Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

True. Then those who skipped the ECP section and got timing under 8 hrs are entitled to certificate whilst those completed 42k but clocked above 8 hrs do not get ???!!!

@lonewolf,

U was diverted by the offical? how did they divert the crowd ? It was a wild guess... could be the injury rate be one of the factor to have such early diversion ?? I noticed quite a few ambulance around and encountered quite a few lot of runners stop and seek medical aid at the tents...

The diversion was carried out quite seamlessly after we came off Heartbreak Bridge. Basically Raffles Ave was opened to traffic and you just followed the hordes towards the direction of the F1 pit building.

Our diversion before the 40K was not for safety reason as our distance was not shortened. It was done to open the road for traffic before the scheduled time of 2.30pm. Why? Only the race organiser knows and frankly I cant be bother to ask them why.

The race is done and over. And all things considered, I think it was an OK race for me. Definitely not the worst race of the year for me.

So u mean even if we don't see the 40km & 41km distance marker we still have had ran the full distance as what other faster runners did?[/quote

I find it abit strange if they mentioned cut off is 8 hours & they start to change or open up the original route at 6hrs plus at close to 40km, knowing there are still quite a handful runners approaching there at that timing... Usually I thought they would open up the stretch of road when most runners would have passed that road... If not they should have just mentioned cut off for FM is 6 hrs...

Just my 2 cents worth

One of the ways to stop cheaters...

No more issuing finisher tee.

You need to pay for it with no DNF or DQtiming only after 3 days at the retail shop at discount price.

Keep FM registeration fee low, like $50.

Just like Fubon marathon...only event singlet. HM signed up gone before FM.

Cut off time 5。5hrs for Fm. No medals, no timing recorded after that...

Wah the proposed cut off time is tough leh. How many first timers can do this timing.

I got to agree with wondefulblevic here. Although I am in favour of a cut off timing, but 5 hours for SCMS participants would be too tough for mass participation.

Don't forget like what lonewolf mentioned in post 1251, we all need to start from somewhere and setting the barrier entry too high is going to be discouraging for them.

And i'm one of those who finished at 7hr+ too.. i got injured weeks before the race and the idea of skipping the race crossed my mind many times. Eventually i decided to take it as a personal challenge, totally disregard the time issue and just utilize the 8 hours cut off time. I was happy to cross the finish line even though it was physically and mentally challenging, the feeling was amazing, even better than my maiden marathon.

For those who feel that we should have a stricter cut off time, I respect your opinions and i guess you have no issue meeting those timings. But people like me will have no chance of making it to a marathon anymore as it will be a race for the elite and good runners.

1 of the days eon ago, i did not train enough. I told myself if i start walking before 21km, i will just take bus home.

At KM 17, i started walking. I took out EZ-Link card & took bus home.

I was nvr a fast runner. PB for FM is 5 hrs 11 mins.

So u mean even if we don't see the 40km & 41km distance marker we still have had ran the full distance as what other faster runners did?

Like I said, they set up another timing mat just before the float to act as proxy for the 40K timing mat we would missed along Raffles Ave. I did a manual plot of the diverted route I ran and it measured 42.8 so it was more than FM distance.

Just thinking to give "real" constructive feedback on their online Post Event Survey (https://www.engage.repucom.net) but received this message :

The study you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. Please try again later.

They sent out a corrected link in a separate e-mail. This should work: https://www.engage.repucom.net/S.aspx?s=994&r=6zd5jA242OA0Bv5Mf596wH&so=true&a=1160&fromdetect=1

It's so interesting that the issue of rats would inevitable cropped up at every SCMS, I'm a little surprised that the issue seems to be the overwhelming hot topic this year; which is ironic when a rat 'won' last yr and created a bigger ripple. I believe that the weather probably caused more to become rats though they may not have necessarily set out to be one.

Maybe I'm cynical or just a little numbed by rats. Personally I dun really care about them but its a bit unsettling to find these people being ranked as 'finished' and included in the ranking. And who know how many there are. With the detailed split timings that they keep, it should be trivial for the system to exclude those who skipped check points. Almost all races I attended do this, so I dun know why SCMS doesn't. I thought they did it in previous years, so again maybe the new timing system they used included which is really strange.

So what about those who encountered genuine technical issues? #1 they should have more faith in their timing system #2 the timing is likely to tell the story of those who encountered glitch and the rats.

So I agree that its likely that with the high profile technical failure last yr, organiser could not afford a repeat of the problem and may have choose the lesser of the two evils.

Another thing that strike me reading through the comments here that even in our small community here in sgrunners, we can't agree what SCMS should be. Should it be an event just for the elites and competent serious runners (impose stricter cut-off, prove of timing, restrict no of runners, remove 10K etc) or an event for every man who has a dream of completing a marathon?

Personally, I think it will be a very sad day for Singapore running if our local marque event impose strict race entry restriction like race timing. Entering a marathon is a logical end game for those of us who picked up running and started entering races. With such restrictions many would never be able to run their maiden FM at SCMS.

Those of us who ran our maiden FM at SCMS or SCSM (there are 191 of us here from 2006-13) would always remember that feeling when we crossed that finish line. Think about it, do we really want to deprive the dream of others who has the passion and drive to reach for it and to do what is difficult but not impossible? Should we be so intolerant of a little crowding now that we had moved on, progressed and become multiple FMs finisher that we should now be asking for restrictions so that we can have a better race experience? Or scorned at others for turning the race into a walking event.

Its an issue that will always come up and one that will not have an answer. But I suppose as in life, in any community when group of people congregate, such thinking and behaviour are almost inevitable. And frankly how we behave and treat each other is merely a reflection of ourselves and our characters.

I guess with that there does not really seems to be a need to talk about my race experience from the prospective of a 7h+ finisher; but it was an interesting one nevertheless.

This rats topic have been discussed over and over again after every marathon.

Other serious runners would also ask for a cut off, saying those that didn't train disrespect the distance, push for lower cut-off etc .. yada yada yada.

After doing a few marathons, I would think, a race is a race, if the participant sees it as one.

afterall, running a marathon is a challenge to oneself. If there are others who want to cheat, let them be. They got no pride, no integrity, their problem. They probably lie lower on the kohlberg's stages of moral development scale. If some people want to form a camera crew group to catch rats (since we got soooo many facebook photographers nowadays ..) then maybe they can go ahead ..

As for lower cut-off, wouldn't that deprive first-timers a chance to finish a marathon?

Different people have different bodies and capabilities and goals, just like uncle chan. Not everyone can hit sub-5, not everyone is aiming to hit sub-5 too. Live and let live. Let it be a marathon for all.

I just hope runners have better running etiquette. If you KNOW you are out to slow jog/walk, then keep left and start at the back of the pen.

One of the ways to stop cheaters...

No more issuing finisher tee.

You need to pay for it with no DNF or DQtiming only after 3 days at the retail shop at discount price.

Keep FM registeration fee low, like $50.

Just like Fubon marathon...only event singlet. HM signed up gone before FM.

Cut off time 5。5hrs for Fm. No medals, no timing recorded after that...

Wah the proposed cut off time is tough leh. How many first timers can do this timing.

I got to agree with wondefulblevic here. Although I am in favour of a cut off timing, but 5 hours for SCMS participants would be too tough for mass participation.

Don't forget like what lonewolf mentioned in post 1251, we all need to start from somewhere and setting the barrier entry too high is going to be discouraging for them.

And i'm one of those who finished at 7hr+ too.. i got injured weeks before the race and the idea of skipping the race crossed my mind many times. Eventually i decided to take it as a personal challenge, totally disregard the time issue and just utilize the 8 hours cut off time. I was happy to cross the finish line even though it was physically and mentally challenging, the feeling was amazing, even better than my maiden marathon.

For those who feel that we should have a stricter cut off time, I respect your opinions and i guess you have no issue meeting those timings. But people like me will have no chance of making it to a marathon anymore as it will be a race for the elite and good runners.

1 of the days eon ago, i did not train enough. I told myself if i start walking before 21km, i will just take bus home.

At KM 17, i started walking. I took out EZ-Link card & took bus home.

I was nvr a fast runner. PB for FM is 5 hrs 11 mins.

Your PB looks fast to me cos i'm a snail runner :phew:

Different strategy I guess.. to me giving up is not an option unless I cant walk anymore.

nice read on your review of the race lonewolf..can definitely relate to some it, I finished 6 hrs plus...

same sentiments on contemplating whether to participate scms next year as well

I've already signed up for sundown FM next year though, much easier for me to run at night since I always train at night

nice read on your review of the race lonewolf..can definitely relate to some it, I finished 6 hrs plus...

I've already signed up for sundown FM next year though, much easier for me to run at night since I always train at night

Just beware of the humidity....

Just thinking to give "real" constructive feedback on their online Post Event Survey (https://www.engage.repucom.net) but received this message :

The study you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. Please try again later.
This is my 9th SCSM/SCMS full marathon and the virtual gels station@23 km and virtual banana station@29 km caused me first time suffered real "hunger" and mild stomach pain and caused me unable to break my 2012 PB since I did an negative split time (i.e to run stronger after the half way) ! :bad:
I've confidence on two races (SCMS and Sundown marathon) so far that always complement me two gels (or one gel one banana) on top of my own three gels energy strategy (first before the race start, second at 9 km, third at 18 km) and two more (mercy of organizer) at 27 km and 36 km. It has worked for 14 FMs and failed this time (15th. FM).
Thank you again to the generous lady for her one piece "life saving" middle-east date at 30 km otherwise I may collapsed before the real gel station@36 km !

I just did the survey this morning , seems like 30-40% of the questions were asking abt sponsors..like who were the sponsors of the event, the organizers, view of stand chart bank after the race event

Just beware of the humidity....

True that, next yr will be my 3rd year doing FM at Sundown, not that the race is organize well (no where as good as 2xu imo)..but at least its better than the sun lol

nice read on your review on HM as well AutumnRunner..might consider HM next year for a change for the scenic race route at sentosa

http://runningsucks.blogspot.sg/2014/12/an-apology-standard-chartered-marathon.html?m=1

"That post has attracted a lot of attention including calls from reporter and even a lawyer purporting to act for one of the individual in the post."

Wah. One of the runners is so rich . Actually engage a lawyer.

Interesting the scms organizers don't use sweeper bus system but allow runners to take shorter route and still allow to collect medal and finisher tee. If that's the case, isn't this a legal way that people with no intentions of finishing the entire distance can do the same next year? Don't even need to hide. Just start strolling from the start and make sure you don't meet the first cut off point timing. Voila!

extracted from runningsucks.blogspot.sg :

Actually, these runners "cheated" unwittingly. I also nearly saved 18 km but by detoured from the 31 kmmarker back to ECP.

From my friend Jasmine, also a Race Supervisor/Marshaller:

Hahaha...cos route diversion after 7.30am as roads needed to be opened soon...so route was diverted to run into MCE bypassing ECP...by that is for "slow runners"

2nd extract:

The medal and tee were promised by the sweepers to be given to anyone who wants to board the bus at the 33km mark at about 11am. I guess the organisers did it to avoid the increasing number of casuality.

I only boarded the bus at 35km cause of my injury, I got the shirt and medal too but it is cause I use it as a reminder of the pain I pushed through to 35km. What about these participants?

Apparently there was a sweeper bus but runners can choose to divert or board the bus.

Actually the first pic on the original blog post was a plus size lady, unfortunately when the blog got shared through social media, her face appeared big big on the FB walls. Some of the folks over at the HWZ forum were mocking her and her size without even reading the whole blog content, so I kind of pity her. The damage done to anyone who were wronged in that post might be more long lasting than we ever imagined, therefore they seek legal help? Anyway, the author had edited his post and apologized unreservedly.

I dont blame him for his righteous spirits in shaming the rats, i blame SCMS for their inadequate cut off timing policy.

In tropical countries, you may suffer Sun-grilled BBQ likes SCMS (unless your timing is sub 4 hours) and suffer "night shift" body and mind fatigue due to sleepiness and danger of trip likes Sundown Marathon !

