Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

The exposure on diversion for the slow runners seem to be blew out of the scale.... (i think) e whole thread of SCM consist mainly abt this rather than post race expereince.... :rolleyes2:

That's also part of the scms experience mah. Every year got something to complain. Hahaha

By the way, did anyone engrave their race timings on their wristband after their run? I'm wondering what the quality of engraving is like.

By the way, did anyone engrave their race timings on their wristband after their run? I'm wondering what the quality of engraving is like.

speaking of the color wristbands, have all those 20 winners of adidas trainers been announced? If so, was it at the race site?

u can check out the engraving on Adidas facebook page..

my questions for those who fail the allocated time before traffic opens...

are they really slow or is it because they start late due to oversleep/traffic or other reasons that can be overcome if they act more responsibly by being committed to being on time for the run ?

my questions for those who fail the allocated time before traffic opens...

are they really slow or is it because they start late due to oversleep/traffic or other reasons that can be overcome if they act more responsibly by being committed to being on time for the run ?

even if you started at 530am, which is when the start point is closed, you still can make it past the diverted point they mentioned if one is serious about the event when signing up for it. respect the event and requirements i would say.

whatever the case, the diverted point is too early in the race distance in my view but i'm not in such organizing team, so i don't know what's the limitation. they may have their own reasons.

My feel is that diversion has probably being going for years; but it just that either no people spotted or nobody make a fuss until Christopher's blog post.

While it's true that we dun know the constraint faced by race orgainser, I found the pt of diversion very strange since East Coast Parkway is practically a closed circuit on its own; so there's no road other than the service road to reopen. So the concern has to be the route further down the route like Heartbreak Bridge.

If Heartbreak Bridge is the main concern, that 37+ km, so there does not seem to be any tenable reason for runners to be diverted so early. In fact, I read from comments that some runners were asked to turn back along ECP:

The race marshal were diverted many slow runners without allowing them to enter ECP, So they jumped from 12km to 31km. It happened to me, they advised us not to enter the ECP and asked us to continue from 31km .But we had a argument that we need to continue the race and they allowed us to enter the ECP. However, they put barricade and stopped us at 18km and diverted us to join the opposite site-25.5km.Even though we had argument to continue, they didn't allow us to continue. So, most of the slow runners are impacted by this. Though i wish to run full, i completed my run with 33-34km in total. The organizer should clearly communicate the stage cut-off time to runners like SCMHK, so slow runners may not register for 42km.

Why not just let this slow runner to continue to run until before turning in Heartbreak Bridge and swept them up from there? I dun think many would begrudge those who tried to run at least 88% of the FM distance for not trying.

Its not really of 'reopening' the ECP service rd as I see it. As mentioned, its rather a closed circuit till the loop-> death valley-> GBTB east-> Barage...

Could it be the closing of all of the ECP water points,first aid stations and reorg of volunteers back to Padang?

Its not really of 'reopening' the ECP service rd as I see it. As mentioned, its rather a closed circuit till the loop-> death valley-> GBTB east-> Barage...

Could it be the closing of all of the ECP water points,first aid stations and reorg of volunteers back to Padang?

Precisely because its a closed loop that I see no reason for the diversion to take place at the 13K mark.

Water points, first aid stations etc are within the control of the race organiser. Even less reason to divert based on this reason.

My feel is that diversion has probably being going for years; but it just that either no people spotted or nobody make a fuss until Christopher's blog post.

While it's true that we dun know the constraint faced by race orgainser, I found the pt of diversion very strange since East Coast Parkway is practically a closed circuit on its own; so there's no road other than the service road to reopen. So the concern has to be the route further down the route like Heartbreak Bridge.

If Heartbreak Bridge is the main concern, that 37+ km, so there does not seem to be any tenable reason for runners to be diverted so early. In fact, I read from comments that some runners were asked to turn back along ECP:

The race marshal were diverted many slow runners without allowing them to enter ECP, So they jumped from 12km to 31km. It happened to me, they advised us not to enter the ECP and asked us to continue from 31km .But we had a argument that we need to continue the race and they allowed us to enter the ECP. However, they put barricade and stopped us at 18km and diverted us to join the opposite site-25.5km.Even though we had argument to continue, they didn't allow us to continue. So, most of the slow runners are impacted by this. Though i wish to run full, i completed my run with 33-34km in total. The organizer should clearly communicate the stage cut-off time to runners like SCMHK, so slow runners may not register for 42km.

Why not just let this slow runner to continue to run until before turning in Heartbreak Bridge and swept them up from there? I dun think many would begrudge those who tried to run at least 88% of the FM distance for not trying.

May not be heartbreak bridge since they only closed one lane only what. What's the hurry?

5:30pm --> 7:30pm: 2 hours.

For full marathoners who cannot make 13 km in 2 hours, why sign up? Just jog at my slow pace of 8 mins per km (ya, dun laugh. I take about 1hr 20mins to complete 10km), also can make it within 2 hours.

