-shirt/

P/S: the guy who took 4 cups of water to splash on himself really made me lolz..

eh.. it's 5.. hahaha..

Oh yah, 5 cups of water! :startle:

Okay, the saga continues..

Another Straits Time report here: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sport/more-sport-stories/story/furore-over-rewards-non-finishers-standard-chartered-marathon-20#xtor=CS1-10

"Spectrum Worldwide says it is aware of feedback and will take it into consideration when planning 2015's edition of the race........."

So next year's SCMS will be organized by them again....same event organizer means there won't be much changes/improvements made to the run.........same old s*** again....

The then Singapore Sports Council (now Sports Singapore) called a tender for an event organiser to organise Singapore Marathon in 2013 and it was awarded to Spectrum Worldwide. The contract is for 4 years from 2013 and will run till 2016.

[ SOURCE ]

Personally I am hopeful that with all the spotlight on some of the decision that was made, SWW will improve and do something about it. Just like last yr, after the timing issue, things improved this yr. And the HM runners were diverted away so as not to merge with the bulk of the FM and 10K runners.

Like I said, these have probably being going on for years; it just that Chris' blog really capitulated the issue into the open and created all these furore. If that post has not being made I dun think many of us would know about the slower runners being diverted at the 13K mark.

So now that the can of worms has been opened and so widely reported and discussed, I'm sure Sports Singapore will not be happy at the way things are being handled and hopefully changes will be made.

Anyway the race is done, the cow has come home and the finisher teeshirt and medals issued, so why continue flogging a dead horse? Let's move on and look forward to the next race.

ehhhh.... anyone remember how many years the FM and HM was running together before they finally decided to split the 2 groups away?

ehhhh.... anyone remember how many years the FM and HM was running together before they finally decided to split the 2 groups away?

From what I can see from the SCSM and SCMS race routes I have, since back in 2003! :startle: But the numbers were probably smaller in those days that maybe it wasn't too much of an issue?

If you talked about recent years, then at least since 2010.

From what I can see from the SCSM and SCMS race routes I have, since back in 2003! :startle: But the numbers were probably smaller in those days that maybe it wasn't too much of an issue?

If you talked about recent years, then at least since 2010.

hmmm... so u think things will improve for scms15? :)

Should improve bah....cos there will be even smaller number of locals and overseas particpants joining !

So easier to handle.

I think the issue of not having water at hydration points for slower runners deserves more attention that this.

Hi all, new forum user here.

I think the problem is that the cut-offs were not communicated clearly enough to be participants.

The only mention of it is in the FAQs section of the website. It is not published in the race guide book.

To be fair to the organizers, they did what they said they would. Cutoffs were enforced, and diverted runners received Finisher’s T-shirts and medals as stated.

What happens when I’m still in the midst of the race after the eight (8) hour cut off mark?

For Marathon participants who are unlikely to finish the race within eight hours, race officials and route marshals will divert them at designated diversion points along the race route, to a shorter race route towards the finish gantry.

For the safety of the participants, they must obey as instructed; otherwise they will be pulled off the race course immediately.

Will I still receive the Finisher’s T-shirt, Finisher’s Medal and Finisher’s certificate after the eight (8) hour cut off mark?

Full Marathon participants who are diverted to the shorter route will still be entitled to receive the Finisher’s T-shirt and Finisher’s Medal upon crossing the finish line.

However, they will not receive the Finisher’s Certificate and their race timings will not be recorded as they will be deemed disqualified (DQ).

One thing they could have done better was to clearly publish the cut-off times at each checkpoint: eg 5km by 6:30am, 10km by 7:25am etc, and the minimum pace required to keep within the cutoffs (this could be stated on the website, race guide, and even on the actual route). Therefore, it won’t come as a shock to the slower participants when they get diverted. This is standard for the 2 marathons I’ve taken part in, Sydney and Gold Coast.

http://goldcoastmarathon.com.au/enter/cut-off-policy/

http://www.sydneyrunningfestival.com.au/enter/blackmores-sydney-marathon/marathon-cut-redirection-points

Regarding the unhappiness over the diverted runners getting finisher’s t-shirts and medals, I think it stems from a uniquely Singaporean phenomenon, to like to “hao lian” the t-shirt, and as such egos get bruised when the supposed less deserving runners receive these items as well.

Ultimately, personal pride from completing and doing well in the event should triumph these tokens of participation. If I took part, ran the full distance to the best of my abilities, the medal/t-shirt is a mere reminder of my efforts that day. What others did or didn’t shouldn’t really have an impact on me.

I think the problem is that the cut-offs were not communicated clearly enough to be participants.

The only mention of it is in the FAQs section of the website. It is not published in the race guide book.

To be fair to the organizers, they did what they said they would. Cutoffs were enforced, and diverted runners received Finishers T-shirts and medals as stated.

What happens when Im still in the midst of the race after the eight (8) hour cut off mark?

For Marathon participants who are unlikely to finish the race within eight hours, race officials and route marshals will divert them at designated diversion points along the race route, to a shorter race route towards the finish gantry.

For the safety of the participants, they must obey as instructed; otherwise they will be pulled off the race course immediately.

Will I still receive the Finishers T-shirt, Finishers Medal and Finishers certificate after the eight (8) hour cut off mark?

Full Marathon participants who are diverted to the shorter route will still be entitled to receive the Finishers T-shirt and Finishers Medal upon crossing the finish line.

However, they will not receive the Finishers Certificate and their race timings will not be recorded as they will be deemed disqualified (DQ).

One thing they could have done better was to clearly publish the cut-off times at each checkpoint: eg 5km by 6:30am, 10km by 7:25am etc, and the minimum pace required to keep within the cutoffs (this could be stated on the website, race guide, and even on the actual route). Therefore, it wont come as a shock to the slower participants when they get diverted. This is standard for the 2 marathons Ive taken part in, Sydney and Gold Coast.

http://www.sydneyrunningfestival.com.au/enter/blackmores-sydney-marathon/marathon-cut-redirection-points

Regarding the unhappiness over the diverted runners getting finishers t-shirts and medals, I think it stems from a uniquely Singaporean phenomenon, to like to hao lian the t-shirt, and as such egos get bruised when the supposed less deserving runners receive these items as well.

Ultimately, personal pride from completing and doing well in the event should triumph these tokens of participation. If I took part, ran the full distance to the best of my abilities, the medal/t-shirt is a mere reminder of my efforts that day. What others did or didnt shouldnt really have an impact on me.

".. stems from a uniquely Singaporean phenomenon, to like to hao lian ..." -> this is a blanket statement, not all runners like to hao lian.

To be fair to the organizers, they did what they said they would. Cutoffs were enforced, and diverted runners received Finishers T-shirts and medals as stated.

What happens when Im still in the midst of the race after the eight (8) hour cut off mark?

Will I still receive the Finishers T-shirt, Finishers Medal and Finishers certificate after the eight (8) hour cut off mark?

Full Marathon participants who are diverted to the shorter route will still be entitled to receive the Finishers T-shirt and Finishers Medal upon crossing the finish line.

However, they will not receive the Finishers Certificate and their race timings will not be recorded as they will be deemed disqualified (DQ).

One thing they could have done better was to clearly publish the cut-off times at each checkpoint: eg 5km by 6:30am, 10km by 7:25am etc, and the minimum pace required to keep within the cutoffs (this could be stated on the website, race guide, and even on the actual route). Therefore, it wont come as a shock to the slower participants when they get diverted. This is standard for the 2 marathons Ive taken part in, Sydney and Gold Coast.

Regarding the unhappiness over the diverted runners getting finishers t-shirts and medals, I think it stems from a uniquely Singaporean phenomenon, to like to hao lian the t-shirt, and as such egos get bruised when the supposed less deserving runners receive these items as well.

Ultimately, personal pride from completing and doing well in the event should triumph these tokens of participation. If I took part, ran the full distance to the best of my abilities, the medal/t-shirt is a mere reminder of my efforts that day. What others did or didnt shouldnt really have an impact on me.

".. stems from a uniquely Singaporean phenomenon, to like to hao lian ..." -> this is a blanket statement, not all runners like to hao lian.

I don't find it wrong if someone wants to "hao lian" his trophy if he or she earns it through the hard way. I admit it started out as a form of "hao lian" for me also when I started off my first FM. Hence can understand how it feels when wearing it out. But now it also serves as a more important reminder to me... Better train harder for next year and stop slacking or else there is no new finisher tee to hao lian ! Haha

At least it is something that had motivated me throughout the years to come to now... From the 5km to 10km to 21km and finally 42km.

At least it is something that had motivated me throughout the years to come to now... From the 5km to 10km to 21km and finally 42km.

agreed... it keeps me going.. for that elusive shirt after every race..

I think printing your finisher time on your finisher tee as what introduced in 2009 SCSM by New Balance is a good idea !

Another faster way is to stamp a color (black below 3 hours, green below 4 hours and etc) or type of animal (cheetah below 3 hours, horse below 4 hours...snail 7 hours and above) on the allocated place at the back of the finisher tee immediately after the race !