Seems that scms quickly responded to the cheater cases... For this it seems a little unfair for those who came back after 8hrs... cause the last by right isn't the last .. cause those behind him had been given the short cut...

Tell you I know of runners got diverted to a shorter route but still finished it in a 8+ hours timing.Organiser shall just use the sweeper bus bring those runners to Padang and tell them train hard next year.

Sometime thing is not appear as what we see. Especially alternate media had make this worst.

Seems that scms quickly responded to the cheater cases... For this it seems a little unfair for those who came back after 8hrs... cause the last by right isn't the last .. cause those behind him had been given the short cut...

Tell you I know of runners got diverted to a shorter route but still finished it in a 8+ hours timing.Organiser shall just use the sweeper bus bring those runners to Padang and tell them train hard next year.

Sometime thing is not appear as what we see. Especially alternate media had make this worst.

but if this happens, it will lessen the number of participants... u see if less 1000 FM runners (all more than 7hrs timing) , easily means $65,000 less money....... as an organiser, its not easy to make a decision to cut off these money......

"But race organiser Spectrum Worldwide clarified yesterday that runners who had not crossed the race route's 13km mark - at the Fort Road entrance leading to East Coast Parkway (ECP) - by 7.30am were rerouted. This effectively reduced the race by almost half for them, cutting out the 17km East Coast stretch."

"Madam Xu Xiaoying, 27, one of six runners shamed on the blog, maintained her innocence, saying she was rerouted by marshals.

In between sobs, she told The Straits Times: "I passed the 12km mark but was not allowed to enter ECP. I continued running and found myself at the 31km mark."

Eh... What time is the flag off for FM? 7.30am route to ECP closed(13km mark).. More than 2 hrs have lapsed?. Did these runners walk all the way or late for flag off ???

It is rather sad that it always take fiascos before things get better. Last year's timing chip issue resulted in this year's new timing system. So I guess next year we will see close times at various checkpoints to avoid a repeat this year's fiasco (which should have been implemented in the first place). Hopefully we don't need to see more deaths before they take a more serious look at the hydration issues.

I still do not understand the rationale of SCMS to divert slower runners to shorter routes. There is a sweeper so if runners are too slow and they need to open up the roads by a certain time, they should have asked all the slower runners to board the sweeper to the finishing line instead. Isn't that supposed to be what the sweeper is for?

I get that SCMS is trying to encourage more mass participation to try out running marathons, but what is the point if the slower ones do not really get to experience the whole 42.195km, and still get the "pat on the back" with the finishers? This diminishes the value of running the marathon, as well as an insult to those who train hard for it.

I don't know how marathons are conducted in other countries, so can't comment if this is really an uniquely Singapore thing.

"But race organiser Spectrum Worldwide clarified yesterday that runners who had not crossed the race route's 13km mark - at the Fort Road entrance leading to East Coast Parkway (ECP) - by 7.30am were rerouted. This effectively reduced the race by almost half for them, cutting out the 17km East Coast stretch."

"Madam Xu Xiaoying, 27, one of six runners shamed on the blog, maintained her innocence, saying she was rerouted by marshals.

In between sobs, she told The Straits Times: "I passed the 12km mark but was not allowed to enter ECP. I continued running and found myself at the 31km mark."

Eh... What time is the flag off for FM? 7.30am route to ECP closed(13km mark).. More than 2 hrs have lapsed?. Did these runners walk all the way or late for flag off ???

flag off for FM is 5am.. different waves.. i was in the 4th wave which started about 5.10am.. (elite - 1st, below 5hrs - 2 waves, above 5hrs - 4th wave onwards)

flag off for FM is 5am.. different waves.. i was in the 4th wave which started about 5.10am.. (elite - 1st, below 5hrs - 2 waves, above 5hrs - 4th wave onwards)

Alvin bro, can I just confirm on your flag off time? 4th wave was at 5:10am? I was flagged off at 5:15am and always thought it was 3rd wave(remnants of scattered blue bibs together with 1st wave red bibs?), after my last minute toilet trip. Or I sa-lah liao?