Singapore marathons really for social walkers and complainers and souvenir collectors. In other countries, Malaysia, HK, Taiwan, etc; if you miss cut-off time for any checkpoint, you don't get medal or finisher tee or towel at the end. In HK, a nice air-conditioned bus will pick you at the check-point if you are late and they mark your bib.

Finish the Big 42km walk less 17km under the sun, can still collect a medal and t-shirt, still complain....*faint*

WOW...it is a good business opportunity to ask all the buibui and slow runners to sign up with Fatbird to train them...after one year confirm no short cut...hee hee

Also will get 2 finisher tees, 1 from Scms, 1 from Fatbird.

Ps» i also want to cut down my timing from 6:30h to 5:30h....how?

WOW...it is a good business opportunity to ask all the buibui and slow runners to sign up with Fatbird to train them...after one year confirm no short cut...hee hee

Also will get 2 finisher tees, 1 from Scms, 1 from Fatbird.

Ps» i also want to cut down my timing from 6:30h to 5:30h....how?

Weather cooler in Taipei. So, hopefully you can hit the checkpoints in time and finish in 330 mins or 5.5 hrs.

Otherwise, you have to follow road marshalls direction and there will be a sweeper vehicle to move runners off the roads that need to be reopened.

There is a document that sets out the timing when various roads have to reopen. You just have to beat those cut-off times at various roads.

Refer to Paragraphs 8 & 16 of the following (english) from the website: http://www.sportsnet.org.tw/20141221_web/2014_fubon_en.pdf

All the best to you!

there was another cut off time at 35km (marina barrage) go see youtube.

sweeper bus was there to pick up & drove all the way to finsh pt.

This youtube video?

Dunno to laugh or cry when I saw it lolz.. they looked like they were having fun anyway.

haha akane81, thanks for posting the video...looks fun way to run a FM and actually I like it.. least these 2 guys have fun eating popiah,taking selfies and filming.

For full marathoners who cannot make 13 km in 2 hours, why sign up? Just jog at my slow pace of 8 mins per km (ya, dun laugh. I take about 1hr 20mins to complete 10km), also can make it within 2 hours.

Singapore marathons really for social walkers and complainers and souvenir collectors. In other countries, Malaysia, HK, Taiwan, etc; if you miss cut-off time for any checkpoint, you don't get medal or finisher tee or towel at the end. In HK, a nice air-conditioned bus will pick you at the check-point if you are late and they mark your bib.

Finish the Big 42km walk less 17km under the sun, can still collect a medal and t-shirt, still complain....*faint*

fully agree on this.

objective looks like different from other countries...

I agree with you too. Many year ago, I already notice this trend. More and more runners without training joined FM. I am not laughing at those walker, I walked during FM after 25km too. If you want me to walk the first 10km, I still can finished it within 2 hours. The pace is 12 min/km. If I walk fast, the pace is around 9-11 min/km.

another statement by Spectrum Worldwide in today's news.

"Spectrum said it is aware of the feedback and will take it into consideration when planning next year’s edition. But it stood by its decision to re-route slow runners who did not meet the specified time at a diversion point along the race route to a shorter route towards the finishing line — a practice it said has been in place for “several editions” of the SCMS and is contained in the race handbook."

i think none of us blame them for the diverting.. but what can be done is to give advanced notice of the diversion..

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/stanchart-marathon/1523400.html

wow lonewolf,

ur arguement on this is strong...

I think the temperature outside in HK is much cooler than the nice air-con sweeper bus. There are also no finisher tee for races in HK, Taipei...

Additional note, for SCHKM, 21km participants must finish within 3 hours, and 10km participants must finish within 2 hours (they don't have finisher medals for those categories though, and the souvenir is not really a finisher medal). For Fubon Taipei marathon, 21km participants must finish within 3.5 hours, and 9km participants must finish within 1.5 hours.

Think Singapore marathons are rather generous in cut-off timing. Maybe the climate makes people run more slowly? :P

I think the temperature outside in HK is much cooler than the nice air-con sweeper bus. There are also no finisher tee for races in HK, Taipei...

Additional note, for SCHKM, 21km participants must finish within 3 hours, and 10km participants must finish within 2 hours (they don't have finisher medals for those categories though, and the souvenir is not really a finisher medal). For Fubon Taipei marathon, 21km participants must finish within 3.5 hours, and 9km participants must finish within 1.5 hours.

Think Singapore marathons are rather generous in cut-off timing. Maybe the climate makes people run more slowly? :P

I think it is uniquely Singapore that we have finisher tees for running events. In overseas running events, event tees shirts/vests along with souvenirs are issued instead as what Orionmiz stated. If we use Fubon Taipei Marathon & SCHKM cut off timing for SCMS, you will see many participants up the sweeper bus already :startle:

Sadly, if the mindset of "no need to train also can join" continues for SCMS, subsequent SCMS' race experience is going to be diluted by such participants. :thumbsd: