Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

They are indeed passionate and able to juggle their time... I believe they traina lot too... Wonder how they do it... I saw them in gold Coast and my... They were fast...

The photographer has done a great job by digging out these rats! He should stationed at the pavilions to take pic of these people. Think he will snap more

Those ppl photographed don't even look sweaty(other than one)or seemly went thru 35km of run under the heat. The first two red bibs runners so relax,jus like strolling. lolz

Those who are looking for your pics can try adding this page 'Sentient Moments" in FB, they have almost 30 albums, found my first pic there (other than marathon photos). :)

The only thing that bothers me about these 'rats' is that it affects a Finisher's actual position.

I was hoping for a clean race so at least I know where I stand in the field but for the organiser to consider these people as 'finishers' and does not exclude them from the ranking does not make the ranking anymore credible.

If McDonald is still at old ECP venue, these people will go in enjoy a meal and after that continue their "return trip" to finishing line.

The only thing that bothers me about these 'rats' is that it affects a Finisher's actual position.

I was hoping for a clean race so at least I know where I stand in the field but for the organiser to consider these people as 'finishers' and does not exclude them from the ranking does not make the ranking anymore credible.

to organizers, only the top positions which affects monetary reward affects them. And they cldnt be bothered even after the incident which happened few years back? One guy, totally unknown ran faster thn Mok Yin Ren. This man made the whole organizing management team jump and searching for clues to who this guy is...

Its about high time they do something to these people. They shld consider issuing medals and t-shirts only after official results r out. Those who missed checkpoints and finish above cut off timing are considered DNF. In this way, cheaters will be totally removed.

to organizers, only the top positions which affects monetary reward affects them. And they cldnt be bothered even after the incident which happened few years back? One guy, totally unknown ran faster thn Mok Yin Ren. This man made the whole organizing management team jump and searching for clues to who this guy is...

Its about high time they do something to these people. They shld consider issuing medals and t-shirts only after official results r out. Those who missed checkpoints and finish above cut off timing are considered DNF. In this way, cheaters will be totally removed.

But the problem about timing at checkpoints is that sometimes their timing system can also cock-up. Like last year I remembered something about many runners' time not captured because of a flaw in the timing chip. Then there is also a problem whereby runners not stepping on the timing mat.

So if I (as the organiser) would follow strictly to not giving medals and finisher tee to those who have missed checkpoint timing, any 'innocent' runner who in no fault on his/her was unable to get the timing, then all hell would broke lose from complaints and all that.

On the other hand, if I was to just heck care and give out medals indiscriminately, the only people who would complain are those who feel that justice and fairness must ultimately prevail, which I can feel is smaller in number. And since everyone who finished (honestly or not) is given the medal and tee, the number who feels the injustice will be even smaller.

So I will choose the lesser of 2 evils.

But the problem about timing at checkpoints is that sometimes their timing system can also cock-up. Like last year I remembered something about many runners' time not captured because of a flaw in the timing chip. Then there is also a problem whereby runners not stepping on the timing mat.

So if I (as the organiser) would follow strictly to not giving medals and finisher tee to those who have missed checkpoint timing, any 'innocent' runner who in no fault on his/her was unable to get the timing, then all hell would broke lose from complaints and all that.

On the other hand, if I was to just heck care and give out medals indiscriminately, the only people who would complain are those who feel that justice and fairness must ultimately prevail, which I can feel is smaller in number. And since everyone who finished (honestly or not) is given the medal and tee, the number who feels the injustice will be even smaller.

if its really due to technical fault, then benefit of the doubt shld be given and all runners will be given the entitlement.

but what I would really see SCMS do is, to limit the amt of runners for both FM and HM. Lower the cut off timing. And to show proof of completion from previous race in order to be granted a race slot. And slots to be awarded to those who are well above the cut off time and then followed by lottery system for people who are on the borderline.

And to be able to claim that it is the most prestigious race in the SG race calendar due to the Gold Label, it must first get the right runners to participate. It must make people work hard towards it and make them truly feel the prestige to be able to run in SCMS.

Summary: organizer should not include those DNF in the ranking to be fair to those who cross all timing mats .

Also, dun u guys think that SCMS and sundown is becoming more of a Big Walk???

Summary: organizer should not include those DNF in the ranking to be fair to those who cross all timing mats .

Also, dun u guys think that SCMS and sundown is becoming more of a Big Walk???

every race is a big walk. i do know of people who join without training. their respond is just, aiya, run also complete, walk also complete why bother to train.

One possibility is that some runners walked back due to injury. And having done that, they may have still felt entitled to collect the medal and finisher tee since they already paid for it. Sigh.

There were indeed quite a few possible rats I saw. So demoralizing since they looked so comfortable while I'm struggling with fatigue and pain.

I thought they should DQ runners if they failed to clock in timing for 2 out of the 3 mats at ECP (20km, 25km & 30km). Since some runners will mistakenly turn right to Marina Barrage after they reached ECP. anyway, this is not the firs time ppl turn right at the 15km mark already.

Also, hearsay that some runners were diverted from 15 km to the 31km as they did not meet the cut off timing.... is this true?

I took part in quite a number of years in local marathons and had seen so many of such rats until I can do nothing but just felt bad for them... They may be able to cheat the organisers but they wun be able to cheat the serious runners like us and of course their own guilt... All I can do is that I will run past them and give them a stare... That's all... Haa

Not easy to prevent such rat. Timing shall put as DNF. I remember my friend run a shorter distance due to the heavy storm at the sundown marathon but still got his certificate with timing of sub 6. That his PB timing.

My exact sentiments regarding the possibility of technical faults. I was a participant of the ST Run at the Hub this year and for the 21km category, where there were a total of 5 checkpoints, multiple runners amongst the top 10 finishers - relatively prominent ones in Singapore - actually lacked some checkpoint data.

I don't think it is much of a hassle for organisers to filter out runners with checkpoint data missing on the results list. However, assuming it was due to a technical error and not someone who deliberately skipped checkpoints, this would lead to a barrage of complaints. This is because I'm willing to guess these very people would get their race results and entitlements than to see cheaters miss out on these. (I wouldn't deny that if I was in this situation, the same would apply for me.) Why not achieve both, some may argue. However, with checkpoint data missing, what is a logistical sound manner of ascertaining whether a runner actually ran the distance?

One last point I would like to add is that with a multitude of runners arriving at the medal or finisher tee tents, it is a logistical nightmare to be able to first ascertain that each individual runner had crossed all checkpoints before handing out the entitlements. What's more, from the organiser's point of view, I believe they have to pre-order sufficient entitlements (though certain tee sizes may not be sufficient). Consequently, by going the extra mile to seize out these individuals, they are left with extra entitlements specific to the event.

Overall, I really think NoobieRunner nailed it - what the organisers do is the lesser of two evils. It may be less principled, but it is certainly is more pragmatic in my opinion.

Those who are looking for your pics can try adding this page 'Sentient Moments" in FB, they have almost 30 albums, found my first pic there (other than marathon photos). :)

usually i look through all these pages for running photos..

running shots

running kaki

eye-see-eye-shoot

runsociety

run mo cap

runevent shots

sg running (personal page)

chasing shots

tan kim lai (personal page)

runcapture

sports snapshots

run gallery SG