Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

I have to say this but, the people who did not complete the race and still accepted the finisher stuff are also cheaters. When one party unwittingly receives undeserved compensation and accepts it even though he/she knows it is undeserved. By accepting it as his own, he is complicit in the cheating. Sure, the burden is lesser than one of explicit cheating, but this is still cheating nonetheless, albeit you are just cheating yourself.

Anyway, the biggest blame lies with StanChart. I will not run SCMS ever again unless they wake up their idea. They have prostituted the spirit of running for race headcount and easy finishing.

Madam Xu Xiaoying, 27, one of six runners shamed on the blog, maintained her innocence, saying she was rerouted by marshals.

In between sobs, she told The Straits Times: "I passed the 12km mark but was not allowed to enter ECP. I continued running and found myself at the 31km mark."

She added: "The blog post really hurt me. I won't join this event again.

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/more-singapore-stories/story/blogger-retracts-stanchart-marathon-cheat-claim-20141210#sthash.4CUUsSc9.dpuf

I hope this incident will not stop her from participating in future races. She did not deserve the humiliation, in fact she should be given credit for even participating and attempting to lose weight. That's all I can say..

flag off for FM is 5am.. different waves.. i was in the 4th wave which started about 5.10am.. (elite - 1st, below 5hrs - 2 waves, above 5hrs - 4th wave onwards)

Alvin bro, can I just confirm on your flag off time? 4th wave was at 5:10am? I was flagged off at 5:15am and always thought it was 3rd wave(remnants of scattered blue bibs together with 1st wave red bibs?), after my last minute toilet trip. Or I sa-lah liao?

I also dun rem 2 waves for the below 5 blue bib. One for the elite. One for the blue bib (about 1-2 mins later) and one for red bib (which I was in). I crossed the start line at 5:14:13 (u can get this from yr using the formula gun time - net time + 05:00) but I was not in the front mass of red bib was probably wasn't more than 2 min from the first red bib.

I also dun rem 2 waves for the below 5 blue bib. One for the elite. One for the blue bib (about 1-2 mins later) and one for red bib (which I was in). I crossed the start line at 5:14:13 (u can get this from yr using the formula gun time - net time + 05:00) but I was not in the front mass of red bib was probably wasn't more than 2 min from the first red bib.

so we were in the same flag off lot. Next time I have to go toilet earlier else will change the 15mins of darkness to 15mins of suntan..

flag off for FM is 5am.. different waves.. i was in the 4th wave which started about 5.10am.. (elite - 1st, below 5hrs - 2 waves, above 5hrs - 4th wave onwards)

Alvin bro, can I just confirm on your flag off time? 4th wave was at 5:10am? I was flagged off at 5:15am and always thought it was 3rd wave(remnants of scattered blue bibs together with 1st wave red bibs?), after my last minute toilet trip. Or I sa-lah liao?

as verified with my friend.. wave 2 is the < 5hours.. so >5 hours is wave 3.. my time when i crossed the timing mat at start time was 5.10am..

Madam Xu Xiaoying, 27, one of six runners shamed on the blog, maintained her innocence, saying she was rerouted by marshals.

In between sobs, she told The Straits Times: "I passed the 12km mark but was not allowed to enter ECP. I continued running and found myself at the 31km mark."

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/more-singapore-stories/story/blogger-retracts-stanchart-marathon-cheat-claim-20141210#sthash.4CUUsSc9.dpuf

I hope this incident will not stop her from participating in future races. She did not deserve the humiliation, in fact she should be given credit for even participating and attempting to lose weight. That's all I can say..

this part we dunno..... i think SCMS reli takes the full blame here for doing such thing which i don't see it in the oversea races i took part in...

as verified with my friend.. wave 2 is the < 5hours.. so >5 hours is wave 3.. my time when i crossed the timing mat at start time was 5.10am..

Yes, i was in the 2nd wave for the <5h blue bibs, but my gun time and net time also 10min difference, so wave 2 was also gunned off at 5.10am?

Yes, i was in the 2nd wave for the <5h blue bibs, but my gun time and net time also 10min difference, so wave 2 was also gunned off at 5.10am?

eh.. 5.14am for the timing mat when i crossed.. 5.10am on my watch.. hahaha.. totally forgotten about the difference..

Like lonewolf bro I am also numb about cheaters. Even if there is a completely foolproof way to rid them out, there will be those who genuinely complete the run wanting to sell off their finishers (coz they don't really want them), and there will be those non particpants wanting to buy them for bragging rights.

Who is going to stop such "unethical" acts?

If it is something that nobody cannot control, why bother with them? At the end of the day it's all about one's own integrity. If one can live with bragging about what he/she did not respectfully did, then just let them live in their own world of illusion.

There is actually a very simple way: remove finisher T-shirts altogether. A digitally-signed PDF certificate will suffice for those who want recognition. For official timings, a simple email confirmation from the organizer or a website database search will do.

But of course, this will never happen because the organizers will lose revenue from the people who are in it for the superficial reasons.

It would b better if the finisher tee to be given out for those who has the finisher "certificates / confirmation" another day.

... one of six runners shamed on the blog, maintained her innocence, saying she was rerouted by marshals.

Unintentional damaged done and the author has tried to recover. Must ST need to rub salt by putting her name, age in national paper for more people to read?

... one of six runners shamed on the blog, maintained her innocence, saying she was rerouted by marshals.

Unintentional damaged done and the author has tried to recover. Must ST need to rub salt by putting her name, age in national paper for more people to read?

Read the article. I thought it's extremely unfortunate that ST chose that headline. The broader question should be on why the organizers allowed such unfair diversion practice and why it wasn't communicated beforehand to participants, whether the way the event is planned (including the porous ECP route) actually facilitate cheating, as well as the behavior of the people who do cheat.

The blog author actually helped raised a very good question regarding the integrity of the race and some of its participants and helped raised awareness about it.

I was in the third wave and as usual, many guys ran off to pee at the somerset canal after the flagoff. I saw an ah beng road marshall (not student volunteer becos different tshirt) screaming at the guys that "he" will disqualify anyone who goes off the race route... I thought that was ironic since the organiser asked slow runners to make early uturn at fort road. Dun know if the gold label will be taken away after all these hoohaa.

she only said she won't join this event again mah, so she will still join others, so don't worry.

but seriously, if one attempt to lose weight, one won't think of joining a full marathon for that purpose, right? it is like you want to learn swimming, you won't just jump into deep sea to do that when swimming pools are available. it will be meaningful if the full marathon is like a end goal after months of training.

anyway in current environment, one is easily subject to such judgement. everyone judge on our external appearance. a cruel world that we must learn how to live it.

Well . Maybe the media is somehow influenced by the organiser. god knows~~~

SCMS has really plunged big time this year

Sundown has several issues too but not as widely "publicized" compared to SCMS

I don't know why this diverting of slower runners to shorter routes story become a big story this year. I know this year Sundown Marathon also did the same thing.

I was in the third wave and as usual, many guys ran off to pee at the somerset canal after the flagoff. I saw an ah beng road marshall (not student volunteer becos different tshirt) screaming at the guys that "he" will disqualify anyone who goes off the race route... I thought that was ironic since the organiser asked slow runners to make early uturn at fort road. Dun know if the gold label will be taken away after all these hoohaa.

this happen to me during AHM 2013 at the Tanjong Rhu bottleneck.. one of the marshals was telling me "that one not correct route! cannot go!".. hey, i wasn't running for the prize money.. why should i get stuck in the bottleneck for more than 30mins..

http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-label-road-races

Information about IAAF road race label can be found here.

Bananas is not compulsory in the drinks/refreshments though...

Yup, was reading it too.;-)

And approx. distance between drinks station is 5km!?

Cannot find the clause on mandatory requirements on awards. Anyway don't think our own scms finisher medal and tee falls into category of 'awards'.

When the organisers asked the slow runners to make uturns and to proceed to the finishing line to collect their medals and tshirt, they are making modifications to the route without iaaf approval. Somemore, it is lots of distance being shaved off a full marathon distance defined by iaaf. Last, but not least, iaaf mandated that the entire route must be closed to traffic until the declared cutoff time, in scms case is 8hrs, or when the last runner cross the finishing line... So, it seems wrong for the organisers to ask people to uturn at ecp at 7.30am to open the traffic there, imho. Now, i understand why other countries are so strict to pull people off the race if they dun meet the timing at checkpoints, because the slow runners will not be considered as "in the race". It is not that i enjoy our country losing the gold label, but i think the organiser is not playing ball and charging us sky high fees.

Like lonewolf bro I am also numb about cheaters. Even if there is a completely foolproof way to rid them out, there will be those who genuinely complete the run wanting to sell off their finishers (coz they don't really want them), and there will be those non particpants wanting to buy them for bragging rights.

Who is going to stop such "unethical" acts?

If it is something that nobody cannot control, why bother with them? At the end of the day it's all about one's own integrity. If one can live with bragging about what he/she did not respectfully did, then just let them live in their own world of illusion.

There is actually a very simple way: remove finisher T-shirts altogether. A digitally-signed PDF certificate will suffice for those who want recognition. For official timings, a simple email confirmation from the organizer or a website database search will do.

But of course, this will never happen because the organizers will lose revenue from the people who are in it for the superficial reasons.

It would b better if the finisher tee to be given out for those who has the finisher "certificates / confirmation" another day.

I think one problem with the idea of the non-immediate issuing of finisher tees or medals is the fact that SCMS is frequented by overseas participants who travel to Singapore just for the race.

Furthermore, even if this was done, having a separate collection not on race day would incur additional logistical demands as well. Imagine having to travel to a separate venue on a separate date and queue just to collect the race tee - that would probably generate many more complaints.

The exposure on diversion for the slow runners seem to be blew out of the scale.... (i think) e whole thread of SCM consist mainly abt this rather than post race expereince.... :rolleyes2: